MACNA is Back !! Is anyone excited or will wait and see?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It was just announced by MACNA and MASNA that they have restructured with a Good plan moving forward and will be back with MACNA 2024 in Orlando, Fl.
As many of us know, Milwaukee was a flip-flop as was the cancellation of 2023 event in Pittsburgh as they realized Location - Location-Location was not in the best interest of both the program and location(s). Moving forward, they have structured a new board of directors and are even working on the location for MACNA 2025.
Some changes will be for those who cannot attend to see the conference speakers via Zoom and get the education the organization 's mission promotes.
There will be new tiers of membership and member cost which includes added gifts, benefits, vendor discounts, savings with vendors and digital memberships at a lower member fee. They do promise more member involvement, at conferences more stuff to do and see and more activities to make it a full weekend of fun.
The added conference activities will include hands on for attendees and even children where you can learn and do water testing, fragging, plumbing and more.
I surely hope they reduce their prices for the banquet which was a highlight of the confernce, However I was NOT going to even consider paying $85 for a chicken dinner which was what was offered at the 2022 conference. Three of us went out afterwards for Chicago deep dish and wine/soda and bill was $44 and we had to take remainder of Pizza hoem - it was too filling.

Macna 2024 will be August 30 -September 1, 2024

Is anyone excited and plan to attend?
If not, what are your reasons (without ripping on the organization)
What was your experience/best experience at previous MACNA conferences?

2022:

1693403914829.jpeg
1693403934710.jpeg
1693403951615.jpeg
1693403968807.jpeg
1693403985723.jpeg
1693404000921.jpeg
1693404016852.jpeg

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy they have restructured, and look forward to being a member. I hope they will have an event in the midwest area someday, as I have never been to MACNA. The industry events have all seemed to have moved to the coastlines, and require a full on vacation to attend them. I will not be able to attend this one.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am happy they have restructured, and look forward to being a member. I hope they will have an event in the midwest area someday, as I have never been to MACNA. The industry events have all seemed to have moved to the coastlines, and require a full on vacation to attend them. I will not be able to attend this one.
They were in Milwaukee 2022 and was a disaster but if any Midwest- I would think Chicago. Chicago marine society many years did their event at odell Center near Schaumburg, Illinois and that too has disappeared.
All have moved to Texas, Orlando , New York and other large cities forecasting higher attendance, adequate hotel and parking space and nearby airports

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hopeful! I’m definitely rooting for them. I’m not sure we’ll attend this year, but we are definitely considering it.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were in Milwaukee 2022 and was a disaster but if any Midwest- I would think Chicago. Chicago marine society many years did their event at odell Center near Schaumburg, Illinois and that too has disappeared.
All have moved to Texas, Orlando , New York and other large cities forecasting higher attendance, adequate hotel and parking space and nearby airports
Chicago would be my best bet, as it is a five hour drive. I suspect it may also be a money issue. They have to go where the cash is to make it worth the vendors time. My guess is that's why the other events left the Chicago area as well. But, maybe someday I'll convince my wife to fly on a plane. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been to almost all since MACNA 10 in Chicago.
I have gotten to know many people & go back to see them & renew friendships.
I also enjoy the show floor with all its new things to see.
We might just meet up in Orlando!

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never been but want to. I was booked to Vegas a few years ago then was talked out of it and wish I would not have cancelled. I can not attend this one already booked wish it was the following weekend.

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't be attending anything in Florida, especially at the beginning of hurricane season. I feel similarly about Texas. I would love something in Chicago or Vegas though! I will try to tune in to the virtual sessions, if possible.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MACNA has always been held on Labor Day Weekend.
It will probably be fine. I just don't like hot, southern places myself and having lived in Florida several years, I only go back to visit friends and family. I wouldn't go for a vacation. :grimacing-face:. Lot's of traffic in both places, heat, and just not my kind of place to visit for fun.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the one in Milwaukee last year and it was a complete and total waste of time and money. Now, I've been to enough trade shows over the years to know that going on the last day can be underwhelming, but this was just insulting. There were a handful of vendors there with overpriced corals and a few big brand (ecotech etc) booths and that was about it. My daughter and I walked a few laps and left about 20 minutes later.
I don't remember how much I paid for myself, my daughter and street parking but it was too much. My daughter was so excited to go too. I felt bad for dragging her along.
They were in Milwaukee 2022 and was a disaster
Was the whole weekend bad? I assumed it was because I was there on the last day. But even then, I honestly couldn't understand why the internet made it sound like this was THE even to attend if you are in the hobby. I was expecting Disneyland and got a church festival.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never been to MACNA, and honestly probably never will (same with RAP and whatever the other big one is). Main part is location. I find it hard to justify spending money (airfare, hotel, tickets, etc.) just to possibly spend more money from vendors whose products I can buy online at the same or similar cost (including shipping).

Unless the shows miraculously end up somewhere in Ohio, you’ll likely never see be there.

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was not the best but as 1 of the speakers said "its Milwaukee" , not known for the saltwater hobby.
Hold Up GIF by Awkward Daytime TV

I mean, we have a few LFS’s and very dedicated reefers. We try! :pleading-face:

I was on hiatus from the hobby and had no idea it was in town or I might have gone. To be fair, Chicago or Minneapolis probably would have been a better choice for most people.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I went to the one in Milwaukee last year and it was a complete and total waste of time and money. Now, I've been to enough trade shows over the years to know that going on the last day can be underwhelming, but this was just insulting. There were a handful of vendors there with overpriced corals and a few big brand (ecotech etc) booths and that was about it. My daughter and I walked a few laps and left about 20 minutes later.
I don't remember how much I paid for myself, my daughter and street parking but it was too much. My daughter was so excited to go too. I felt bad for dragging her along.

Was the whole weekend bad? I assumed it was because I was there on the last day. But even then, I honestly couldn't understand why the internet made it sound like this was THE even to attend if you are in the hobby. I was expecting Disneyland and got a church festival.
You likely saw me as I was one of the worker volunteers at entrance handing out goodie bags. The whole weekend was similar to what you saw. There was no food other than Very expensive vending machines at entrance of building and the average attendee stayed up to two hours.
I cant elaborate on this being with Macna but " Ive been to bigger and better frag swaps opposed to what the event offered"
This was recognized by the board and has been addressed and potentially improved moving forward and the day you went , did not help as it was cold and very wet with heavy rain

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It was not the best but as 1 of the speakers said "its Milwaukee" , not known for the saltwater hobby.
Lots of reefers in Wi but it did not draw many from from outlying areas as most of these events do. Best part was the neptune/apex event early on Day 1

mnat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see MACNA is coming back and that it sounds like they are changing some things up. Running an even the size of MACNA is no easy task. We have been to Atlantic City NJ, Florida, Denver, DC, and San Diego MACNAs and they were always a great way to meet up with people and give you an excuse to explore other cities. Hopefully we will make it back to Florida for this one as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back