OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king I can’t seem to start a conversation with you for some reason, so I’ll just ask here: do you still have the warty? If not, how long was he alive for?

I’m so saddened to hear all the stories of people having them die in less than a year.

I kept him about 3 years, which seems to be tops, although I have heard of people keeping them as long as 5 years, although I've never met anyone in person. I don't know how long they live in the wild, but it has to be longer than that, so there is much more we need to figure out in keeping these guys I"ve learned since then and think feeding even less frequent may be a positive move, like once a week to 10 days.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big discovery, maybe. You can search and search, I have; scientific websites, university papers, and still can't find an estimated life span in the wild.

But, I did stumble across something of note, I found that many species are listed as living in waters as cool as 68°. Well other cold water species do not live long in the temps we keep our tanks. Maybe this is a part of it. All suppliers list their temp in the tropical range of 72-78. Perhaps if we keep them cooler, we can perhaps keep them longer.

So feeding live, feeding less frequent, and cooler waters; maybe?

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big discovery, maybe. You can search and search, I have; scientific websites, university papers, and still can't find an estimated life span in the wild.

But, I did stumble across something of note, I found that many species are listed as living in waters as cool as 68°. Well other cold water species do not live long in the temps we keep our tanks. Maybe this is a part of it. All suppliers list their temp in the tropical range of 72-78. Perhaps if we keep them cooler, we can perhaps keep them longer.

That’s really interesting. It makes sense, but I can’t find mention of it anywhere.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That would make a lot of sense! I have been diving with similar species, and the water was cold enough to warrant a full wetsuit. About 69-70 degrees. I think the warmest the water ever was there was around 73. I did notice that they always hung out in the sun, on top of the rocks; not under crevices or in caves like I expected them to. I think it’s definitely worth exploring!

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would make a lot of sense! I have been diving with similar species, and the water was cold enough to warrant a full wetsuit. About 69-70 degrees. I think the warmest the water ever was there was around 73. I did notice that they always hung out in the sun, on top of the rocks; not under crevices or in caves like I expected them to. I think it’s definitely worth exploring!
That’s great to know. Maybe I’ll ditch my heater altogether. The tank sits in a 70F room, and the heater is currently set to 78F.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back