OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recent FTS's?
Just a quick phone pic. I've never really figured out how to take a good full tank shot.

51918756313_73f9d3d2bd_k.jpg

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love, love, LOVE the dimensions of your tank!

My next tank will be something along those lines.
Yeah, I keep seeing these new Red Sea and water box tanks released and I’m always disappointed by the depth. I couldn’t imagine doing anything less than 30” front to back again. If I could I’d like to get back to 36” and maybe 60” long again. Not sure I’ll ever get the wife convinced though.

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of bigger tanks. I've started trimming out some pieces to open up some space for some newer more impressive sticks. However, the local market here is frustratingly soft. Just sold this 3-1/2" chunk to a local for $60. I really need to start shipping stuff out in order to capture what things are worth. Felt a little bit like a hoarder letting this one go. :D

51920257695_cbeb566108_k.jpg

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of bigger tanks. I've started trimming out some pieces to open up some space for some newer more impressive sticks. However, the local market here is frustratingly soft. Just sold this 3-1/2" chunk to a local for $60. I really need to start shipping stuff out in order to capture what things are worth. Felt a little bit like a hoarder letting this one go. :D

51920257695_cbeb566108_k.jpg
where in Washington are you? I am also in Washington. Spokane

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where in Washington are you? I am also in Washington. Spokane
Oh, no longer in Washington. I moved the tank to Nebraska during the summer of 2020. Drove 24hrs straight with 3 brute trash cans full of rock, coral and fish. Then I flew back to make the same drive with the tank and the rest of the house goods. Fun times and lots of brown coral.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, no longer in Washington. I moved the tank to Nebraska during the summer of 2020. Drove 24hrs straight with 3 brute trash cans full of rock, coral and fish. Then I flew back to make the same drive with the tank and the rest of the house goods. Fun times and lots of brown coral.
Thats dedication, 24hrs strait, you got a little trucker blood in you o_O

tinyfellows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, up in WA state. Just thought I would be creative with the name. Feels a bit like a nano tank after having much more room and real estate before.
Not to hijacke the thread but I’m in Washington and starting my first reef what stores in Washington do you shop at if any?

tinyfellows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really only ever went to Inland Corals. Ron is knowledgeable and super fair. I’d try his shop
Next time I’m out east I will check out that shop for sure thanks.

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is next on the chopping block. In my haste of moving the tank I set a chunk of this coral in a really good spot of real estate and now I regret as this one has encrusted a good amount. Once I clear the branches out, I'm not sure how to handle the encrustment. I've tried kalkwasser and scraping in the past with mixed results. Anybody have better suggestions?

Vivids Rainbow Delight
51907231037_cdfb77f342_k.jpg

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWC Pink Panther

51908803035_05e1c2d93b_k.jpg
Nice shot of your pink panther! I have one and have a hard time getting a good photo of it. Is that a confetti in the background? What filter do you use? I have an orange filter filter my dslr, but I think it needs to more orange to get a better shot of this coral.

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice shot of your pink panther! I have one and have a hard time getting a good photo of it. Is that a confetti in the background? What filter do you use? I have an orange filter filter my dslr, but I think it needs to more orange to get a better shot of this coral.
Yes to the confetti. In fact I think the Pink Panther is losing the battle of surrounding corals. :(

I don't use any filters. That shot was with ISO500, f/8, 1/250. Then everything else was handled in Lightroom. Photos come in pretty dark, but I like this as it allows more room for color correction. I really think the lens goes a long way with its stabilization capability to get decent shots.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to the confetti. In fact I think the Pink Panther is losing the battle of surrounding corals. :(

I don't use any filters. That shot was with ISO500, f/8, 1/250. Then everything else was handled in Lightroom. Photos come in pretty dark, but I like this as it allows more room for color correction. I really think the lens goes a long way with its stabilization capability to get decent shots.

I love seeing your pics and how well everything looks, I also under expose in the actual camera image, not to your skills and only a jpeg but as you said it does capture colours well, excuse the spam.

DSC_0003 (1024x797).jpg

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love seeing your pics and how well everything looks, I also under expose in the actual camera image, not to your skills and only a jpeg but as you said it does capture colours well, excuse the spam.

DSC_0003 (1024x797).jpg
If you can get RAW files and move them into something like Lightroom you will be amazed at the difference in editing you can achieve. JPGs are just tough to work with in my experience. Am I seeing some color variation in the polyps on the right in your photo? Kinda cool.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get RAW files and move them into something like Lightroom you will be amazed at the difference in editing you can achieve. JPGs are just tough to work with in my experience. Am I seeing some color variation in the polyps on the right in your photo? Kinda cool.

Thanks, I still need to just bite the bullet and learn raw editing software, there are a series of that pic, that one polyp stands out at about three feet away.

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Interesting. So what color temperature do you typically shoot your photos in w/ your camera? I typically shoot at a 10k setting. Tried to do custom white balance and doesn't really work out well in my attempts. How many stops do you shoot underexposed? When your shooting, is your tank lit w/ a full spectrum vs mainly blues? I have both the pink panther and confetti. The confetti is photogenic under whites and blues. The pink panther looks good only under blues IMO. Maybe I try your approach to do more postprocessing w/o filters.

Here is my confetti under blues with a filter.

My Pink Panther under blues w/ a more orange filter w/ my phone instead of DSLR. It won't look as good if I use my less orange filter I have for my DSLR.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back