OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That cabinet is so nice. Tank looks great. Will look great once all together and filled up. I like seeing the differences in our countries to acheive the same result. Russian plywood. Something I'll never see unless I come to your house. I would love to see pics of your local fish store some time. Maybe on another thread. Following and thanks for sharing.

Thanks.
Actually it's the first time I ever saw or learned that there was any Russian plywood or that is a very good quality one... Local fish stores are nothing in comparison to what you guys have in the states. most of my fish and corals I had to import while on travel tot he states, Holland, Spain, Germany... Luckily things seem to be changing lately.

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to some tank updates.
Been struggling for weeks with choice of scape esepecially after I saw the amount of detritus that went out of my rocks in teh 150 while taking the corals out despite having a strong flow...
So the decision was taken to go with Ceramics. Had the chance that a fellow reefer here was also going with Ceramics which made ordering much easier.
We dealt with a company in Germany and their customer service in making multiple different scapes for our tanks based on our tank dimensions and requests was very helpful...
Got the following suggestions:
_DSC0001.jpg

_DSC0001.jpg

_DSC0002-2.jpg

_DSC0003-2.jpg

Then the fear from a longer cycle and going through all the alga outbreaks again hit, so I finally decided to just go with the left island from below scape with Cermaics as it'll be the largest one so needing the most stacking of LR to accomplish the look. Notice hopw open the rock is from teh inside and that it only has few support points and is mostly above sand level. the middle and right side islands will be made using LR from teh 150G tank which is close to 12-13 years old.
DSCF1544.jpg

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally my Wall unit was completed.
this is the view I'll get

DSC_7415.jpg

DSC_7417.jpg

And from 2nd seating area, I do get much more view onteh tank than I expected from drawings.
DSC_7418.jpg

And the open canopy showing all the access I get:
DSC_7411.jpg

Now the front doors are supported each by 2 Pistons that can handle 630 Newtons. So around 70 Kgs (150 Pounds) much more than the doors weigh, at least each alone can support the door easily as we experimented yesterday. So hopefully that would cause no accidents in the future. I'm also adding some padding on the wood to make sure it stops on wood and not on glass when it closes. It does stop really slow even if you dropp it but just thought it'd be safer.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely amazing build! Can't wait to see it filled up! 1smile1

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! What craftmanship. Its really nice. Cant wait to see it full!

ahvrivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW what i build... Looks great. GL with the scape. the second set of pics of the ceramic rocks look great.

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
Expecting to get the Ceramics by Tuesday as well as finish the external overflow and backdrops mid next week hopefully.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great maroun.c, I love all the access and that cabinet is very nice.

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received backgrounds for back and side pannels. Went with blue acrylic and leaving the paper on the backside of the acrylic I get this blue variation instead of uniform blue:
DSC_7433.jpg

DSC_7433.jpg

The workshop had a laser cut machine so I went with custom overflow comb on the side covers instead if attaching a ready made one on top.
DSC_7441.jpg

DSC_7443.jpg

DSC_7444.jpg

But the teeth felt very weak and I was afraid they'll break after some time so I had them redone as indicated by a fellow reefer here:
DSC_7450.jpg

DSC_7463.jpg

Which ended up much stronger.
Next steps:
External Overflow and picking up Ceramic rocks tomorrow, Plumbing and a wet test end of this week or beginning of coming one.

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass build was finished with the addition of the top side part next to overflow and overflow

DSC_7481.jpg

DSC_7478.jpg

DSC_7485.jpg

Initial plan was for 3 1.5 inch bulkheadsd and 1 1 inch one but the cabinet was a bit thicker than expected so lost 1 of the 1.5" bulkheads.
Overflow placement was a sure receipe for head bumps into it so added some silicone to act as a cushion.
DSC_7483.jpg

sides background with overflow screen siliconed to glass:
DSC_7495.jpg

DSC_74952.jpg

DSC_7491.jpg

DSC_7493.jpg

DSC_7496.jpg

Still have to add the back background hopefully today or tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ceramics finally received from Riff system
Was shocked with the size of the pallet they shipped in.
DSC_7586.jpg

The barrel on the right side is my water mixing tank which contains 1000L should be using it for filling up RODI water and saltmixing before pumping the water to the tank.
DSC_7587.jpg

Packing was professionaly done
DSC_7588.jpg

however the bridge arrived broken and had 3-4 small broken pieces of the ceramics. Not a big deal as they did send us some ceramic epoxy to fix the rocks on each other and they assisted me in finding out which piece goes where so should be fixing those in the comingdays. I'm amazed with the texture of the ceramics and how light and porous it is. So overall a very good product and an amazing customer service.
DSC_7592.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 80 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back