LETS see these DIY Auto Top Off containers

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dollar general trash bin. 6 bucks and a couple minutes with a dremel and good to go.

1533261662111-1505389715.jpg

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have three water lines directly attached to RO and then go to float valves in all three of our sumps. Float valves are in the sumps. No ATO. The left over RO water goes to 55gal barrel. So far very simple and very easy.

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my ATO today, mine's just going to be an 11 gallon trash can I picked up at Target for about $10. It'll fit in my stand when I'm finished building it, I'll just drill a little hole in the lid for a tube to run through so the lid could stay closed.

Crimsonphoenix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
00AD849A-A6B9-447D-A274-A20F7232703F.jpeg
I use a 5 gallon alcohol jug with a peace of stiff tubing inside and an inline shut off valve to gravity feed ro to my sump with an eshopp float. It works great on my 36 bow with 15 sump.
C86F1EA3-C26F-4B68-A5A3-583A21BA65BD.jpeg

mknightryder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using a 13g trashcan for a cpl years now. I drilled it out and added a lock line fitting for the rodi tubing to attach to. The 13g feeds my AM Kalk stirrer and the smaller 5g jug catches ato. Fill the 13g every three weeks and the 5g once a week... I need to add another loc line bulkhead and drop the tunze pump into the trashcan so I don't have to fill two jugs... Been procrastinating on that though... I figure if I give myself extra space under the stand I'll end up with a remote refugium, frag tank, or a cryptic zone in the added space...;Woot lol

20180803_095642.jpg

OMGitsManBearPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My solution in only a hybrid DIY because I found and am using the Hydor Smart Level Controller on Amazon for about $45.

So, I dropped some tubing weighed down by a couple of airstones zip-tied to the end as ballast to the bottom of the jug.

I found a small pump from amazon for under $8 that takes DC 12v.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0744FWNFR/
I zip-tied this with the pump over and pointing toward the sump in case it explodes, leaks, loses a fitting, and/or otherwise fails.

I scavenged a 12v DC transformer and plugged t into the Hydor.

I zip-tied the outlet tubing to my emergency drain and cinched the crap out of it to restrict the flow slightly ... because it was just barely overrunning the very slow sensors the Hydor controller monitors. I'm sure I could use variable pot on the DC supply... but this solution was field expedient and effective. Pump is dead quiet. Water is audible on purpose. I like knowing its working. Hydor has been 100% reliable so far.

Every 3.5-4 days I do a bottle swap. Easy as it gets for $65.

PICS

ATOShot1.jpg ATOShot2.jpg

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little fancy, but it was still a DIY project!

20160917_161251_zpsswuzrucp_edit_1474239762105.jpg

And I am assuming your DIY mesh tank cover is made from NASA grade carbon fiber and is fully retractable and hides behind the tank and is operated via an app that you designed yourself?

Seriously, that’s a nice DIY ATO for sure!

Mike

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
036F67C5-8CCC-42EE-A721-C61A234EC734.png
23G Slim brute can (right side of pic)
As it’s name says it’s slim and fit perfectly in my limited space and holds a lot of RODI water for my 180G+30G frag evaporation! Just drilled a float valve into the side to connect to my RODI system in the next room over when I’m low. I have a optical sensor in the bottom hooked to my Neptune Ststems ATK to set an alarm off when it’s low. So I never have to move the brute can to fill it! Then built a shelf over the top to conceal it!

Ever consider adding a door panel over hte front of it to keep the sleek look across the whole span?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After many hours of labor ( 10 min rinse job ) and spending the bank on this (free) here is mine. 15 gallon chemical drum.
Top_Off.JPG

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made an acrylic 10 gallon top off reservoir that sits inside the web of my aluminum stand. I started with a cardboard mock up to make sure it would fit.

1.jpg
2.jpg

With the reservoir elevated above the sump, I just use a float valve and gravity. There is also a needle valve to regulate the water flow a slow drip in case the float valve sticks.

4.jpg

It also feeds fresh water to my quarantine tank that sits in the stand next to my sump.

5.jpg

3.jpg

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made an acrylic 10 gallon top off reservoir that sits inside the web of my aluminum stand. I started with a cardboard mock up to make sure it would fit.

1.jpg
2.jpg

With the reservoir elevated above the sump, I just use a float valve and gravity. There is also a needle valve to regulate the water flow a slow drip in case the float valve sticks.

4.jpg

It also feeds fresh water to my quarantine tank that sits in the stand next to my sump.

5.jpg

3.jpg

Sweet set up

Doug B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 Gallon paint bucket plumbed directly into my RODI unit using a tunze water controller and a float switch, with the tunze ato. Installed once, never messed with again.

Stpeteshawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATO began it's life as a Soda Ash bucket from my pool, and a water jug. I could not fit my reservoir under the tank, so this ugly setup sat next to the stand.

ATO Resivior 1.jpg

This setup gave me about ten gallons of water, and a siphon point that was at the level of the water in the bucket. This siphon point was important, because if it was above the level of my sump, the water would have siphoned.

I eventually painted the bucket black, and the water jug on the top made water additions easy....just like an old fashion water cooler. What eventually happened is that the lid of the bucket ripped.

ATO Reservior Torn Lid.jpg

This was fixed by cutting a 1/2 plexiglass piece to fit the lid.

ATO Reservior Plexi Lid.jpg

ATO Reservior Plexi Installed.jpg

Next came a cabinet that was on four small caster wheels and could easily be pulled out to change the water jug.

ATO Reservior Cover Open.jpg

ATO Reservior Cover Closed.jpg

However, what this did was now hide the water jug and I wouldn't know when it needed to be replaced. So a horizontal float switch was installed in the side of the bucket.

ATO Reservior Horizontal Float Switch.jpg

ATO Reservior Float Switch Outside.jpg

This went through a relay to an LED that was installed in the face of my equipment cabinet...that green LED between the controllers.

ATO Reservior LED Warning Light.jpg

When the water level drops below the float switch, the LED comes on telling me it's time to add a new jug of water.

Do you have more info on the float switch LED setup? Parts used maybe. I really like that idea.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1.jpg
2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

3.jpg

Any problems with the float valve?

Have any systems in place to detect if it gets stuck open?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have more info on the float switch LED setup? Parts used maybe. I really like that idea.

I believe all you'll need starts HERE, from post 78 - 80

Now I kept on blowing LED's (too much voltage), so I added a resistor HERE. If I was doing this all over again, I'd simply use a lower voltage wall wart....1.5 to 2 volts.

Let me know if you need any more info. :cool:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 69 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 64 27.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back