Luxdium Replacement LED Pucks for AI Prime & Hydra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant you don't list the LEDs being used on your website. That's usually a selling point for the different lights available.

I have a theory this improved spectrum in the indigo range might make mushrooms bounce more and I'm looking forward to testing it out. If it's the case you'd have another great selling point!

luxdium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant you don't list the LEDs being used on your website. That's usually a selling point for the different lights available.

I have a theory this improved spectrum in the indigo range might make mushrooms bounce more and I'm looking forward to testing it out. If it's the case you'd have another great selling point!

We do things a little differently. Since we strive to deliver the most up-to-date tech and refine our products based on all of your feedback, there can be improvements over time which makes listing the exact ones difficult. We do list the colors and show pictures of the individual channels on the product pages, however.

As an example of some of the improvements, earlier this year we began using a new formulation of paint that reflects more of the stray light from the LEDs to the optics to improve light extraction from the clusters.

You present an interesting hypothesis on bounce mushrooms. A few of our beta testers who have been running their clusters for a while (more than a year) have reported enhanced vesicle size, even from standard Rhodactis which never bounced. At this time, I am unsure if it's a particular wavelength, but a combination of environmental factors likely induce it. From a lighting standpoint, there are some theories that this may be related to UV. Our clusters do emit more high-energy wavelengths.

275102838_2043808442467833_2697585783748219736_n.jpg

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered and looking forward to seeing it in person!

I will let you know if my OG Bounce responds with more "bounce". Its vesicles have shrank a lot under the stock Hydra pucks since being quite bouncy under Ocean Revive lights.

Dave's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have some news coming next month that may lay the foundation for those and some other developments!
Any updates on this news? Can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm very interested in some over due upgrades to my (6) prime 16HD

Dave's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have some news coming next month that may lay the foundation for those and some other developments!
Any updates on this news? Can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm very interested in some over due upgrades to my (6) prime 16HD

luxdium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, the Prime 16HDs will never see any form of an LED cluster upgrade since they have everything soldered to one board. You'll have to upgrade the whole light to upgrade them. Here are pics of their internals:

Prime HD vs 16HD.jpeg

The Hydras (32/64) on the other hand are still modular so they have a chance. There are many things we're working on for that to happen like formulating new chemistries for thermal substrates. We came to a realization that there's a lot more to it than just the thermals. Since we now want to improve on more things besides the output and spectrum, that announcement has been postponed. We'll keep this thread updated as things progress...

Reefer45C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lets talk about these pucks!!! I received mine yesterday and installed them over my new upgrade/build. 1st off, the packaging is amazing! Way more thought process went into this whole concept than I had originally thought. I mean every step was taking to ship the pucks without damage, and the paper work provided was so clear, anyone would be able to install these and get these things dialed in over any tank with a simple PAR meter. There is QR codes for every light profile and videos to help with installation. Even the way the pucks were mounted on plastic cards packed with foam was a plus, I reused that setup for my old AI pucks to store them in the anti-static bags the new ones shipped in. I love having the stickers with the serial numbers for each new puck, I installed those on each light corresponding to the side each puck was installed in on the back of the lights. Included was also a quick QR scan code to bring up all the spectrum graphs, informative notes and .AIP files to send to the MyAi app. I downloaded all the profiles and visually checked them all out, they all are phenomenal visually and from the trusted spectrum graphs I know each one will benefit the coral. I decided to go with the Optimized III during the day & Pop towards the end of the night. I first PAR metered my tank & 2 finger lowered the percentages to match around the same par my old tank was at, then put the whole profile on a 2 month acclimation 30% setting. All in all I am super happy with my purchase from Luxdium, and I really do believe this product is what all current Hydra & Prime HD users should do to refresh there lights. Take me for example, I've been an avid AI Hydra user since the start, I have owned both 26HD & 52HD over my tanks, and when I decided to upgrade from my reefer 350 to my Waterbox 230.6 I sold my 52HD and picked up a couple more 26HDs and now I'm running 5 Hydra 26HDs over a 6' tank with new pucks, with a 2 year warranty and proven spectrums. All for way less than it would of cost me to purchase new lights. I'm excited to see what growth I can get out of these pucks. Here is a couple pics of the new build shortly after the transfer, coral still acclimating to the new design and flow. We ended up taking the old rock scape out and changing things up look wise.

