Low Alk, High Calcium, dose Tropic AFR?

Nami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon tank with a small carpet anemone and a few soft corals, no SPS yet but planning to get a tridacna clam.

I tested my ALK and Calcium, 6.3dkh and 500ppm CA. I have been doing 20-25% water change monthly with LFS seawater.

Is there a need to supplement a higher dkh for the current inhabitants as well as the eventual clam.

I'm thinking of AFR for simplicity.

Thank you.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s fine to use AFR now, or you can use just an alk supplement for a while until calcium declines.

I’d aim to keep 7 dKH min. You value is likely fine, but in case there is some testing error, keeping it a bit higher is best.

OP
OP
N

Nami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy, noted, I was not sure how addition of AFR will affect the high calcium levels in the tank.

trlotlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon tank with a small carpet anemone and a few soft corals, no SPS yet but planning to get a tridacna clam.

I tested my ALK and Calcium, 6.3dkh and 500ppm CA. I have been doing 20-25% water change monthly with LFS seawater.

Is there a need to supplement a higher dkh for the current inhabitants as well as the eventual clam.

I'm thinking of AFR for simplicity.

Thank you.
I have this very same issue. I have a 35 gallon. My alk says 6.0 dkh and my calcium says 555 (used Hanna checker that I just received) also retested with Salifert and it wasn't changed to all blue yet when I ran out of the regiment in the syringe. So I am assuming Hanna is accurate.
I want to raise that alk but I'm afraid dosing AFR will make calcium higher. Suggestions would be appreciated by anyone.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy, noted, I was not sure how addition of AFR will affect the high calcium levels in the tank.

If alk is 6.3 dKH and you want 7 dKH, the 500 ppm calcium will rise to 505 ppm if you make that correction with AFR, and stay about there as you use it to maintain calcium and alk.

AFR is very slightly imbalanced to too much calcium (just like kalkwasser) and will over a long time slowly raise calcium more, unless water changes prevent that rise.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this very same issue. I have a 35 gallon. My alk says 6.0 dkh and my calcium says 555 (used Hanna checker that I just received) also retested with Salifert and it wasn't changed to all blue yet when I ran out of the regiment in the syringe. So I am assuming Hanna is accurate.
I want to raise that alk but I'm afraid dosing AFR will make calcium higher. Suggestions would be appreciated by anyone.

Same answer to you: it won't raise calcium appreciably.

That said, I'd use that calcium kit on some new salt water to see if it is reading reasonably, assuming you do not know the reason calcium is at the high end.

trlotlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same answer to you: it won't raise calcium appreciably.

That said, I'd use that calcium kit on some new salt water to see if it is reading reasonably, assuming you do not know the reason calcium is at the high end.
No I have no idea why the calcium is so high. I am currently making saltwater so I will check it when I get the correct salinity. Thanks so much for your reply

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I have no idea why the calcium is so high. I am currently making saltwater so I will check it when I get the correct salinity. Thanks so much for your reply

You’re welcome. It may just be a testing issue.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back