Lighting question

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I'm running 2 Kessil 160we with a HO T5 2 bulb fixture over my 75g. I'm adding 2 more Kessils to even out the light better over the tank. What I want to do is clean up the top of the tank, it's too cluttered with goose necks and the the T5 fixture. I'll be making a lighting fixture out of pvc to mount the Kessils to.
I made a rough drawing to give you an idea of what I have now and what I plan to do. The first is what I have now over the tank. The Kessils are more in the front with this set up. Everything is growing and doing well.
The second is one of the set ups I was thinking about, I get to use the T5 but it gets very cluttered over the tank.
The third is the set up I'm leaning towards, I toss the T5 and center the Kessils over the tank, it will be nice and clean over the tank. What are your thoughts? Before anyone mentions selling them and getting others, I love the shimmer!
IMG_1058_zps9bx0xxkd.jpg

OP
OP
jd371

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sleek lines. I'd go with no 2, but put the Kessils all on the back (or front). The whole thing hangs, right? The mounting legs look pretty low.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1141.JPG

What about mounting the Kessils to the T5 fixture? Here is a pic of mine mounted to my ATI T5 fixture. It only cost about $3 for the 48in long piece of aluminum from HD.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with everyone here. Definitely keep the T5, more bulbs if you can do it, either way, keeping T5's and mounting the Kessils in some creative way, like @Highgrade shows. Looks like a great setup!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get one of these bad boys link effect to it and adjust;) one can always wrap it for the canopy effect and suspend it

OP
OP
jd371

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input guys. I made a final drawing of what I plan to do. I'll be using black furniture grade PVC for the 2 extensions coming out from the wall and mount the lights to the PVC. I can run all the wires for the Kessils inside the PVC to hide them. The only thing I have to figure out now is how to mount the T5 to the PVC, I'd like to get it off the tank.
IMG_1059_zpso6diy5ou.jpg

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1220.JPG
Thanks for the input guys. I made a final drawing of what I plan to do. I'll be using black furniture grade PVC for the 2 extensions coming out from the wall and mount the lights to the PVC. I can run all the wires for the Kessils inside the PVC to hide them. The only thing I have to figure out now is how to mount the T5 to the PVC, I'd like to get it off the tank.
IMG_1059_zpso6diy5ou.jpg
What about using conduit and painting black? I did this with a previous tank. You could run the cords for the Kessils through it if cutouts are made. I used eye hooks with black chain from HD to hang the T5 and kessils.

OP
OP
jd371

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Highgrade, I already have the black 3/4" PVC with the rounded end caps, it's furniture grade and has a really nice finish to it, and I will drill holes to run the wire through. I will use the eye hooks to hang the Kessils, but I still need to figure out how to mount the T5 to the PVC. I will probably have to take the housing apart and drill into it and install an eye hook and hang it from the PVC as well.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Highgrade, I already have the black 3/4" PVC with the rounded end caps, it's furniture grade and has a really nice finish to it, and I will drill holes to run the wire through. I will use the eye hooks to hang the Kessils, but I still need to figure out how to mount the T5 to the PVC. I will probably have to take the housing apart and drill into it and install an eye hook and hang it from the PVC as well.
What type of T5 fixture? Is it metal or plastic?

OP
OP
jd371

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'd say drilling would be an option depending on the internal cables and ballast. You may have to take the unit apart or get clever with some sort of brackets.
Yeah, I don't want to take it apart, I'll take a look when I get home and see if it's doable. Thank you

OP
OP
jd371

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. I was going to changed the lighting a few weeks ago, but the PVC I used was too thin and made it hard to run the wires through it. I bought a larger diameter PVC and finally got around to changing it out last weekend. I also swapped out the T5 fixture for one that I had that wasn't as wide as the one I replaced and used VHB 3m double sided tape to secure it for hanging. I also added a quick release socket to the power cord of the T5 fixture so when its time to change the bulbs all I have to do is disconnect it from the top of the tank instead of pulling the power cord through the PVC and back again after the bulb change. Much better than before, all the wires are run through the PVC and down the back of the tank and out of the way for a much cleaner look.
IMG_1064_zpsa2ydtcng.jpg

IMG_1076_zpsrhgfjoue.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.4%
Back