Lyretail Anthias: Ain’t That The Truth

Reef News

Latest Reef News
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lyretail Anthias: Ain’t That The Truth

So you want a fish who will brighten up your day? If you have a 6 foot or larger tank like a 125 gallon you are open to a type fish that can actually benefit your reef’s community in a way you would never expect. Lyretail Anthias are a very popular fish for larger aquariums. Before you dump one or two into your tank there are some facts to look over first.

5.jpg

male and females

PERSONALITY & BEHAVIOR

These fish have a very outgoing personality. They are the life of the party. If they notice a fish that is shy or skittish they are known to give them the courage to join the rest of the fish in their daily…whatever it is fish do to pass the time. They spend most of the day swimming around the middle of the tank but do swim through the rocks as well so hiding spots are a must, besides, they do need a place to sleep. They are overly peaceful in comparison to other fish since they try to improve upon other fish’s social behaviors.

SEXING

Like most wildlife, the males can be easily spotted out amongst the crowd with their bright red colors that often have a variation of colors within the overall red appearance while females are more of an orange in comparison. If a male dies in a group of fish, the dominant female will change its gender just like the clownfish does.

6.jpg

male image via reef2reef member @swannyson7

7.jpg

female image via reef2reef member @BillyC

PROPER STOCKING

These fish need at least 125 gallons of water, and that is cutting it close. They grow up to 5 inches and if you have 3-4 you are looking at 20 inches of fish!!! If you plan on having multiples you should consider a larger tank or you my run out of space for other fish, causing unnecessary stress on both you and the fish. Always keep one male and a group of females if you plan to have a small school of these awesome fish.

DIET

Lyertails are carnivorous, though they don’t like eating like a hog like your wrasse or pufferfish normally would. Instead, they enjoy having many small meals throughout the day. This may be due to their constant burning of energy from their active lifestyle. Feed them a large variety of foods. They like zooplankton, filamentous algae, and meaty foods like mysis shrimp or any other nutritious meats. NO BRINE SHRIMP PLEASE! The only time brine should be used is if the fish is very picky and will not eat other food. Freshly hatched brine with the egg sack still attached are very nutritious, but will still require additional food to meet all their needs.

ACCLIMATION

These fish are on the hardier end of the Anthias. In fact, they are said to be the easiest one to acclimate and train on frozen food. After you have quarantined them and are sure they are perfectly healthy and eating right you can acclimate them pretty quickly in comparison to more sensitive fish like angels. 1-3 hour drip acclimation is plenty for a Lyretail.

8.jpg

image via reef2reef member @swannyson7

If you have any questions or want to make sure your tank is perfect for your fish you can head over to the (Fish Discussion) and we will answer all of your questions. There is no need to guess when you have access to more reef knowledge than the public library.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love these fish! I have a trio in the display at work. I actually have two males and a female in there.... not on purpose either. I used to have one male and two females. The male developed an infection and hid for most of a month. When he finally healed up and came back out to play the more dominant female had already started the change to male. Now I have a dominant male, a sub male and a female. They all get along it seems. I'll say that the old male or submale has lost a lot of his vibrant coloring. I figure that's a mark of his demotion. :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good 'beginner' anthias ..... though not one of my favorites and I don't agree with much of the article. It's one of the Franzia sub-genus, generally more aggressive than some of the other pseudoanthias species. They are easy to get eating, but get quite aggressive as they grow - mainly towards their own kind, but also other anthias. If they are not fed multiple times per day, you'll start to see the lowest members of the group die off. I don't bother to keep them anymore.

FWIW, spirulina brine remains one of the staple foods for my fish.

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree they're an easier anthias. I currently have a single male in my 90 & he's not agressive at all. I added a single Bartlett (think it's female) about 6 months ago & they don't bother each other & are always out & swimming. I had a trio a while ago & the male did chase the females some.

I also only feed once a day during the week & the lyretails always seemed to do fine. Other anthias may require more.

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 4 anthias won't get you 20 inches of fish cause only one of them will reach that size. The rest are significantly smaller.

Agreed Ive had mine for 5 years in a 90 and one started the transition to male only to be stunted by an agressive flame angel. Once the flame was removed the transition started again. Also all 3 were purchased at maybe 2 inchs and in 5 years are probly a little over 2 inchs . Not much growth in my tank.

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male is an aggressive a**. lol I also wonder because he fights with my midas quite regularly, and I am pretty sure the midas is in charge, is it possible he is a sub-dominant? I have had him for almost a year and he has all the size, flashy fins but not so much the coloring. I do have a female as well, they paired off and killed the smaller female.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male is an aggressive a**. lol I also wonder because he fights with my midas quite regularly, and I am pretty sure the midas is in charge, is it possible he is a sub-dominant? I have had him for almost a year and he has all the size, flashy fins but not so much the coloring. I do have a female as well, they paired off and killed the smaller female.
It is possible that it is sub dominant. An in charge male sqummipinnis should be dominant over a midas blenny.

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible that it is sub dominant. An in charge male sqummipinnis should be dominant over a midas blenny.
I know!!! But seriously I have the most evil Midas! When they get into it the male anthia always backs down and the midas "pins" him on the sand or against the rock. I need to get video, it is ridiculous! The 2 lyretails and the midas hang out, patrolling the tank most of the time. I think the midas is under the impression that it is a lyretail!

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to have both lyretail and ventralis anthias but am not sure about the order in which to add them. I know lyretails help shy fish but I would also think they could be quite dominant over ventralis. Thoughts?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know!!! But seriously I have the most evil Midas! When they get into it the male anthia always backs down and the midas "pins" him on the sand or against the rock. I need to get video, it is ridiculous! The 2 lyretails and the midas hang out, patrolling the tank most of the time. I think the midas is under the impression that it is a lyretail!
Well, in the wild midas blennies will mimic female lyretails and school with them.
I am looking to have both lyretail and ventralis anthias but am not sure about the order in which to add them. I know lyretails help shy fish but I would also think they could be quite dominant over ventralis. Thoughts?
Lyretail are not a good fit with ventralis. Try dispars or randalls instead. They are still reasonably hardy and bold as an anthias, but far more peaceful than lyretails.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lyretail are not a good fit with ventralis. Try dispars or randalls instead. They are still reasonably hardy and bold as an anthias, but far more peaceful than lyretails.

Even if the ventralis are doing well and introduce small lyretails after? My tank is a 150g, thank you for the comment

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if the ventralis are doing well and introduce small lyretails after? My tank is a 150g, thank you for the comment
Yes. Even if the ventralis are added first. The nature of squammipinnis is to vie for the top spot. The only chance would be if you added six+ squammis and they stayed focused on each other. I would strongly recommend dispars or randalls to be housed with ventralis.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept LyreTails several times. Beautiful fish and active. Added 3 both times. In both cases the smallest didn't last long.The obvious male & female got along. After time for this or that reason I would lose them. Next time I will add at least 4 most likely 5 all at once. They will be small and go into a 180.

John Carroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. The timing of this article popping up in my feed couldn't be better. I was just looking at buying some Anthias online a few days ago. I still haven't decided which ones but this did help.

John

elfda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered in a female lyretail anthias for my store, and am IN LOVE with her. She's so beautiful and graceful, I nearly cried.

I started wondering what I'd need to set up to eventually have one... eep! Our tiny house likely can't accomodate a 125g tank.
(At least not with all the reptile habitats already there >_> )

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after having mine for a couple of months (pics above), my male stopped eating and has gone into hiding.
This is not good. :(

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back