Light Canopy Build. OceanRevive T247 & Bluefish light controller.

VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is for discussion on building a floating aquarium canopy containing 4 OceanRevive T247s
being controlled by the Bluefish Lighting controller with 6 channels. I will give a rundown on the OceanRevive Mod and the style of canopy I went with.

There was one thread on R2R that gave a basic how to on the OceanRevive / Bluefish mod, I have borrowed from this thread and just updated it with some extra info and graphics.

I hope this helps a few people out.
20180213_215843.jpg

OP
OP
VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing I did was research the Mod on the OceanRevives. I'm not huge on electrical work but this turned out to be quite simple with some research.
There a few gotchas like reducing the voltage from the bluefish from 10v to 5v.

OceanRevLightSchem.jpg

OP
OP
VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This canopy build is to go over a 260 gallon custom Crystal Dynamics tank. The tank is 84" long, 30" deep and 28" tall.
The canopy is 74" Long by 18" Deep. The build is basically a frame 4 cross sections for strength and 1/2 inch Maple planks skinning the outside of the frame.
The design has an open top for cooling reasons. I also using T and L brackets on all the joints to help with strength as the weight of the unit will mostly be on the back of the frame.

Here is a list of the materials I used.

CanopyBuildMaterials.jpg

OP
OP
VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the finish on the canopy I taped off the outside maple and painted the inside with black Flex Seal. Just to limit any sort of moisture warping that may occur.
The outside is a stain from Crystal Dynamics to match the maple stand. Then two coats of ploy sealer.
20180212_211653-1.jpg

[Cameron]

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work so far. How do you get the canopy out of the way to work in the tank? Are you planning on running the power through the wall to eliminate the visible cord?

teen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The TV arms swivel so that the whole canopy can move. Which is genius imo I'm about to rebuild my canopy and I now feel the need to incorporate this idea into my design. Canopy is looking awesome nice work.

OP
OP
VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work so far. How do you get the canopy out of the way to work in the tank? Are you planning on running the power through the wall to eliminate the visible cord?
The canopy moves back flat to the wall and yes that's just a temp wire. It's all run through the wall.

OP
OP
VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The TV arms swivel so that the whole canopy can move. Which is genius imo I'm about to rebuild my canopy and I now feel the need to incorporate this idea into my design. Canopy is looking awesome nice work.
Thank you. I must say I racked my brain for a solution. Tv arms just seemed to fit. Be conscious of weight though.

OP
OP
VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a picture on how did you mount the canopi on the tv arms.. just with the screws?

Hey, I'll upload an image later but it's bolted to the maple back board. It's a super hard wood so it's strong enough. It really will depend on the wood you use.

GodfathR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the controller from? Everywhere i look it's $199. Seems a little excessive for a controller. I was gonna get 2 of these ocean revives and the controller. All said and done another $100 gets me a 48 inch light with Wi-Fi built in from sb reef.

OP
OP
VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

VFX_Reef_Peacekeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the controller from? Everywhere i look it's $199. Seems a little excessive for a controller. I was gonna get 2 of these ocean revives and the controller. All said and done another $100 gets me a 48 inch light with Wi-Fi built in from sb reef.
Check out the bluefish website. Not sure if it's the best value but it's bulletproof and works. Been using bluefish for at least 4 years.

Dstngc74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason0101001

Did you use the bluefish mini or the regular bluefish? The other write ups I’ve seen about daisy chaining fixtures seemed to not work out but they were all using the mini so I wonder if that’s why it worked for you.

Also, did you run wires from each channel on the BF to each fixture, or did you just use channels 1/2 on BF and then continue those same lines to each fixture via aux jack?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 194 71.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back