Let's talk rock types

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those towers are awesome. I'm gonna have to add some of those pieces on my next BRS order. Thanks for sharing.

blesk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the shelf roclk from BRS and really like it. I wanted to build some towers for a 120G I'm building.

Here's a pic of the towers:

DSCF6218.jpg

Hi hiropro hove many pounds is that i vona geth idea vhot tu order from them fore me 90 rimles thanks.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like the pukani and the shelf from brs. i also would not discount the tonga branch. i have 1 rock that i got which is from marco its flat and layered i picked it from a huge box at premium aquatics.

Raggamuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have less misgivings about craigslist, toss it out back overnight and it is dry rock here :D of course it is -20 out!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used marco rocks and they are great. Nothing wrong with rock off craigs list if you are going to go the dry rock route anyway. Just bleach the rock andthen soak in vinigar for a while. Another place to get rock is from people tearing or have tore down thier tanks. Recycle when ever you can.

Dave Polzin

OP
OP
F

fishnerd1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well made my first buy last week on a BRS group buy. I ordered 100# of the Pukani and requested larger pieces since I want to reach high into the tank. I was amazed when the 3 boxes arrived. Very well packed with less than 1# of rubble even though Pukani is brittle. I thought the big box was my largest piece so I opened it first. Turned out this box contained 2 pieces12-14" each. The 2 smaller boxes contained one rock each - one over 17" tall and the second almost 21". This stuff is huge and perfect for my needs. I'm starting the curing process this weekend so in a couple weeks when my tank arrives and I complete install it is ready. Plan of ordering another 150# of reef saver Eco to fulfill my bio needs, build the bases and create the lower strucutres and caves. I should be starting the build thread in 4-6 weeks if all goes well.

Thanks for the advise it helped alot.

geckoman2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about live rock ranch products, the're running <$2/# dry. How's that compare to BRS material?

Please, think twice before buying here. I ordered online from them Tuesday. I received my comformation number for the "placed order". I did not hear from them after that until I had made several calls and emails. The finall email I asked for a reply or a refund. The funy thing is a got a phone call with in a few hours. I spoke to a Roger. He said he had "just pulled 2,000 lbs of fresh rock and we only ship on Monays. We aren't Amazon.com. We are a small company. You can call me back Monday for a tracking number."
So, I'm going to make one call tuesday morning, and if he doesn't have my tracking number I'll be calling my bank. It scares me that I haveto call him to get a tracking number.
I did alot of web suffing before I bought and couldn't find anything bad about them untill after they had my money. I'm trying to give him a chance. Who knows? Maybe next thursday I'll have the best looking rock I've ever seen. I'll just have t hold my breath untill then. May be they us need someone who knows how to do e-commerce to comme run their customer service department.
BTW...I have now heard great things about Tampa bay Saltwater.. To little to late for me!

Update....My order finally came in yesterday. Here are the results.
Pros....ordered 15 lb - 17lb, nice shapes and sizes, rock was double bagged
Cons...Rock was nearly dry due to no wet news paper wrapping, covered in sand, ordered Their
"permium deco rock" but most of the deco life was already dead, no insulation or heat packs in box

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 92 43.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 72 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back