Magnifica reef. Going back to halides! Help with # of fixtures, mount height, photo period....

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little up front info:
My Kessil A360 WE's are getting old, somewhere between 6 and 8 years or so, depending on the fixture. They have been over multiple tanks over the years and I have been very content with them. Currently, I run the Kessils 11 hours a day, ramping up to 100% color and 100% intensity for 7 hours and then ramp back down.
However, as I said, the Kessils are getting old and now is probably the time to replace them.
In my opinion, Mags look best under natural sunlight, so I've been considering going to a more natural sunlight spectrum for the Mags. Watching Dr. Mac's (PacificEastAquaculture.com) Youtube videos of his Mags under natural sunlight in his greenhouse, along with other videos of them in the wild, has me mesmerized, and I want to try and emulate that as best as possible. So, I started considering going back to lower Kelvin metal halides rather than another LED fixture, most of which today are heavily blue spectrum dominant.
As if the gods were listening, an incredible deal popped up locally this past weekend and I jumped on it.
I just purchased 3, never used, Hamilton Technology, 250 watt, HQI metal halide pendants and ballasts from a local reefer. I've decided to give them a try over the Magnifica reef. Unfortunately, no bulbs came with them so I just ordered 3 Reefbrite 14K bulbs from Premium Aquatics and 3 10K Chinese reef bulbs off ebay. I couldn't find any 6500K bulbs, which I'd like to try as well. I'll keep looking for some of those.

So, here's where I could use some input. It's been a minute since I've used metal halides.
Spread: Tank is 48" long x 24" wide x 16" tall, 80 gallon Deep Blue. Go with 2 of these pendants, mounted horizontally with the tank front? Or, go with all 3 of them, mounted perpendicular to the tank front, spaced evenly? Would 3 be overkill? Mags like a lot of light but if 2 fixtures would cover, I'd like to save the electricity and heat.
Mounting height: How high should I start with? I've read 250 watt halides mounted anywhere from 6" to 14" high depending on PAR demands. The Mags are used to very high intensity from the Kessils, but again, they are old and I'm not sure how much PAR they are currently putting out. What kind of PAR to expect from these bulbs and fixtures? I think the Mags could handle anything the halides put out, but I'd rather play it safe and not burn them.
Photoperiod: I'm also running 2 48" ATI blue plus T5's and 2 48" Quanta Mesa blue/violet LED bars. I'll continue to use them for early morning and late evening dawn/dusk lighting. I'm thinking of starting the halides with a 6 hour photo period and increasing to 8 hours over time. Thoughts?
I'd love to hear your thoughts and recommendations!
Here's a video of the tank I shot a bit ago showing off the size and colors of the Mags under blue LED, full spectrum LED, low flow and high random flow.

Attached are pics of the new halide fixtures and ballasts.

Image 5.jpeg Image 7.jpeg Image 6.jpeg

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case anyone is interested, I'm going to try just 2 of these 250 fixtures over the Mag reef to start. I'll be mounting them 15" over the water level and lower if necessary, starting with a 6 hour photo period. T5's and Quanta LED bars for dawn/dusk. Hopefully it will give me the look I want and keep the Mags happy.
I'll post a video once up and running.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case anyone is interested, I'm going to try just 2 of these 250 fixtures over the Mag reef to start. I'll be mounting them 15" over the water level and lower if necessary, starting with a 6 hour photo period. T5's and Quanta LED bars for dawn/dusk. Hopefully it will give me the look I want and keep the Mags happy.
I'll post a video once up and running.
If its not too late, snap a before and after photo to compare lighting visual impact for the old and new lights. Swapping out bulbs in the Halide fixture would be a bonus but I wouldn't go that far since the bulbs get hot.
also
You do know to wear gloves to keep finger prints off the MH bulbs? Finger oils impact the glass when the bulbs get hot.

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just say NO to 6500K, it will not be nice to look at. Pee water a la Iwasaki par monsters from back in the day.
10,000K should be a nice daylight look. Ushio's is what they were I believe.
14,000K will have a blue tint, aesthetically pleasing but won't be as natural looking as the 10,000. I think Hamilton made a popular one way back.

Man, I remember those ballasts! Heavy suckers!
I feel like mounting 15" high is counter-intuitive for the direction you are going with this.
Especially with those reflectors, I'm thinking start at around 10".
2 fixtures should be fine. Add the third if you want them to feel the sunshine!

