Look what got me today... (pic)

adamsky27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are moving the tanks to the new house, so I was reaching in the sump grabbing the chaeto and placing it into bags. I knew that the chaeto was full of bristleworms, but I didn't think much of it. Next thing I know both of my hands were stinging, very bad! At one point I thought I might have to go to the hospital because it hurt so bad. I put my hands under the halides and I could see all of the stingers sticking out. Well upon further inspection I saw the largest bristleworm that I've ever seen, in person. I've seen pics online of how big they can get, but this thing was huge! I would guess that it was about seven or eight inches long fully stretched out. Well here's a picture of it. Don't mess with these guys, they hurt!

BigBristleWorm.jpg

commonstranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been lucky. Have a friend at a LFS who gets stung all the time. He says soaking your hand in Vinegar will help dissolve the bristles. Hope it helps.

OP
OP
A

adamsky27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't have anything at the house. I just kept washing them with regular hand soap. That didn't help, but the pain went away after a few hours.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
duct tape (not the dollar store stuff the good kind) helps to pull the bristles out

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hot water is the best thing for the pain. I got stung by a loin fish yrs ago and thats was the only way to stop the pain. I called the dr( moms friend) and thats what he said to do.

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the LFS I work at we put the area stung under the faucet in the hottest water we can take, then put meat tenderizer on it, and if it still hurts.... Let's just say the tank isn't the only thing that gets a nice vodka dose ;)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 78 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 38 16.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.3%
Back