The hole is on the side of the lid were the rim is it small
hole is still open

16BD8C1A-0976-4622-A519-277BC8EE1F9D.jpeg

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet it is! If it weren't so salty you could probably turn a profit selling fertilizer lol

Was the float valve built in when you bought it or was that an extra add on?

I must say, as a reef octopus owner, my skimmer is my loudest piece of equipment. My sump is sealed up pretty well and the wood is fairly heavy, but I can still hear it outside. Could the noise you're hearing be normal skimmer loudness?

OP
OP
N

njreejer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just took it off & glued it back on, gonna test it out later. It’s such a hassle getting inside & taking out of my stand since it’s so big. Might just end up keeping it as a backup & trying out another skimmer. With my luck I’ll probably end up with another noisy one ;Hilarious heard NYOS skimmers are king of quiet. Might pick up a NYOS 120 or 160. Was hoping this would be the end of my search for skimmers

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

njreejer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet it is! If it weren't so salty you could probably turn a profit selling fertilizer lol

Was the float valve built in when you bought it or was that an extra add on?

I must say, as a reef octopus owner, my skimmer is my loudest piece of equipment. My sump is sealed up pretty well and the wood is fairly heavy, but I can still hear it outside. Could the noise you're hearing be normal skimmer loudness?
float valve is an add on & I’m highly doubting it’s regular skimmer loudness

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
just took it off & glued it back on, gonna test it out later. It’s such a hassle getting inside & taking out of my stand since it’s so big. Might just end up selling it & trying out another skimmer. With my luck I’ll probably end up with another noisy one ;Hilarious heard NYOS skimmers are king of quiet. Might pick up a NYOS 120 or 160. Was hoping this would be the end of my search for skimmers

I went to a LifeReef from a Nyos 120 - could never get it dialed in and continually put micro bubble into my tank. I gave it 6 weeks. My LifeReef started pulling junk out on day 2 of running.

OP
OP
N

njreejer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to a LifeReef from a Nyos 120 - could never get it dialed in and continually put micro bubble into my tank. I gave it 6 weeks. My LifeReef started pulling junk out on day 2 of running.
that's sad to hear.. this whole skimmer situation makes me want to take a break from my build

OP
OP
N

njreejer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tried out the pill bottle silencer method to silence the skimmer but it was still making the same air sucking noise. After researching extensively I found some people put cotton balls in the pill bottle & that helps quiet it down even more. So I filled up the pill bottle with cotton balls & FINALLY I have a quiet skimmer :D

CE59ABF4-D8C0-4E44-B38A-732136782D35.jpeg

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd chime in here even though I'm late to the game. I've had a LifeReef skimmer for 15 years and it is very quiet. My guess is your problem is with the neck cleaner. I realize you solved the problem for now, but you might want to swap out the neck cleaner for the original LIfeReef cup lid and see if you still have the noise.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back