Looking to upgrade my lights to Kessil or AI? Any suggestions?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Hydra HD's as well and recomend these over Kessil's which I've had and dumped. IMO the Kessil's are far more plug and play but I love the AI's. I've personally never had these wi fi issues, fingers crossed lol.
I like plug and play :)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another choice would be looking into Reefbreeders as its nearly as large as the tank and uses multiple leds over a large area rather than the "puck" style.
Wow, I just looked at them for the first time.

They look very nice and SUPER led spread :)

Going back to their site to soak up their product line.

The wife :rolleyes: is distracted... hoping "Jerry Jones" loses to the Packers :)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks
Thanks for sharing the Reefbreeders.

He may have the best strip led's on the market. He sure has a lot of happy customers.

If his nano strip was wifi or blue tooth so you could set to ramp up and ramp down. I'd have 3 of them in my shopping cart right now :)

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a single Kessil A360WE over my 50g SCA cube and love it. The spread is perfect for that footprint. I run it at 50% intensity these days. I had it at 75% and it was annoying my zoas.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a single Kessil A360WE over my 50g SCA cube and love it. The spread is perfect for that footprint. I run it at 50% intensity these days. I had it at 75% and it was annoying my zoas.
Can't beat them over a cube :)

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently us AI prime HD and Kessil A160s, and AP 700 on separate tanks. Don't like the AI's that much, but the Kessils rock and the corals love them. OH! and the kessils are not for sale.

I also had AIs before I got my two AP700s for my 180. I though the disco thing was going to be a problem for every LED light, NOPE. The color mix is flawless, this fixture is simply the best LED right now. Also love Kessil Logic, the spread, shimmer, no hot spots, WiFi control, sleek look, way powerful, large coverage area, colors love them!

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the AI Hydra 52 on my 55 gallon. I like them, but i wish i had the HDs. I know there are a lot of brands out there now, i got mine about 3 years ago.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had AIs before I got my two AP700s for my 180. I though the disco thing was going to be a problem for every LED light, NOPE. The color mix is flawless, this fixture is simply the best LED right now. Also love Kessil Logic, the spread, shimmer, no hot spots, WiFi control, sleek look, way powerful, large coverage area, colors love them!
The Kessil Logic just makes sense. You can change to what your eyes like and the Logic keeps the light for what's good for coral health too.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the AI Hydra 52 on my 55 gallon. I like them, but i wish i had the HDs. I know there are a lot of brands out there now, i got mine about 3 years ago.
Do you use the AI director?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No

No, i didn't buy it when i got my lights, now i can't find one. If you get the new HDs you don't need one. But I'm not shelling out another $600.
The Hd's are having WiFi issues at this time.

I have had great success with the older Kessil a350w in the past but that was over a 34 gallon cube.
I'm kinda over the Kessil shimmer at this point. JMO...

If I went big time led over my larger reef I'd have to really consider the GHL Mitras LX 7206 fixtures.
or hold out and see if the Philips "Coral Care" hits the US.

Philips has done 3 years of research and pulling patents on their aquarium led optics and defuser's.
For me a more defused led is going to be the future.

I have plenty of time to watch things play out and very happy with my T5/LED Hybird setup. :)

Last edited:

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hd's are having WiFi issues at this time.

I have had great success with the older Kessil a350w in the past but that was over a 34 gallon cube.
I'm kinda over the Kessil shimmer at this point. JMO...

If I went big time led over my larger reef I'd have to really consider the GHL Mitras LX 7206 fixtures.
or hold out and see if the Philips "Coral Care" hits the US.

Philips has done 3 years of research a pulling patents on their aquarium led optics and defuser's.
For me a more defused led is going to be the future.

I have plenty of time to watch things play out and very happy with my T5/LED Hybird setup. :)
I thought about the Kessils when i bought my lights, but was afraid they would not be enough. I know there are a lot of great systems out there now. I was looking at that Mitras system the other day, looks nice.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about the Kessils when i bought my lights, but was afraid they would not be enough. I know there are a lot of great systems out there now. I was looking at that Mitras system the other day, looks nice.
I've got a friend over here that's head of Royal Exclusiv USA. He's ripping down his (10) Kessil a360w's over his perfect 180 gallon reef. He's got the connections and has got those new Mitras 7602's way before everyone else.
I'm going to stay in touch with him to see if they live up to his expectations and he has HIGH expectations.

If your concerned about Kessil power then don't be. The trick to kessil's is to make sure you have enough fixtures for even spread stopping hot spots and shadowing but once you get into the a360w's and AP700. Well, I've never seen anybody pushing them anywhere close to 100%. They are Par monsters :)

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a friend over here that's head of Royal Exclusiv USA. He's ripping down his (10) Kessil a360w's over his perfect 180 gallon reef. He's got the connections and has got those new Mitras 7602's way before everyone else.
I'm going to stay in touch with him to see if they live up to his expectations and he has HIGH expectations.

If your concerned about Kessil power then don't be. The trick to kessil's is to make sure you have enough fixtures for even spread stopping hot spots and shadowing but once you get into the a360w's and AP700. Well, I've never seen anybody pushing them anywhere close to 100%. They are Par monsters :)
I didn't buy the Kessils, i got the Hydra 52 instead. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

FrankiePuffer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well good luck with your build I got out of the hob by for about 10 years, then I went diving in Thailand and now I started again, lol Good luck let us know what you decide to get. 10 years to retire , well we are about the same age lol
Decided to try the SB lights I liked the fact they are in a strip design rather than pods. I think the coverage will be more even. Got most things ordered at this point so here I go!
This age is the good age I think, old enough to know better and try it anyway LOL

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back