Manderin is discolored

dnelson24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a manderine goby, and he has been great since I got him. He is starting to look discolored tonight. I'm worried he is starving or something. I do not have a pod settup because the previous owner never did. He seemed to be eating the brine shrimp fairly well. Any ideas?

Up2no6ood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No he is not doing that because he is starving.....many fish change their colors at night.... He is just blending in with his surroundings. Mine goes almost ghost white at night and he is as fat as a cow.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No he is not doing that because he is starving.....many fish change their colors at night.... He is just blending in with his surroundings. Mine goes almost ghost white at night and he is as fat as a cow.

Agreed (forgot about that with mandarins.) They secrete a lot of mucous at night, which is why they look white. However, that being said, I don't see how you can supply enough ample pods for a mandarin (long-term) in just a 29 gal. Supplemental feeding of brine/mysis is great, but they still need a steady supply of pods.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed (forgot about that with mandarins.) They secrete a lot of mucous at night, which is why they look white. However, that being said, I don't see how you can supply enough ample pods for a mandarin (long-term) in just a 29 gal. Supplemental feeding of brine/mysis is great, but they still need a steady supply of pods.

+1. I used to think my mandarin was dying when I would see it in the morning. It would have a cloudy look to it. I would also look to supplementing its diet with pods periodically. They have voracious appetites.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 176 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back