Magnifying glass

JFleur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, was just curious as to what you guys use for magnifying glasses on the tanks? Id like to get a closer look at my corals but not sure if theres even a such thing as a tank magnifying glass

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one of the cheap ones.
57EA8BE1-1144-42C6-9551-E6E1F451B14C.jpeg
29F80053-82A3-4EBF-AF5A-88873A4BB3BB.jpeg

BZos106

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, was just curious as to what you guys use for magnifying glasses on the tanks? Id like to get a closer look at my corals but not sure if theres even a such thing as a tank magnifying glass

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reading glasses. +2.50. keeps your hands free.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge there are 2 good magnifying glasses for the tank. first is the one form flipper that @BZos106 posted. The second is the portal. I currently have the flipper brand and it works great. The magnet is a bit weak for my 1/2" glass and it sometimes falls off when I move it too quickly (it doesn't float so I have to fish it out). The price point is spot on for what it is.

I also owned the portal and iirc it has 8 magnets that couple the magnifier to the glass, I've never had it separate. The price is a bit more (I would imagine the 8 magnets drive the price up) but it can also be used as a glass cleaner as well (so can the flipper but it has less surface area and will take a long time to clean a big tank). I owned the portal for over 8 years and one of the magnets on the wet side got wet and I can no longer keep it attached to the tank, I occasionally bring it out when there's multiple people looking at the tank.

In the terms of magnification, they both are comparable, with the portal slightly winning out. however when trying to view something further in the tank (say 12" back) the flipper has better clarity and focus.

My biggest fear was having the flipper fall to the floor and break, but it has proven to hold on tight enough that I don't worry anymore.

Personally, aesthetically I like the portal, but in the end I would have to choose functionality over form simply based on price.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually really loved the old glass ones I had as a kid. It was glass, huge and had a metal frame. No distortion that I could remember. Now my use back then was not to look at things but being a dumb kid I burned everything around me with it, it could set leaves on fire. I am glad I was not malicious with it. Either way though, I am thinking I do not want one of these cheap plastic ones and I have been digging through Ebay for a large glass magnifying glass.

You know what they say, "they do not make them like they used to". Good luck finding anything on Amazon with any quality these days. I do not want a flipper for two reasons. I do not want any more chance to scratch my glass other than through possible cleaning. Second, I want to be able to take it between my refugium, sump and display tank without the hassle of a flipper.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back