Lion fish death

Kadecor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I work at a pet store and the lionfish that the aquatic section had died in a very strange way. I would like to know the reason for the death so I can help make sure it never happens again
It developed a weird lump then died
IMG_20220627_091102_01.jpg

OP
OP
K

Kadecor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I am not there today so I cannot dissect. It was very weird because Saturday it was just a tiny little lump about the size of a half a pea. And so between Saturday and this morning it happened. Very fast.

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a dissection it's only going to being guessing. Tumors can grow fast from a number of exposures. Coming from the abdomen it could also be bloat. Bloat is caused from a blockage and twisting of the gut, I have seen this from feeding rosies.

Upvote 0

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I am not there today so I cannot dissect. It was very weird because Saturday it was just a tiny little lump about the size of a half a pea. And so between Saturday and this morning it happened. Very fast.
It is not going to be a tumor if it grew that fast. More likely an abscess, which fits more with a very rapid death. Tell someone to open it, likely fluid filled.

Upvote 0

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it eat something that can eat it’s way out. Happens with lizards and hard shell older crickets.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I work at a pet store and the lionfish that the aquatic section had died in a very strange way. I would like to know the reason for the death so I can help make sure it never happens again
It developed a weird lump then died
IMG_20220627_091102_01.jpg

I can't see, is this posterior to the anal opening, or does it involve that structure? If the latter, then a prolapse is a possibility.

Jay

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A prolapsed rectum is caused by straining to pass a blockage or something else that caused digestive distress, you would see tissue actually outside of the anal opening. I don't know the accurate term for diarrhea is fish, but some sort of bacterial infection in the gut would cause a prolapse rectum.

How long was he in the tank and what was being fed, any medication used, formalin dips, etc.

I have seen prolapsed rectum and they usually resolve themselves and don't move so quickly to death. I have loosely associated formalin and formalin by products to lions getting a prolapsed rectum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 44.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back