Manaul Water Change- how do I change the amount of time required to perform the water change

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to change 5g of water. It is set to do so over 24 hours. Can I make that 4 hours instead of 24? I figure if the DOS can do 31g a day, 4 hours would be adaquete for a 5g change.

Thank you in advance.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a 20g water change in a 40g aio tank in about 15 minutes.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to change 5g of water. It is set to do so over 24 hours. Can I make that 4 hours instead of 24? I figure if the DOS can do 31g a day, 4 hours would be adaquete for a 5g change.

Thank you in advance.

Mix your new water to temp and salinity in a 5 gallon bucket.

Siphon out 5, then put in 5.

5 minutes, once the new water is ready.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I think he's asking the APEX DOS to do it. This is a programming issue.

OP, have you set up the AWC in the apex already? If so, it a matter of changing parameters in the menu for the dos.

Go into each head and change the ml.
I think the pump changes the speed based on amount and time to do it in.

Screenshot_20240508_093429_APEXFusion.jpg Screenshot_20240508_093443_APEXFusion.jpg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP, have you set up the AWC in the apex already? If so, it a matter of changing parameters in the menu for the dos.

Nice catch! I didn't get that from the OP.

Seems to me that a 5 gallon weekly water change is easy enough to do stand alone.

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don't know what the capacity of the DOS pumps is. I think that's what they are talking about, just doing it in one shot instead of over 24 hours.

OP
OP
P

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Screenshot_20240508_093429_APEXFusion.jpg Screenshot_20240508_093443_APEXFusion.jpg
Ah the modify interval tab! Thank you. I had set it in the time parameter section, but it defaulted back to 24 hours. I will try under that tab. I appreciate you help.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this supposed to be a daily thing with a big reservoir or a once in a while thing, mixing saltwater on demand thing?

In the latter case, it's probably better, more convenient and let's you put away the mixing container faster to just get a small return pump/ato pump/saltwater ready fountain pump with a hose on it and move the water in a couple minutes rather than hours

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this supposed to be a daily thing with a big reservoir or a once in a while thing, mixing saltwater on demand thing?

In the latter case, it's probably better, more convenient and let's you put away the mixing container faster to just get a small return pump/ato pump/saltwater ready fountain pump with a hose on it and move the water in a couple minutes rather than hours
With the dos, you can set it up as a daily wc, (or certain days), or as a "on demand" wc by a button or time.

OP
OP
P

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I see your point. I could buy two pumps, use one to pump the water in, and another to pump the water out. I could measure the amount I am pumping out, and then measure the amount I am pumping in to make sure they were equal. My salt reservoir is 150 feet away, so would only need a couple of small pumps. I could clear room in my sump for the pump to pump the water out... Maybe get some type of container in the yard with a drain on the bottom so once I pumped the 5g out I would know I was at 5g.I guess I would need a remote, or a second person to turn the pump in the sump off once the 5g waste water bucket was full since it is so far away. I would also need to calculate the amount of water that would be held by the hose... Then I could do the same thing in reverse and turn on the pump in my salt reservoir tank, and once it pumped out 5g- the amount of water in the hose, I could turn that one off more easily since I would be next to it....

Or I could just use the spare DOS I already have, automate the whole thing by just running the lines once, and never lift anything heavier than a scoop of salt for the next couple of years.

I'm choosing the latter man. That's one of the things the DOS is designed to do. Having the DOS work for 5 hours doesn't bug me at all. I can program it to run when I am leaving the house. Having it go for 24 hours, I hear it, so that bugs me.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%

Back