Live rock in qt

Mr_Banana_Pants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I've read a ton of posts condemning the use of live rock in a copper qt tank because it will absorb some of the copper. But if you were to leave said tank as a qt only, have it constantly running and available for "ER" treatment of sick fish, and you continously test your copper levels, is it really that bad of an idea. Epically when you have a tang or other fish that pick at rocks... just a thought I had.

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have live rock in all of our QT tanks, the one with copper stayed at therapeutic levels the whole time. I check it every two or three days and it has never moved. Now I understand it can seep back out of the rocks at any time but so far that has not happened to us. Honestly I think it's good for the fish to have something natural to sit on and hide in. My two blennies love to go in the rock because it has holes in it. I also have PVC in there and they've never touched it so basically I don't think it's a bad idea to have live rock in a QT tank. Just my opinion though.

OP
OP
Mr_Banana_Pants

Mr_Banana_Pants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought, as long as you're not putting those rocks into a reef tank, and just leave them as a quarantine they should be beneficial

OP
OP
Mr_Banana_Pants

Mr_Banana_Pants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I never understood the thought that they're going to absorb copper and then release it. I can understand it absorb and copper, but not releasing it into a tank that has a therapeutic range already established. I can only see it leaking into a tank with no copper

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought, as long as you're not putting those rocks into a reef tank, and just leave them as a quarantine they should be beneficial
Yeah most definitely leave it in the QT.
And I never understood the thought that they're going to absorb copper and then release it. I can understand it absorb and copper, but not releasing it into a tank that has a therapeutic range already established. I can only see it leaking into a tank with no copper
honestly I don't either.. it's not like it's a sponge. It's a rock. But yeah maybe it'll release some into QT without copper but I think since it's stayed at therapeutic levels it shouldn't release any copper and mess up the levels. But that's just my thought I could be wrong..

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll thought I'd share my QT with you just to show it. But in the pic I have like six PVC in there and none of the small fish use them, they all use the rock. I have two gobies in there and they love to dig under the rocks and hide under them. And the blenny loves to go in one of the holes. And the bigger one is in another QT tank and he loves the rock also.

IMG_1843.JPG

IMG_1723.JPG

IMG_1742.JPG

Ineedhelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to add to the post, didn't want to sound like a jerk. I have actually set aside some pieces for when I set up my qt because I do agree, PVC pipe.... I wouldn't feel very protected lol... So I am going to put designated QT rock in it!

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to add to the post, didn't want to sound like a jerk. I have actually set aside some pieces for when I set up my qt because I do agree, PVC pipe.... I wouldn't feel very protected lol... So I am going to put designated QT rock in it!
Yeah for some reason I think the fish will feel more comfortable with rock instead of PVC, I know it's a QT tank but the fish are in there for months and I want them to feel comfortable and not stressed because they're already under a lot of stress for diseases and now medications and copper so I want them to just have something they can actually enjoy in the tank. Also the fake plants are awesome! My goby just loves sitting on the leaves and chilling inside it.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW; LR in a QT is fine so long as:
  1. You remove it before adding medications, especially copper or Chloroquine.
  2. You sterilize or go fallow with it before ever using again.
The problem is once used in a QT, most people become "dependent" upon LR for biological filtration and don't develop a backup plan (ex. seeded sponge) to use should the need for medications arise.

OP
OP
Mr_Banana_Pants

Mr_Banana_Pants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is once used in a QT, most people become "dependent" upon LR for biological filtration and don't develop a backup plan (ex. seeded sponge) to use should the need for medications arise.
Why remove it and just not balance the copper with it in the tank if it is a permanent qt tank

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why remove it and just not balance the copper with it in the tank if it is a permanent qt tank

While it is possible to do that, daily testing is required to ensure the Cu level remains therapeutic at all times. Sometimes the copper will suddenly get absorbed into the rock (which can drop it below therapeutic) and then leaches back out of the rock (which can raise it to an unsafe level.)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting topic. I've used rock in QT while fish were in observation (back before I started proactively treating with meds in QT). Never thought of the idea @Mr_Banana_Pants is suggesting (btw, it's really fun to write your username). :)

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this case, wouldn't it make sense to throw some new media in a hob filter and let it seed off the live rock, then if needed pull rock, throw in a bucket with a bubbler while you treat, and you've got it for next round of fish...

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 175 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back