minionyellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a question about whether I should add all the fish at once or one by one. My new tank will soon be ready for new fish. It is a 20-gallon tank. I plan to have a pair of clownfish, a valentini puffer, a falco hawkfish, and a diamond goby. My friend advised that I should add the fish all at once, especially the "shy" fish first. If a "shy" fish is added later, it may be bullied by those already established, like the clownfish. If that happens, the fish might stop eating and die. I am hesitant to add them all at once as it's a new tank, and I'm worried they might all die. Any advice on which fish I should add first or if I should add them all at once? And I actually not sure which fish is more shy, goby and hawkfish? Thank you!

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion, especially if it's your first tank, is to stock according to price.
Put the cheapest fish in first, wait a couple weeks and if it's going well, then add another.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always put the most aggressive fish last, unless it’s very small and a lot smaller than all the rest.

Do not add them all at once of your system won’t be able to process the ammonia and you’ll have a spike. Add one or two, then wait at least 3 weeks and add more.

OP
OP
M

minionyellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always put the most aggressive fish last, unless it’s very small and a lot smaller than all the rest.

Do not add them all at once of your system won’t be able to process the ammonia and you’ll have a spike. Add one or two, then wait at least 3 weeks and add more.
ok, I see! Thank you, which fish do you think is the most aggressive one?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, I see! Thank you, which fish do you think is the most aggressive one?
I only have experience with clowns in your list. These fish are aggressive but IME can be added anytime if you get them small because it takes a while before they establish territory, bond and the female becomes aggressive (talking about oscellaris, I don’t know about the other clowns).

OP
OP
M

minionyellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have experience with clowns in your list. These fish are aggressive but IME can be added anytime if you get them small because it takes a while before they establish territory, bond and the female becomes aggressive (talking about oscellaris, I don’t know about the other clowns).
thank you for the inform!yes, I probably will add them last. Yeah, I will get one oscellarus and one darwin lol

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 23 23.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 35 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back