Lighting recommendations

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a rookie mistake and went cheap with my lighting. I bought a 48" aquatic life reef led. I am not happy with the white/blue mix and I have told that Acans and other LPS are out.

I am looking for some recommendations. I am specifically debating the 6 tube ATI Sunflower vice Kessils or Halos. The sticker shock for the kessils is a big turn off.

Thank you in advance.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and I have told that Acans and other LPS are out.

Hearsay can get you into as much trouble as cheaping out. ;) Maybe more.

Are Acans and LPS your target?

$200 for a 71-watt fixture does not seem excessively cheap, although depending on the tank you have it on, you might want up to 3 units.

The DIY I'd recommend for the average 48" tank only costs between $70 and $150 to build. THAT is cheap. :cool: (And still grows corals just fine.)

According to AL's website, that dosen't look like a plain blue+white fixture either:
LED Complement: (27) 9K White, (69) Blue 454nm, (6) Blue 440nm, (3) Violet 420nm, 3) Violet 400nm, (6) Red

Do you have the fixture mounted down on the tank top?

What are the tank dimensions?

OP
OP
LBReefer

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the rapid reply. My tank is 48X24X18.5, I believe.

I am not sure of my ultimate target, but I know that I want to go beyond softies. According to my LFS this light is insufficient for LPS. I would also like something with a stronger blue hue to better bring out the colors in my corals/fish.

I am up for DIY, but I have no experience with electrical or soldering.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'd want 3 or 4 on a 24" wide tank.

80 Gallons figures to be 48*24*16.....so relatively shallow.

You should be able to tune the light to a level of blue you like....turn down other colors (the "white" and "color" channels?) as needed. Right?

AQUATIC LIFE FIXTURE SELECTION GUIDE says one is good for moderate light corals on a tank like yours....so I'd say start with at least two or three for your goals and just be prepared to add on if needed.

The DIY I mentioned uses no soldering. A soldering iron would almost double the cost of the project!!! ;)

gu10 lighting over my 55g. Vid link of an in-wall build for a 55 gallon. (Not mine, but fairly similar to my current setup.)
What light to get Link to the original build instructions I base mine off of.
LED's to replace a 2 x 150w Radium setup - looking for thoughts! Here's where I first started considering them.

I'm still using the same bulbs today, but I'm on my third (and simplest) fixture. ;) You need an extension cord, some 22 gauge wire, some wire nuts, something to screw light sockets into, light sockets and light bulbs. That's it. About $150 for the bulbs and sockets....you may or may not already have some of the rest. The part you screw the sockets into can be as fancy as you want or as simple as a 1x2 strip of wood. Lots of folks have recycled old T5 fixtures or other "junk" but interesting items.

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with a 6 or 8 tube sunpower and call it a day.

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought two mars aqua 165 watt LED lights that light up my entire 48 inch tank. 22 to the sandbed and i can grow any coral i want. Real nice colors too

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought two mars aqua 165 watt LED lights that light up my entire 48 inch tank. 22 to the sandbed and i can grow any coral i want. Real nice colors too
185$ for two of them, more then enough for a 48 inch tank

johnwick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 8bulb ATI sunpower on my 24" wide tank but it's SPS dominant. You'll be very pleased with a 6 bulb ATI fixture I assure you.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look also in AI Hydra 52 hd. and or reef breeders photon v2 don't need to worry about changing bulbs out every 9 months or so.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back