Let's talk rock types

fishnerd1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seen alot of option on rock out there, need some recommendations. I like the idea of 'dry' rock and using a LPS for some live rock to start the cycle. Seems the Marco Largo might be a good choice, not sure on the florida aquaculture dry stuff, 2 suppliers found so far. Also saw a local merchant selling aquascape dry rock in Shelby, from Florida also - no details yet from them. any experience. Will be buying 200-300# to start and maybe rubble for the sump/refugium.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with bulkreefsuppl.com or good old macrorock.com.... I Like macro i do believe both though you can email and tell them what your looking for though.

raymond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i alway go for what ever rock i can find on craigslist, craigslist has saved me alot of money, but really i would just get a nice pourous rock base and add a few good pieces and it all be live rock soon enough

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i alway go for what ever rock i can find on craigslist, craigslist has saved me alot of money, but really i would just get a nice pourous rock base and add a few good pieces and it all be live rock soon enough

That IMO is a very bad idea, how do you know what critters that guy has? It could be infested with flate works Aspesta or other bad things.

OP
OP
F

fishnerd1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the concern in Craigs list. Can save a lot of $ but at what cost. I've been looking on Craigs for other interesting equipment. Since I'm a new start I could bleach wash anything I find to kill unwanted before starting but this adds time and hassle vs savings. We'll see what works best.

Looked at BRS the Figi looks good too. Which is better for scaping - reefsaver, Pukani or Figi? Maybe a mix of the Figi and Pukani is best.

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with buying rock off craigslist it can be kind of risky but then i mean it all depends if you go and the guy has pictures of his set up and is just breaking it down because he no longer wants to be part of the hobby well then I think it is okay to buy from him. But if its just some guy with some rock in the garage it might be a little sketchy. I am all for dry rock though you can aquascape it however you want and then you can easily seed it with some live rock.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with buying rock off craigslist it can be kind of risky but then i mean it all depends if you go and the guy has pictures of his set up and is just breaking it down because he no longer wants to be part of the hobby well then I think it is okay to buy from him. But if its just some guy with some rock in the garage it might be a little sketchy. I am all for dry rock though you can aquascape it however you want and then you can easily seed it with some live rock.

Still many people with nice tanks still have things you dont want. I would stay with the dry rock BRS they have three to choose from and they work with you on sizes and shape. Also get in on a group buy and save alot of money.

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't know what you are looking for (pest, etc..or what to stay away from), I would go with Marco Rocks or BRS rocks (or any Dry porous rock really) and seed it from a trustworthy reefer. Dry rocks tend to cost less too

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any group buys for rocks ever done off the forum? If so how do you start?
our local club just started one. they are really easy to get one going all you need is ten people their emails then you send their emails to them from their brs account they set it all up you log in and get discounted stuff they usually knock off about 4-5 bucks off an item and the only thing that kills is shipping but they do have 175 free shipping. anyhow good luck with your venture

OP
OP
F

fishnerd1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is rock a common purchase you can get a group easily? If not so frequent can you connect me with the the one that just started or tell me how to hook-up? I'm looking at a good chunk of rock and anything helps in this hobby, got enough to buy over the next few months as I set-up.

OP
OP
F

fishnerd1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about live rock ranch products, the're running <$2/# dry. How's that compare to BRS material?

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to brs reef saver rock. Great prices and the pieces you get are generally pretty sweet, plus you don't have to worry about pests etc. The only draw back is you don't get to see what you get ahead of time.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used mostly Marco Key Largo dry rock for my reef. But I did add some of the Pukani from BRS and that stuff is the BOMB! just make sure that you either start the cycle with the Pukani or cure it out in another tank/container with AGGRESSIVE skimming before you add it to an established tank. That stuff had some really funky stuff dead and dried up in it!!! Marco was good to go right out of the box.

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive seen marco rocks stuff at shows and man that is all nice rock. Pieces are nice a pourous really good looking stuff and then if you get that concrete stuff it works awesome you can build some pretty awesome stuff fairly easily a buddy of mine is building stuff all the time and it seems to work pretty easily i dig it.

HiroPro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the shelf roclk from BRS and really like it. I wanted to build some towers for a 120G I'm building.

Here's a pic of the towers:

DSCF6218.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 80 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 64 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back