Long Fin Sleeper Goby

NewbieReefer11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, i have a long fin sleeper goby that is staying at the top of the tank during the day.
He still going into him cave at night and is still eating.
Is this normal or not. Every now and then he gets a mouthful of air.
20180323_075955.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't seem normal to me ... that fish normally spends a great deal of time feeding from the sandbed.

Gulping air is often a sign that he's having trouble breathing - was the fish ever treated for ich, velvet or flukes? How long have you had the fellow?

~Bruce

OP
OP
NewbieReefer11

NewbieReefer11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't seem normal to me ... that fish normally spends a great deal of time feeding from the sandbed.

Gulping air is often a sign that he's having trouble breathing - was the fish ever treated for ich, velvet or flukes? How long have you had the fellow?

~Bruce
He may have been in the store but alas i dont have a qt tank so i may just use medic on the tank for 10 days.
I have only had him for 1 week

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be interested to see if you pointed one of your powerheads at the surface to great more gas exchange if the sleeper goby would be less included to gulp for air. Definitely seems odd.

OP
OP
NewbieReefer11

NewbieReefer11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be interested to see if you pointed one of your powerheads at the surface to great more gas exchange if the sleeper goby would be less included to gulp for air. Definitely seems odd.
I found out what happend
A day or two ago my return slowed down so i cleaned it and adjusted the nozzle in the tank accidentally.
So i adjusted it yesterday to point at the surface more and then problem solved he's acting normal now.[emoji3][emoji16]

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested the ammonia in your tank lately?

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's nice to hear there a some quick fixes to tank dilemmas! Glad you were able to solve the problem quickly. :)

I'd still watch all tank behavior closely. Without quarantine, some fish don't show symptoms right away even though they are carrying a parasite. Sometimes it takes a stressful situation to lower the immune system for the bug to manifest itself. Good luck with your new fish!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back