Looking for help from roger on my 9004 skimmer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
high dissolved organics and bacterials will make it foam a lot. It makes it hard to estimate how long the break in period will be. If you "calibrate it" the way Roger suggests, it zeroes it out. and makes a common until the break in is done and then you can really dial in the skimmer. My 9001 took a long time in my current tank, it took no time in the first tank I put it in and the the 9004 I have took only days.
Once its a fairly consistent fluid gong into the cup then you can start tweaking

OP
OP
jamesbog283

jamesbog283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to figure out what has to break in. With that said my lfs said I can take it back in and they'll set it up for me. At least I can find out if its the unit or my tank still is still maturing or something

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to figure out what has to break in. With that said my lfs said I can take it back in and they'll set it up for me. At least I can find out if its the unit or my tank still is still maturing or something
the break in period is literally the skimmer being coated with bacteria. You can google it. Most all skimmers have this. not just tunze. If the lfs wants to help, that's totally cool.
I think a few posts back I mentioned to run it without the cup and just let it foam. that's literally just to get it coated w slime.
some larger skimmers dont put micro bubbles back into the WC just dont skim well without the coating. Some do, and thats why theres a bubble wall in the skimmer compartment of the sump.

OP
OP
jamesbog283

jamesbog283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the break in period is literally the skimmer being coated with bacteria. You can google it. Most all skimmers have this. not just tunze. If the lfs wants to help, that's totally cool.
I think a few posts back I mentioned to run it without the cup and just let it foam. that's literally just to get it coated w slime.
some larger skimmers dont put micro bubbles back into the WC just dont skim well without the coating. Some do, and thats why theres a bubble wall in the skimmer compartment of the sump.

Yes you did mention to take the cup off. I will try that. It just makes the tank look awful with the bubbles...lol

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you did mention to take the cup off. I will try that. It just makes the tank look awful with the bubbles...lol
lift it up so that the id doesn't foam back into the tank. I cant see it so I dont know how high to tell you. do you have thew little sponges installed?

If it makes you feel better you can call it "the Microbubble treatment" thats Sooo trendy now.

OP
OP
jamesbog283

jamesbog283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lift it up so that the id doesn't foam back into the tank. I cant see it so I dont know how high to tell you. do you have thew little sponges installed?

If it makes you feel better you can call it "the Microbubble treatment" thats Sooo trendy now.

There are no sponges that came with it? Are they an additional purchase?

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sponge comes with the 9001, not the 9004 it's an accessory. You don't need it.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a hassle to bring it into the store, but I guess it will confirm whether or not it is your additive. You could also just mix up a bucket of water and run it in there as a test.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks
I agree it's needed with the 9001, I didn't need it when my 9004 was new. Tunze decided not to include it because it's really more trouble than its worth with regards to access and cleaning, and it's really not needed after the run in phase.

OP
OP
jamesbog283

jamesbog283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a hassle to bring it into the store, but I guess it will confirm whether or not it is your additive. You could also just mix up a bucket of water and run it in there as a test.

It is...especially when its a half hour drive and you get there only to find out they're closed on Mondays.

Marc.The.Shark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing Dr. Tims ReFresh & Waste Away bacterial suppliments for the last 10 days for a white slime outbreak & it has my 9001 all screwed up. I turn it off when I dose for 8 hours or so, then back on & it foams & fills fast. I had to raise it abnormally high & still have to empty in a few hours. I couldnt imagine trying to break it in under these conditions, so maybe that additive is prolonging the break in period or throwing it off.

OP
OP
jamesbog283

jamesbog283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing Dr. Tims ReFresh & Waste Away bacterial suppliments for the last 10 days for a white slime outbreak & it has my 9001 all screwed up. I turn it off when I dose for 8 hours or so, then back on & it foams & fills fast. I had to raise it abnormally high & still have to empty in a few hours. I couldnt imagine trying to break it in under these conditions, so maybe that additive is prolonging the break in period or throwing it off.

It has been frustrating, however I think the big part of the battle is over. It's still not foaming nicely but its been running since about 6:30 last night and the cup has not quite filled yet 12 hrs later and the air screw is completely open so that's a bonus I think.

OP
OP
jamesbog283

jamesbog283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's it going?

I'm still not super happy with it yet. It seems to be working however I have raised so barely any water is over the bottom of the grill and I'm still getting a very very wet skim. The cup is filling with water at least once a day? I'm not sure if this is still part of the break in? On a positive note its cleaning the water :). I'll continue to keep an eye on it and maybe in a week or so I'll try lowering it a bit to see if this helps to get a more dry skim?

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are getting there. It will take a while for the surfactant to break down. Lowering it will produce a wetter skim. I keep mine as high as it can go and still draw in water for a coffee-like skim.

OP
OP
jamesbog283

jamesbog283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are getting there. It will take a while for the surfactant to break down. Lowering it will produce a wetter skim. I keep mine as high as it can go and still draw in water for a coffee-like skim.

Okay I'll leave it where it is an hope that sooner or later it will dry up the skim. Thanks for the advice!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 37 38.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.1%
Back