Majority of Fish Died Overnight

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm sorry about your losses :(
Hopefully you can figure out the cause and treat properly, you have some excellent help given to you already.

However, I do hope that you will not add the ribbon eel and midas blenny like you were talking about in your other thread until your tank has fully recovered.

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry about your losses :(
Hopefully you can figure out the cause and treat properly, you have some excellent help given to you already.

However, I do hope that you will not add the ribbon eel and midas blenny like you were talking about in your other thread until your tank has fully recovered.
Thank you. No of course not, I’m not adding fish in until all fish are treated in a separate tank and display runs fallow for 60 days. I still haven’t fully stocked this tank…

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I’m currently in pretty much tears. Overnight my Achilles, yellow tang, Wantanabe Angel, flame angel, fire shrimp and others all died.

They were all breathing heavily last night and I sat there knowing there was nothing I could do at 11:00 PM on such short notice and it may be the last time I would see those fish. I’ve had a lot of those fish since I’ve started the hobby and feel heartbroken right now.

Anyone have any suggestions for next steps? My clowns still seem to be ok, hippo tang is hiding, firefish, hawkfish, eel, and my wrasses are hiding so I’m not sure…

Wow what a crappy way to start the day.

Quitting isn’t an option as I just upgraded to a 200 gallon but what a kick in the face.
Sorry to hear that.

Looks like there are already four pages of responses and I’m on my phone running errands and I just can’t read them all….

Rapid/overnight massive fish death is either velvet, low dissolved oxygen or a toxin in the water. You mentioned a shrimp died - did any other invertebrates die? Did the snails close up? If so, that could be a low oxygen issue. If the corals are all still looking good, then you can rule out other toxins. If just the shrimp died, it could be low oxygen, but it also could be a coincidence, with velvet being the root cause.

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that.

Looks like there are already four pages of responses and I’m on my phone running errands and I just can’t read them all….

Rapid/overnight massive fish death is either velvet, low dissolved oxygen or a toxin in the water. You mentioned a shrimp died - did any other invertebrates die? Did the snails close up? If so, that could be a low oxygen issue. If the corals are all still looking good, then you can rule out other toxins. If just the shrimp died, it could be low oxygen, but it also could be a coincidence, with velvet being the root cause.
So update, I added the air stone and it seemed to help. The remaining fish no longer have breathing issues except for the yellow tang who was still on its side when I came home. I gently nudged him and he started swimming but all out of wack. I think I had oxygen issues and velvet. Here’s a picture of the Achilles…

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update, I added the air stone and it seemed to help. The remaining fish no longer have breathing issues except for the yellow tang who was still on its side when I came home. I gently nudged him and he started swimming but all out of wack. I think I had oxygen issues and velvet. Here’s a picture of the Achilles…
IMG_2506.jpeg
IMG_2506.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2507.jpeg
    IMG_2507.jpeg
    257 KB · Views: 11

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can I leave the eel in the main tank?
No. Not to accomplish what you're trying to do. Thats just a reality unfortunately. However - not all eels do poorly with copper. Realize this is a tough position

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is the achilles still alive in this picture? Looks like there is a blood red shrimp at its head? Is the shrimp alive and acting normally?

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Not to accomplish what you're trying to do. Thats just a reality unfortunately. However - not all eels do poorly with copper. Realize this is a tough position
Good thing I have three tanks, I’ll put him
In a 15 gallon temporarily.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The yellow tang is in very very bad shape. ALL of your fish should be placed in a copper protocol IMHO. The debate about the airstone - seems to have deflected the real issue - which very likely to be a disease that is untreated.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
By the way - I didn't mean to sound 'harsh' - of course this is extremely difficult for you - and your fish. So - apologies if it sounded harsh.

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow tang is in very very bad shape. ALL of your fish should be placed in a copper protocol IMHO. The debate about the airstone - seems to have deflected the real issue - which very likely to be a disease that is untreated.
yes I thought it was ich only and I was attempting ich management. However I think it was something else and ich.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - also - the invertebrates cannot be treated with copper - just to reiterate:)

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see the color difference on the Achilles, three weeks ago he had spots of ich. Two days ago it changed to more of a dusty white powdered on the body so it literally changed the color. I think velvet. The flame angel is also much more pale than usual.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back