LFS needs help with SPS flat

Logank872

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have been working at a lfs over the last year and some change and I’ve seen a decline in their Sps coral flats. I’ve kept heavy mixed reefs and had success with high end sps before but now I will be taking over the responsibility of these huge systems which I’ve only had under 50 gallon tanks before. I understand quite a lot about reefs but this still confuses me. Attached I have included our past water tests, live rock section which holds the bacteria for the tank (which I think is way too little), and some examples of the discoloring or dying corals. Personally I believe it’s a lack of live bacteria populations, higher nitrates (I’m a believer in low nitrate <5ppm systems), low alk, and lack of broadcast feeding. Currently we’re doing 80 gallon water changes weekly on this ~350 gallon system. No coral foods, mysis fed everyday. Any ideas will help! Thanks in advance.

IMG_3614.jpeg IMG_3617.jpeg IMG_3616.jpeg IMG_3615.jpeg IMG_3613.jpeg IMG_3612.jpeg

OP
OP
L

Logank872

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More water changes and if you have a skimmer on the system maybe try a carbon source to feed bacteria and drop that no3.
The other employee was dosing synthesis to keep nitrates in the tank but with everything looking so bad I finally got the owners approval to take over and turn it down. Thanks for your input!

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is alk being dosed? I'm willing to bet that is a majority of the issue. High nitrates won't hurt sps, they will just go slightly brown. Alk instability on the other hand can really stress sps. I wouldn't worry about the limited amount of rock either you have all the bacteria you need literally coating every surface in that system.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other employee was dosing synthesis to keep nitrates in the tank but with everything looking so bad I finally got the owners approval to take over and turn it down. Thanks for your input!
I’m one of the few who truly believe in bottled bacteria even after my tank has cycled! Most say it’s snake oil but I can happily say I’ve been a stick head since day one and over 20 years I’ve always been able to keep sps without any issues like most people have.. I just came back after a 10yr break and set up a new tank that’s still thriving with sps by just using bottled bacteria and a carbon source to feed the bacteria… sunnyx has plenty of write ups on it and his tank is proof it works and it works well..water changes also to replenish all minor and major trace elements is key also in my opinion.

OP
OP
L

Logank872

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is alk being dosed? I'm willing to bet that is a majority of the issue. High nitrates won't hurt sps, they will just go slightly brown. Alk instability on the other hand can really stress sps. I wouldn't worry about the limited amount of rock either you have all the bacteria you need literally coating every surface in that system.
Dosing fusion 2 to keep it around 8-9dkh. Its being dosed by a vertex libra dosing module.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back