Leveling 265 Gallon Aquarium

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got my new-to-me 265 gallon coming next week, going into my basement, the floor of which I know is far from level. My question is how does one go about leveling such a large and heavy aquarium? It is coming with a sturdy wood stand.

First thing that comes to mind are plastic shims like what I used on my 55, but I fear even those may be crushed over time.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used wooden shims in the past. Most tanks of this size will have a metal stand with leveling feet but if yours is solid wood I would use shims.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wood stand, no leveling feet.

Really? I really would think wood shims would be crushed over time, tank weighing some 3000+lbs when full.

Gets me thinking though, there is a fabrication shop just down the street, maybe they can put together a platform for the stand to sit on that has adjustable feet..?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have shimmed many tanks of around this size mostly 8ft 240s. The shims worked just fine. Do they crush over the years I don’t know. I have never checked the level after the initial set up but I can tell you that some of the large 300s and 240s that I set up when I worked at an LFS years ago are still going strong today. If it still holds water after 10 years it can’t be a horrible solution.

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got my new-to-me 265 gallon coming next week, going into my basement, the floor of which I know is far from level. My question is how does one go about leveling such a large and heavy aquarium? It is coming with a sturdy wood stand.

First thing that comes to mind are plastic shims like what I used on my 55, but I fear even those may be crushed over time.
So I would personally do a concrete pad down there maybe 2” thick make it level and bam take the guess work out of everything. Easier for me to say it because I dabble in concrete daily. But I would imagine that would be easier or you can make a 2x4 pedistal and cut rakes to the floor but that way is a lot more difficult and time consuming.

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Timberwolf composite shims that you can find at Lowe's. I found this test report on their website that states that there was no permanent deformation when tested.

Composite shims will hold forever use them in construction but it’s not will the shims hold it’s more a question will the shims dig into the wood over time causing it to become unlevel again.

if you go this route grab some 1/8” angel iron 2”x2” and skirt the bottom with it that will hold it for sure

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought about a concrete pad, but I don't have the time, tools or expertise to do it right.

I think composite shims and angle iron will do the trick.

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Composite shims will hold forever use them in construction but it’s not will the shims hold it’s more a question will the shims dig into the wood over time causing it to become unlevel again.

if you go this route grab some 1/8” angel iron 2”x2” and skirt the bottom with it that will hold it for sure

Good point. I have my composite shims under the plastic feet of my stand.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put in an 8 foot tank that was perfectly level when full, 30 days later and now I have to shim it some more due to the wood floors flexing. It sucks

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
how much off in 8' span also 4' span front to back?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
my train of thinking is 3/4 or 1" pink insulation foam board on floor ,weight of tank will find true level
unless more that half inch either way

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only wish my basement was that level. It's 1/2" off over a 48" span, and 1/4 off the width.

Might have to get... Funky... With this big one.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
as said earlier ,build a platform going from 0 to height needed,3/4 exterior ply ,exterior 2x ripped to sizes ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back