Marine velvet

Funtrader

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have or had marine velvet. I lost 5 fish and took the opportunity to re aquascape the tank. The tanks has been with no fish for a month now and the fish have been in quarantine with cooper power. Question how much longer do I have left before adding the fish back in the tank? How do I know if the tank is still infected? Not sure what to do next now that I hit the 1 month and 3 days mark.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I have or had marine velvet. I lost 5 fish and took the opportunity to re aquascape the tank. The tanks has been with no fish for a month now and the fish have been in quarantine with cooper power. Question how much longer do I have left before adding the fish back in the tank? How do I know if the tank is still infected? Not sure what to do next now that I hit the 1 month and 3 days mark.
another 2-4 more weeks and the longer you wait, is the likelihood you have ended their life cycles - It will be worth the wait

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since it's not for sure that it was velvet (though it sounds that way) - were the fish that are in QT also exposed to 'velvet'. Has your copper level been >2 the whole time? In any case - I would give 6-8 weeks as a fallow period. And I would dose the fish with prazipro per protocol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back