Let's talk about the hanna meters....

FallRiverReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you're trying to get a reading that is under .1 then it kind of defeats the purpose...if my reading is .4 then I'm more than within reason to think that my reading is actually .8, that doesn't help much at all...if we were using it to determine large margins then it works perfectly...but for this hobby and what we are using it for .4 is too large a margin.

Mr Beardsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually when somthing is a great tool, you know if it is or it isn't correct. That's the problem....

Unfortunately this also goes for just about any hobby level test kit you buy. Without a reference solution to verify that your test kit is giving the proper results, you don't know where you stand with them either. I asked Randy on RC about getting a reference solution that had appropriate NSW values, and was told that it would be extremely expensive.

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The problem lies with the fact that nobody has proved it is correct or incorrect.

Until then, I will continue to assume that it is "close enough for government work" and utilize it if something is off in my tank.

I don't use it as a monthly test - I use it if something seems wrong. I'm not going to rely on the meter 100%, just like I don't rely 100% on regular test kits either.

Mr Beardsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you're trying to get a reading that is under .1 then it kind of defeats the purpose...if my reading is .4 then I'm more than within reason to think that my reading is actually .8, that doesn't help much at all...if we were using it to determine large margins then it works perfectly...but for this hobby and what we are using it for .4 is too large a margin.

The margin of error is .04 not .4. A reading of .4 would be quite high.

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually. a few chemists on RC "proved" it was very inaccurate. Search.....

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great thread, and good to know all this info as though i don't have one, been seriously considering purchasing one.

One thing I might point out with only seeing pictures of 0 results is something I keep in the back of my mind all the time with this hobby- Most folks who put up pics are proud of the stuff they're pics show. You don't see too many pictures of something gone horribly wrong as well, people don't like to show it. When i gave myself a mini-crash in my tank, my picture posting went to 0 while I hid my shame, when certain things are looking decent, I feel more confident to put stuff up for display. As such I doubt you'll see people showing off "hey, look how high my phosphates show!" especially given the internets tendency to scold people like that, ya know?

I would have happily posted whatever it showed. I even made the remark with my pics that I wish it had read 0.01 or 0.02 rather than 0.00. I was posting my pics to hopefully help spur some discussion, of which there's been a lot since.

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually got the 1.0 reference kit with my meter and was saving it for a rainy day (I actually thought it was a vial of 1.0 solution that I could use over and over, but it's actually a 1 time deal with a packet of 1.0 reagent - I was not happy about spending $10 on this, boo Hanna for not giving more detail on their website about the reference kit - I feel like I ate a $ h i t sandwich without the bread). Since it's sprinkling outside in SLC and people's legs are getting peed on in this forum, perhaps I'll give it a go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay okay let's analyze this for a min....
.04 plus or minus margin for error... Okay that's acceptable in this hobby for what we use it for....
I'm really curious by using both vials or using one and having it dirty or not in the exact same position how come it's always zero??? How far does that throw it off??? It should error or something instead of giving you a good feeling that you won the battle... My point is just explain this in the directions what needs to be done in what exact order to give us the truest reading we can achieve...basically what do I need to do get my meter to read within the .04 error margin everytime... But if by me using both covets my po4 is at like 1.25 or something crazy and I'm getting a zero reading why use it?????

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: This one's really going to stir the pot. So I'm getting ready to do this 1.0 reference "Certified Standard Kit" to make sure the meter's reading right. (Side Note: The Certified Standard Kit has a hand signed certificate of analysis for the 1.0 reading BUT...BUT it has a deviation of +/- 0.08....Fut the Wuck?? LOL..um, ok) Well, the standard kit comes with two vials...a ZERO solution vial and a 1.0 solution vial. It actually tells you to run the test the same way as normal, but to use both vials! So what's all this about only using the same vial and orienting it the same and everything. Hmmmm

Well, let's see if it tests 1.0....stay tuned.

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow! The standard kit says acceptable results should be 0.92 - 1.08. Unacceptable.

I just lost my chubby for this thing...and, of course, I just ordered 100 reagent packets.

Last edited:

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They're reading low. No wonder 0.00s are coming in all over the place.

Recall!?!?!

Let's get that Hanna rep that's been hanging out on RC over here to read this thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They're reading low. No wonder 0.00s are coming in all over the place.

Recall!?!?!

Let's get that Hanna rep that's been hanging out on RC over here to read this thread.
my thought's exactly!!!!!!! wonder how we can contact them... maybe a email with a link to this thread from there site???

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
HANNA instruments®, Inc.
584 Park East Drive
Woonsocket, RI 02895
Phone: 800.426.6287 • 401.765.7500
Fax: 401.765.7575
General Sales: [email protected]
Technical Support: [email protected]

HANNA instruments®, Inc.
3820 Packard Road
Suite 120
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48108
Phone: 800.504.2662
Fax: 734.971.8155
Customer Support: [email protected]
Technical Support: [email protected]

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
done... i sent a link to this thread straight to hanna technical support... let's see what happens.....

Last edited:

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 87 42.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 102 49.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.4%
Back