Attachments

• PXL_20230507_234141801.jpg
    PXL_20230507_234141801.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 76
  • PXL_20230508_035247647.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230508_035247647.MP.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 82
  • PXL_20230508_220259142.jpg
    PXL_20230508_220259142.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 74
  • PXL_20230508_221038326.jpg
    PXL_20230508_221038326.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20230508_221041483.jpg
    PXL_20230508_221041483.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 93
  • PXL_20230508_225712756.jpg
    PXL_20230508_225712756.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 83
  • PXL_20230508_225829332.jpg
    PXL_20230508_225829332.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 92
  • PXL_20230508_231859411.jpg
    PXL_20230508_231859411.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 89
  • PXL_20230509_033437931.jpg
    PXL_20230509_033437931.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 94

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lets talk about these pucks!!! I received mine yesterday and installed them over my new upgrade/build. 1st off, the packaging is amazing! Way more thought process went into this whole concept than I had originally thought. I mean every step was taking to ship the pucks without damage, and the paper work provided was so clear, anyone would be able to install these and get these things dialed in over any tank with a simple PAR meter. There is QR codes for every light profile and videos to help with installation. Even the way the pucks were mounted on plastic cards packed with foam was a plus, I reused that setup for my old AI pucks to store them in the anti-static bags the new ones shipped in. I love having the stickers with the serial numbers for each new puck, I installed those on each light corresponding to the side each puck was installed in on the back of the lights. Included was also a quick QR scan code to bring up all the spectrum graphs, informative notes and .AIP files to send to the MyAi app. I downloaded all the profiles and visually checked them all out, they all are phenomenal visually and from the trusted spectrum graphs I know each one will benefit the coral. I decided to go with the Optimized III during the day & Pop towards the end of the night. I first PAR metered my tank & 2 finger lowered the percentages to match around the same par my old tank was at, then put the whole profile on a 2 month acclimation 30% setting. All in all I am super happy with my purchase from Luxdium, and I really do believe this product is what all current Hydra & Prime HD users should do to refresh there lights. Take me for example, I've been an avid AI Hydra user since the start, I have owned both 26HD & 52HD over my tanks, and when I decided to upgrade from my reefer 350 to my Waterbox 230.6 I sold my 52HD and picked up a couple more 26HDs and now I'm running 5 Hydra 26HDs over a 6' tank with new pucks, with a 2 year warranty and proven spectrums. All for way less than it would of cost me to purchase new lights. I'm excited to see what growth I can get out of these pucks. Here is a couple pics of the new build shortly after the transfer, coral still acclimating to the new design and flow. We ended up taking the old rock scape out and changing things up look wise.

Did you get the Gold pucks? I've been running the Golds for a couple years now and I absolutely love them. I'm setting up a new, larger tank and got a stack of Hydra 26HDs to upgrade as well.

This time I'm thinking about trying the Cyan pucks. Before I ordered 6x Hydra Cyan pucks I decided to outfit one of my spare Prime HDs with a Cyan to see how I liked it. I got confirmation that the puck was in the build process, so I'll have it to play around with soon.

Reefer45C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the Gold pucks? I've been running the Golds for a couple years now and I absolutely love them. I'm setting up a new, larger tank and got a stack of Hydra 26HDs to upgrade as well.

This time I'm thinking about trying the Cyan pucks. Before I ordered 6x Hydra Cyan pucks I decided to outfit one of my spare Prime HDs with a Cyan to see how I liked it. I got confirmation that the puck was in the build process, so I'll have it to play around with soon.
I ordered 10 of the golds.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 10 of the golds.

If it'll meet your PAR needs, try out the Ultra Blue. I've been running it for several months on my tanks and I dig it. It took a bit to get used to after a year plus of Optimized III, but I'm liking it a lot. I'm looking forward to trying it on my Cyan puck when it gets here.

Also, if you haven't already, join the LuxEngine User Group on FB. I have a "Mike's Mixed Reef" schedule on there that kind of melds Optimized III and Ultra Pop. Starts with a period of OIII with no white in the morning, then ramps up the whites midday, then ramps down to UP in the evening, all while maintaining the same PAR throughout the day.

I set it up for the Prime HD since I've got a bunch of them running on multiple tanks, but it could be adapted to Hydra pretty easily I'd think.

Reefer45C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it'll meet your PAR needs, try out the Ultra Blue. I've been running it for several months on my tanks and I dig it. It took a bit to get used to after a year plus of Optimized III, but I'm liking it a lot. I'm looking forward to trying it on my Cyan puck when it gets here.

Also, if you haven't already, join the LuxEngine User Group on FB. I have a "Mike's Mixed Reef" schedule on there that kind of melds Optimized III and Ultra Pop. Starts with a period of OIII with no white in the morning, then ramps up the whites midday, then ramps down to UP in the evening, all while maintaining the same PAR throughout the day.

I set it up for the Prime HD since I've got a bunch of them running on multiple tanks, but it could be adapted to Hydra pretty easily I'd think.
Sweet thanks... joining now!