*Actually starting higher isn't so bad. You are shooting for more natural full-spectrum, I kept thinking you were going for more par.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies KrisReef and Tub Life!
To be safe, I will mount the halides a bit higher for the first week or so.
Here is a video I just took with the tank under full daylight lighting. Kessils at 100% intensity and 100% color. T5's and Quata blue/violet bars running too.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great vid of the tank!
Those chromis' running the gauntlet everyday!
Thank you! It was looking particularly nice that evening. Actually, the chromis pretty much swing out front or behind the Mags all day. Some of them actually sleep underneath the Mag's columns at night.
I made the switch over to the new 250 watt 14K halides last night for a few hours. What a difference! Even mounted 18" up, the tank was noticeably brighter. However, the new coloration will take some getting use to. At first, I thought I may have made a judgment error by going to 14K. I'll give it a few days/weeks to be sure. It's not quite as white as I'd hoped it would be. Maybe some 'burn in' is required? Maybe I'll try 20K bulbs? Shimmer is also quite a bit less than with the 4 Kessils. Maybe due to them being mounted so high?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It was looking particularly nice that evening. Actually, the chromis pretty much swing out front or behind the Mags all day. Some of them actually sleep underneath the Mag's columns at night.
I made the switch over to the new 250 watt 14K halides last night for a few hours. What a difference! Even mounted 18" up, the tank was noticeably brighter. However, the new coloration will take some getting use to. At first, I thought I may have made a judgment error by going to 14K. I'll give it a few days/weeks to be sure. It's not quite as white as I'd hoped it would be. Maybe some 'burn in' is required? Maybe I'll try 20K bulbs? Shimmer is also quite a bit less than with the 4 Kessils. Maybe due to them being mounted so high?
My better half insists on Phoenix 14K for her observation enjoyment when I was using DE bulbs.

I was curious if this was the bulb you settled upon?

They always looked less blue and more yellow/white than the Phoenix bulbs, same Kelvin.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the 14K Reefbrite bulbs from Premium Aquatics. My eyes are just so used to the Kessil's full spectrum after so many years of running them. The 48" Quanta Mesa blue violet LEDs help a little bit to offset the 14K color and bring out a little bit of 'pop' to the corals. No 'pop' at all with the 14K's alone.

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10k will be whiter.
14k was kind of a sweet spot, white with blue tint.
20k will be bluer.

MH do need a little burn in to get true color rendition.

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My better half insists on Phoenix 14K for her observation enjoyment when I was using DE bulbs.

I was curious if this was the bulb you settled upon?

They always looked less blue and more yellow/white than the Phoenix bulbs, same Kelvin.
That was it! Phoenix!
Yes, that was my 250w DE bulb of choice as well.
Ran those with VHO actinics for the win!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was it! Phoenix!
Yes, that was my 250w DE bulb of choice as well.
Ran those with VHO actinics for the win!
Seems like the OG Phoenix are discontinued or just hard to find? I see a few different "Hexarc Replacements" advertised here and there but I am skeptical that they provide the same spectrum and pop of the original.

I quit with the DE bulbs because they were becoming scarce and the prices were increasing, ~5 Years ago.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal to smell a slight burning smell when firing up these new bulbs and ballasts? Ballasts are warm to the touch but not burning hot. Fixtures are pretty hot to touch.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's been about a week now. I have 2 of the 250 watt fixtures hanging 18" above the water level. I started running the halides for 4 hours a day for a few days and have bumped it up to 5 hours a day now. I'll be increasing to 6 hours a day staring Friday.
I don't think the Mags liked the change initially. They all started moving around, a few deflated for a few days and none have expanded to their full size yet. Some started climbing high on the glass walls and will move back again if I relocate them back on the rocks. I can't tell if they are climbing because they are seeking more light or if they are trying to "get away" from too much light. None have moved down lower on the rocks.
I am enjoying the coloration from these 14K halides with the Quanta Mesa blue/violet supplementation.
Here's a video
It is brighter than the video shows.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will take several months if not more for them to really adapt to the halides. Whenever I move my rose bubble tips between halide and LED tanks it takes them weeks of hiding or moving before they adjust. They’ll be fine though eventually if they’re acclimated properly. I have a large Magnifica that sits right underneath the waters surface under a 400 watt Radium metal halide. It can’t get enough light.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's been about a week now. I have 2 of the 250 watt fixtures hanging 18" above the water level. I started running the halides for 4 hours a day for a few days and have bumped it up to 5 hours a day now. I'll be increasing to 6 hours a day staring Friday.
I don't think the Mags liked the change initially. They all started moving around, a few deflated for a few days and none have expanded to their full size yet. Some started climbing high on the glass walls and will move back again if I relocate them back on the rocks. I can't tell if they are climbing because they are seeking more light or if they are trying to "get away" from too much light. None have moved down lower on the rocks.
I am enjoying the coloration from these 14K halides with the Quanta Mesa blue/violet supplementation.
Here's a video
It is brighter than the video shows.

absolutely beautiful! makes me want a nem haha :)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Them halides are putting out much more light than your kessils did.. I’d say they’re adjusting to the brighter lighting myself… I run 250w Phoenix 14k and I’m hitting 1000+ par an inch under the waterline and 500-600 at 12” deep. Sand bed is 130-250 depending on overlap.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back