Majestic Angelfish Infection Treatment

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I picked this guy up last Sunday (11/19) he had just finished up a full coppersafe treatment. He acted completely normal (around 4" in size) just didn't see him eat, was told by everybody at the store he was and he was isolated, so I'm guessing he was. I also picked up a similar sized Naso Tang. Both fish went into my 20 gallon QT. I tried to get him to eat for the next couple days, but didn't even acknowledge food. So, I decided to medicate him with PraziPro to make sure he didn't have any flukes. Went through this treatment fine. He did pick at a clam a little a couple times. But after the Naso found the clam, he attacks them too, so the angel just stays away from them too.

Yesterday (11/27), I was finally able to clear out another tank. So, the Naso Tang was moved out to maybe allow the Angel a more peaceful environment. However, I now notice that the Angel appears to have lost the skin on the top of it's head. See photos. I decided to do a 25% water change to maybe help with parameters, even though they tested good: Am=0, NO2=0, NO3=0, Salinity=1.024, pH=8

This morning I went to check on him, and noticed that the timer got bumped and the lights were on all night, great. But, anyway the skin is worst than last night. I've been advised it's probably HLLE and to treat with either Furan 2 or KanaPlex. My LFS only had 1 KanaPlex so they're holding it for me. Seachem wasn't sure if a skimmer would effect it, so I'm planning on running the skimmer unless it starts to go crazy as directed by them.

As far as getting him to eat I was going to pickup some Garlic Guard or Entice if my LFS has it. I've tried live brine, live blackworms, thawed frozen clam, frozen brine, frozen mysis, Omega One pellets, NLS pellets, Dainichi pellets, hikari pellets.

I'm looking to pick this stuff up tonight, I was going to start with KanaPlex unless people have had better luck with Furan 2. How about either of the appetite boosters, Entice or Garlic Guard, is one better than the other for marine angels? Any advise, I'd like to try to save this fish.
mini-20171127_182325.jpg
mini-20171127_192822.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
falconut

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's currently not eating, so I have to get him to eat first before I can give him vitamins right? I don't believe there are any that can be dosed, correct?

I haven't been using any carbon, just a skimmer & filter floss. I'll have to check for stray voltage. It already got bad overnight, so I'm going to try the antibiotic rather than do nothing at this point.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's currently not eating, so I have to get him to eat first before I can give him vitamins right? I don't believe there are any that can be dosed, correct?

@jsker Which vitamin supplements do you dose directly into the water column of your reef?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which vitamin supplements do you dose directly into the water column of your reef?

I haven't been using any carbon, just a skimmer & filter floss. I'll have to check for stray voltage. It already got bad overnight, so I'm going to try the antibiotic rather than do nothing at this point.
Vitamarin c and vitamarin M both liquids. Add a half a teaspoon right into the DT

OP
OP
falconut

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has progressed way more tonight, this is crazy, it was just overnight. I did add KanaPlex to see if this helps slow it down or stop it from spreading. It almost looks like a skin infection. I can't seem to find any photos online that look exactly like it. So, I can only guess what's going on.

So, you're saying adding Vitamin C directly into the water benefits the fish? I always thought dosing was just for corals and fish had to be fed. Learn something new every day.

mini-20171128_174217.jpg
mini-20171128_174222.jpg

OP
OP
falconut

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish - Tested for voltage and it was at 30. I only have 3 items (heater, maxijet & typical HOB filter) turns out to be the HOB filter, unplug it and it drops to 6. I grabbed my grounding probe from another tank and now it's 0, so we'll see.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen this before on large angels and I’ve always lost them over a week or two. Not sure what happened. My guess is an infection of some sort!

Last edited:

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is an infection - or even if you just want to treat it as one, just to keep that base covered - Furan-2, Kanaplex and Metroplex will work very well together, in concert. Dose each according to package instructions, for ten days, and evaluate. Sometimes you have to go a bit longer. Whatever this is, it's moving pretty fast, and I'm not sure whether HLLE does that.

~Bruce

OP
OP
falconut

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've added KanaPlex already, so maybe it will slow or stop it.

I've seen fish (in stores) with HLLE, but they never looked like this. Doesn't mean it isn't, but the speed of this is crazy. One day looks fine, two days later this.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is an infection - or even if you just want to treat it as one, just to keep that base covered - Furan-2, Kanaplex and Metroplex will work very well together, in concert. Dose each according to package instructions, for ten days, and evaluate. Sometimes you have to go a bit longer. Whatever this is, it's moving pretty fast, and I'm not sure whether HLLE does that.

^^ I agree with this; it would be highly unusual for HLLE to spread this fast.

Dosing Furan-2 + Kanaplex + Metroplex is your best option; unless you can get your hands on this ASAP: http://store.nationalfishpharm.com/NFP-products-Nitrofuracin-Green-59584.Item.html

Performing either an Acriflavine or Methylene Blue bath would be a great idea as well.

seamonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It some kind of infection.. HLLE isn’t that fast, but marine velvet is!looks like it could be that.. Is the angel eating yet?

OP
OP
falconut

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, still not eating. Looked at a couple pieces, but didn't even attempt to eat. This morning I peeked at him and now his front blue band is almost gone and the stomach spot is about the size of a nickle. I'm thinking he was either damaged during collection or at the LFS during their copper treatment.

Over the past year I've gotten 7 fish from them and:

1 - Majestic Angelfish - Issues listed above.
2 - Naso Tang - Eating great and looking good, still doing fine.
3 - Blue Lined B/F - Was flashing shortly after adding to tank. Treated with Cupramine and is now good.
4 - Yellowtail Poma Angelfish - Ate a little for a few days, stopped eating, had flukes (found out too late) faded away.
5 - Yellow Pyramid B/F - Day after purchase was covered with ich, LFS took back.
6 - Yellow Pyramid B/F - Day after purchase was covered with ich, LFS took back.
7 - Hippo Tang - Ate great from the start and is still doing good.

Looks like I may have to take them off my list of places to shop. Luckily I have another LFS close by and my track record with their fish is almost perfect. Just like having two places to shop, but don't think I can take the gamble anymore.

OP
OP
falconut

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to say, he was dead when I got home. Can't say I was surprised, he went downhill quickly. Thanks for all the advise everybody.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 101 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back