Looking to upgrade my lights to Kessil or AI? Any suggestions?

kzaveri19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I have a SCA 66 gallon mixed reef tank (32L x 24D x 20H). I am looking to upgrade my lights to Kessil, or AI.

Could you please help? I am completely lost in this endeavor.

Thanks
KZ

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with AI but if you decide to go with Kessils I have 2 a360we with goosenecks I'll sell ya.

USMC4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I make a suggestion that is not AI or Kessil. I would say get SB Reeflights. I say that because you get more bang for the buck. And they can be fixed in home if needed. Also you definitely get mor bang for the buck but the only thing is that they are not that aesthetically pleasing.

FrankiePuffer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am debating the same issue. Have a 29 with a old style Kessil but want a larger tank and adjustable lighting. Seems AI might be better than the Kessil 700 because you can separate them a bit for better coverage. Just saw the SB lights discussed and now the debate continues with another element. This will be my first and last big build doing things right at the start up. $$ has been a issue in the past but I have enough to look at better components and a larger (65) tank. Feedback would be great. Following this with interest

FrankiePuffer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe look at Reef Breeders LED's also Good luck and never say my last build lol,
Due to retirement in about 10 years and the unreliability of the electric in the mountains where We intend to go , this is probably true. Not looking forward to that part. I've kept fish since I was 8 and my first salt was at 17 it's been a life long love but no willing to risk killing animals once I move

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to retirement in about 10 years and the unreliability of the electric in the mountains where We intend to go , this is probably true. Not looking forward to that part. I've kept fish since I was 8 and my first salt was at 17 it's been a life long love but no willing to risk killing animals once I move
Well good luck with your build I got out of the hob by for about 10 years, then I went diving in Thailand and now I started again, lol Good luck let us know what you decide to get. 10 years to retire , well we are about the same age lol

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with AI but if you decide to go with Kessils I have 2 a360we with goosenecks I'll sell ya.
They'd get it done for OP :)
Do you have they Kessil controller and the wire to sync both together when using a controller?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now AI is dealing with WIFI issues and unhappy customers.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I have a SCA 66 gallon mixed reef tank (32L x 24D x 20H). I am looking to upgrade my lights to Kessil, or AI.

Could you please help? I am completely lost in this endeavor.

Thanks
KZ
what was your last lighting on the tank. You'll want to match the Par output, or get one than can go higher. Imo its best to buy too much light than to little, because leds have a dimmer.
Spread is the next topic. Many don't prefer the "Shimmer" or "disco rave";), so there's some choices there too.
The nice thing is there's a lot of options to do all the above. affordable ones too.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what was your last lighting on the tank. You'll want to match the Par output, or get one than can go higher. Imo its best to buy too much light than to little, because leds have a dimmer.
Spread is the next topic. Many don't prefer the "Shimmer" or "disco rave";), so there's some choices there too.
The nice thing is there's a lot of options to do all the above. affordable ones too.
+1

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same light, split in half. The AP700 is stinking cool. I saw it on a 48in wide tank and the spread was DEAD EVEN.
Spread is such an important consideration with led :)

I'd shoot for overpower and dim them back too.

If OP likes the Kessil shimmer the AP700 would be a great pick.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spread is such an important consideration with led :)

I'd shoot for overpower and dim them back too.

If OP likes the Kessil shimmer the AP700 would be a great pick.
another choice would be looking into Reefbreeders as its nearly as large as the tank and uses multiple leds over a large area rather than the "puck" style.

Mickie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Hydra 26 HDs....but if your router or your extender is not LITERALLY within 10 ft of it, waving its arms and screaming "I'm here!!!!"....you'll have WiFi issues.

Bpc9876

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Hydra HD's as well and recomend these over Kessil's which I've had and dumped. IMO the Kessil's are far more plug and play but I love the AI's. I've personally never had these wi fi issues, fingers crossed lol.

Mickie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Hydra HD's as well and recomend these over Kessil's which I've had and dumped. IMO the Kessil's are far more plug and play but I love the AI's. I've personally never had these wi fi issues, fingers crossed lol.
Lucky! It may just be the area we live in...but I do love them...WiFi issues and all.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back