Lyretail anthia eye flukes

westindireefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a male Lyretail anthia 2 weeks ago. I had him in QT for a week to get settled in before doing HTTM, plus it was the holiday season and I didn't have the most time on my hands. Anyways, after a week I noticed the right eye was getting cloudy and wasn't sure if it was flukes or an infection. I ended up thinking it was an infection so treated with Kanaplex (3 doses, 2 days between doses). The cloudiness has cleared up but I still see 2 white spots on the eye. Note that I only noticed him flash twice when it was at it worst.

Also note that I had a flame angel in the QT as well who got cloudy eyes and then developed fin rot really quickly. It was maybe 2 days between symptoms showing and him passing. This was part of the reason for me dosing Kanaplex. I thought maybe the fin rot and "assumed infection" was due to poor water quality.

The QT is a 15g that I had running and been meaning to finish tearing down. It only had 2 mushrooms, sand and a piece of live rock with a HOB. I thought I'd leave them in there to settle down for a few days and give me time to clean the tanks that I was going to use for the HTTM, and let the holiday season pass. I didn't test the water parameters when sympotms first came down but did a large water change then and before the fish went in.

My main question is, if this is indeed flukes, what should I do? I was thinking FW bath to reduce damage to eye from flukes spasming. Then do a normal treatment of prazi?

Pics coming soon

#fishmedic

OP
OP
W

westindireefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See pics

Attachments

• IMG_3331.jpeg
    IMG_3331.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3330.jpeg
    IMG_3330.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 30

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a male Lyretail anthia 2 weeks ago. I had him in QT for a week to get settled in before doing HTTM, plus it was the holiday season and I didn't have the most time on my hands. Anyways, after a week I noticed the right eye was getting cloudy and wasn't sure if it was flukes or an infection. I ended up thinking it was an infection so treated with Kanaplex (3 doses, 2 days between doses). The cloudiness has cleared up but I still see 2 white spots on the eye. Note that I only noticed him flash twice when it was at it worst.

Also note that I had a flame angel in the QT as well who got cloudy eyes and then developed fin rot really quickly. It was maybe 2 days between symptoms showing and him passing. This was part of the reason for me dosing Kanaplex. I thought maybe the fin rot and "assumed infection" was due to poor water quality.

The QT is a 15g that I had running and been meaning to finish tearing down. It only had 2 mushrooms, sand and a piece of live rock with a HOB. I thought I'd leave them in there to settle down for a few days and give me time to clean the tanks that I was going to use for the HTTM, and let the holiday season pass. I didn't test the water parameters when sympotms first came down but did a large water change then and before the fish went in.

My main question is, if this is indeed flukes, what should I do? I was thinking FW bath to reduce damage to eye from flukes spasming. Then do a normal treatment of prazi?

Pics coming soon

#fishmedic
FW dips will give the fish temporary relief, but if this is from flukes, they’ll return.

“Eye fluke” is a bit of a misnomer - usually, these are Neobenedenia flukes that live all over the fish, but are more easily seen on the eyes. This species lays eggs, making it difficult to break their life cycle. Hyposalinity for 30 days works well. Praziquantel can be used with invertebrates in the tank, but can take 3 to 5 treatments 8 days apart to break the life cycle.

There is a true internal eye fluke but they are very rare.

Jay

OP
OP
W

westindireefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FW dips will give the fish temporary relief, but if this is from flukes, they’ll return.

“Eye fluke” is a bit of a misnomer - usually, these are Neobenedenia flukes that live all over the fish, but are more easily seen on the eyes. This species lays eggs, making it difficult to break their life cycle. Hyposalinity for 30 days works well. Praziquantel can be used with invertebrates in the tank, but can take 3 to 5 treatments 8 days apart to break the life cycle.

There is a true internal eye fluke but they are very rare.

Jay
Thank you for the feedback Jay! Got him in some prazi now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back