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please let us now how you like/dislike the cyans!

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please let us now how you like/dislike the cyans!

So I've been able to spend some time with the Cyan puck, and here are my initial thoughts. I run the "Ultra Blue" setting on my Gold pucks, and am running the "Ultra Blue" setting on the Cyan as well, so that's what I'm basing my comments on.

1. The blue of the Cyan puck appears to be "crisper". It's hard to explain, but the added green in the tank makes things look a little brighter, even running at the same total PAR as before. It helps water down the Windex look, if that makes sense. There is no green tint. Just a brighter blue.

2. Since you can use more of the light (run more channels at higher intensities) with the Cyan puck running the "Ultra Blue" setting, you have a little more power/PAR headroom with the Cyan puck. The same would hold true with the Optimized III color ratio, but it uses most of the light at max anyway.

3. I am running the Cyan puck on a nano anemone tank, and the added Cyan is bringing out some flecks of red color on a few of my Rock Flower Anemones that I haven't seen before. I knew that it would highlight some colors more (some greens and reds) in coral, but I was a bit surprised at the RFAs. Otherwise, everything looks mostly the same as under the Gold puck.

4. One thing that made me apprehensive about the Cyan puck initially is the changes to the white channel moving from Gold to Cyan. There are only so many LEDs in the light, so the addition of the cyan LED meant that the "warm white" LEDs of the Gold pucks had to go. I *LOVE* the warm/cool white combination of the Gold pucks. It's probably the best color representation I've seen in a reef LED... if you like to run a lot of white... but I don't run a lot of white, so it's a tradeoff I'm willing to make for all the other benefits. I don't mean to say that the white looks bad, it's just not as nice as the Gold puck.

So, after seeing one in person, now I plan to order 6 more Cyan pucks for the Hydra 26HDs that I am putting on the new tank. For my needs, the Cyan puck checks all the boxes.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been able to spend some time with the Cyan puck, and here are my initial thoughts. I run the "Ultra Blue" setting on my Gold pucks, and am running the "Ultra Blue" setting on the Cyan as well, so that's what I'm basing my comments on.

1. The blue of the Cyan puck appears to be "crisper". It's hard to explain, but the added green in the tank makes things look a little brighter, even running at the same total PAR as before. It helps water down the Windex look, if that makes sense. There is no green tint. Just a brighter blue.

2. Since you can use more of the light (run more channels at higher intensities) with the Cyan puck running the "Ultra Blue" setting, you have a little more power/PAR headroom with the Cyan puck. The same would hold true with the Optimized III color ratio, but it uses most of the light at max anyway.

3. I am running the Cyan puck on a nano anemone tank, and the added Cyan is bringing out some flecks of red color on a few of my Rock Flower Anemones that I haven't seen before. I knew that it would highlight some colors more (some greens and reds) in coral, but I was a bit surprised at the RFAs. Otherwise, everything looks mostly the same as under the Gold puck.

4. One thing that made me apprehensive about the Cyan puck initially is the changes to the white channel moving from Gold to Cyan. There are only so many LEDs in the light, so the addition of the cyan LED meant that the "warm white" LEDs of the Gold pucks had to go. I *LOVE* the warm/cool white combination of the Gold pucks. It's probably the best color representation I've seen in a reef LED... if you like to run a lot of white... but I don't run a lot of white, so it's a tradeoff I'm willing to make for all the other benefits. I don't mean to say that the white looks bad, it's just not as nice as the Gold puck.

So, after seeing one in person, now I plan to order 6 more Cyan pucks for the Hydra 26HDs that I am putting on the new tank. For my needs, the Cyan puck checks all the boxes.
Thanks a lot!

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thanks for the detailed info! Looking forward to seeing a picture of the three 26HDs with the Cyan pucks. ;)

Reefer45C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchasing my Luxdium pucks was the best thing I did in my reefing career, it's equal with buying my Waterbox Infinia 230.6 the 10 pucks are over!!!

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so tired of having to replace the lenses on every Hydra 32HD and Hydra 64HD every 8-12 months. It is a shame. It is not water, nor salt creep, dirt, etc... It happens even using the lights at 80% peek. Always on the UV and Violet diodes.

Having said that, it would be a hit selling upgrade lenses that do not suffer from this issue. Perhaps made of a higher quality plastic, wider opening on every LED, or perhaps (not sure, just thinking out loud from my ignorance) made of pyrex glass. It is not only having to replace them, I assume that the amount of light that passes thru the lens will degrade gradually as they start to melt... so it is not just having to replace them, it is having degraded UV and violet for months.

1694375769635.png

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back