Low Flow, is that an issue

nzkiwi80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have RedSea 350 with one single wave maker at one end.

Over the last few months I’ve been fighting small bubbles and brown spongy stuff on my rocks.

I do weekly water changes, healthy fish but corals are struggling.

Do I need another wave maker? Is my water movement to slow/low?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I like higher flow in my tanks, my 15 gallon softie tank (mushrooms and zoa's) has 2 powerheads, and my 40 breeder has 2 gyres........ it helps against algae, it keeps detritus and food and other crap from settling on sand and rocks so that filtration can filter it, and it brings more oxygen and nutrients to corals.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have RedSea 350 with one single wave maker at one end.

Over the last few months I’ve been fighting small bubbles and brown spongy stuff on my rocks.

I do weekly water changes, healthy fish but corals are struggling.

Do I need another wave maker? Is my water movement to slow/low?
Depends on the corals you have, placement of the corals, and how much flow you actually have. Not all corals like a ton of flow. I am running about 20x flow. Tank is lps dom, mostly euphilia, anymore and my euphilia wouldn't be happy. For the most part my corals seem happy. I do have 2 sps that are doing well also but they are in a higher flow area. It is possible flow could be an issue. But we would need more info.

The brown spongy stuff and bubbles dont sound good. When you do weekly w/c do you blow the rocks off? What are your water parameters? What test kits do you use? how often are you testing? What corals? What lights? Pics of tank in white light? What is your current turn over Power head and return pump combined divided by tank volume?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back