Life-time GHL ION probe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

What was the life-time of your ION probe?

• 0 months (never worked)

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • 0-1 month

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • 1-2 months

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • 2-3 months

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • 3-4 months

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • 4-5 months

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • +6 months

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven’t heard boo, but the plan was air freight to U.S. last week or Matthias hand-carrying them last Saturday. Maybe they are just unpacking and organizing shipping plans.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and ordered the ReefBot Lab today.

I gave up. The delay's (apparently still an issue), consumables cost, etc.
Will spend my GHL money on other items, but I think I am out for good on the ION-D
Good luck to the rest of you. I assume once you get your gear it will work better than the prior iteration.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went ahead and ordered the ReefBot Lab today.

I gave up. The delay's (apparently still an issue), consumables cost, etc.
Will spend my GHL money on other items, but I think I am out for good on the ION-D
Good luck to the rest of you. I assume once you get your gear it will work better than the prior iteration.
Curious about the latest ReefBot. Maybe start a thread with your thoughts/impression?

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was really cheering for GHL on this... I like their products and have been happy using their KH Director and Dosers for 4+ years. I pre-ordered the ION-Director in 2021, and then cancelled my order in late 2022. Aside from the delays, I realized that $3+/test was just too steep. I like to test at least twice per day, but even testing once is nearly $100/mo. The Neptune Trident has treated me well alongside the KH Director, although I do prefer GHL over Neptune when it comes to their products. Trident is $100 for 6 months, but obviously doesn't test as many parameters

Like Matthias and Vinny said - if that's not in your budget, then ION Director may not be for you. Fair enough.

I'm sure there's a very good reason for it, but the ONE level I would like to auto-test (other than Alkalinity) is accurate PO4, which seemingly can only be done consistently at low levels with the Hanna ULR checker. I'm amazed that there isn't (or at least I haven't found) an automated solution to test PO4 as accurately as the Hanna ULR. ReefBot seems cool, but is missing this key functionality.

I do believe the ION Director will be a great piece of equipment, and I'm sure countless hours went into building and perfecting it. But between the delays, cost, and lack of PO4 measuring, the cost/benefit doesn't fit for me personally.

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what I'm missing, but a Hanna ULR tester is just 10ml of tank water and a packet of powder reagent. I, and I suspect many others, would pay a decent amount of money to have that simple process automated.

I do, however, believe in efficient markets, and if it could have been done effectively and efficiently in a profitable manner, I would imagine it would be available already.

The curios side of me is interested if anyone knows why it hasn't.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what I'm missing, but a Hanna ULR tester is just 10ml of tank water and a packet of powder reagent. I, and I suspect many others, would pay a decent amount of money to have that simple process automated.

I do, however, believe in efficient markets, and if it could have been done effectively and efficiently in a profitable manner, I would imagine it would be available already.

The curios side of me is interested if anyone knows why it hasn't.
If that's all you want, then the reefbot and focustronics mastertronic does that.

I, for one don't want a bot that simply automates what the hanna checkers do. Plus (and I don't know if the iond does this) I don't want a waste reservoir that collects spent test chemicals that needs to be frequently emptied. I think the goal is to have what ever is used for the test to be dumped into the tank and not harm anything.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If that's all you want, then the reefbot and focustronics mastertronic does that.

I, for one don't want a bot that simply automates what the hanna checkers do. Plus (and I don't know if the iond does this) I don't want a waste reservoir that collects spent test chemicals that needs to be frequently emptied. I think the goal is to have what ever is used for the test to be dumped into the tank and not harm anything.
Good points. I do think the IOND allows the waste to dump back to the tank, but not 100% positive on that.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I wasn't aware they dropped it but makes sense.
As far as I know the ReefBot does phosphate (PO4)
It is a simple reagent test that is colorimeter compatible.

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbot and IOND are 2 totally different methods of testing. ION prob vs colormetric testing.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbot and IOND are 2 totally different methods of testing. ION prob vs colormetric testing.

I did not read anyone here comparing the two as it relates to technology used or accuracy. I think more is around availability and cost per test.

Niche market in a hobby which is, of course, disposable income.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back