Matis catching journey

STLJam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I thought I might as well document my attempt to catch a mantis shrimp hitchiker. Set out a bottle trap today with frozen mysis in it. He has become more adventurous the longer he is in there. Little bugger went in the mouth and then darted off... hopefully he will come back.

Any suggestions that might help me catching him?

1000003066.jpg
1000003062.jpg
1000003067.jpg

Last edited:

DanATL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many years ago I captured a mantis hitchhiker with a cassette tape case trap (yes this was years ago!). I put some bait in a clear cassette case, wrapped a rubber band tightly around the case, propped it open with a 1" piece of rigid tubing, and tied a length of fishing line to the rigid tubing. I baited the thing about three times over the course of two days to get the mantis used to it and then when I caught it in there chowing I yanked the fishing like and snapped the case closed Wylie Coyote style. Worked like a champ.

SaltyCabbage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed him, mine seems very skidish, not sure I could get tweezers near him.

Mysis and chunks of lrs, it took a few days for the mantis to trust the tweezers but it comes out anytime there in the tank now.

Here’s mine and it’s completely focused on the food, toss a net underneath and it basically catches itself lol.

OP
OP
S

STLJam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysis and chunks of lrs, it took a few days for the mantis to trust the tweezers but it comes out anytime there in the tank now.

Here’s mine and it’s completely focused on the food, toss a net underneath and it basically catches itself lol.

Lol he is a fat little mantis!

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Mantis Shrimp not desirable to have in a reef tank?

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Mantis Shrimp not desirable to have in a reef tank?

Not particularly.

With larger animals they can defensively injure them and lead to infections, with smaller animals they will kill and eat them typically.

Even those that keep them as pets can't mix them with much, you get lucky with fast fish like damsels on occasion but if you're not planning the tank with a mantis in mind its probably really bad to keep in there.

They make amazing pets though, in their own little tank (as long as its glass, i've had them break those betta tanks before). Very interactive and if you can't keep it, many will happily buy it off you.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have incredible eye sight and intelligence. I believe their eye sight is one of the highest rated in all the animal kingdom. They see spectrums and things you can’t imagine

Also they are hunters. There are two types. Spearers and smashers. One has barbed spears on the front arms. The other has reinforced hammers.

The smashers of some species have the striking force of a bullet.

They will attack things without fear when they are hungry. Also they are like tiny engineers. They will rearrange corals and rocks and make a den. And they will decorate however they want

Fishermen call them thumbsplitters because they get caught in nets and strike the fingers of people trying to remove the fish, leading to nasty cuts or bruises

These are great pets for a dedicated tank. Super smart and will learn to recognize the owner

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How long have you had him and where did you get him? I would love to find another ciliata! Oh it’s not a ciliata, thought the eyes were but I see smashers. Still very pretty color though!

OP
OP
S

STLJam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you keeping him once you get him out?
I plan on giving him to someone local or the LFS.

24 hours on the hunt and still no capture. Do I need to refresh the food? Should I take off the cap to the bottle (I had poked a hole so snails and skunk shrimp wouldn't get it).

1000003069.jpg
1000003070.jpg

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw shoot I thought you were closer to California…

I’d change out the food! Maybe put a small snail in there? Also make the hole in the cap bigger because it might not smell the food through that tiny hole

SaltyCabbage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had him and where did you get him? I would love to find another ciliata! Oh it’s not a ciliata, thought the eyes were but I see smashers. Still very pretty color though!
Thanks! I’ve had em a little over 4 months and he came from Tampa Bay Saltwater. Shoot them a message and they’ll keep an eye out for P. ciliata for ya!

SaltyCabbage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on giving him to someone local or the LFS.

24 hours on the hunt and still no capture. Do I need to refresh the food? Should I take off the cap to the bottle (I had poked a hole so snails and skunk shrimp wouldn't get it).

1000003069.jpg
1000003070.jpg

I would take the cap off and refresh the food. Snails and shrimp will be curious so hopefully nothings in it when the mantis gets trapped.

I would also dim the lights for a few hours, mantis might be more motivated to come out if so.

OP
OP
S

STLJam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take the cap off and refresh the food. Snails and shrimp will be curious so hopefully nothings in it when the mantis gets trapped.

I would also dim the lights for a few hours, mantis might be more motivated to come out if so.
Done, but now he is taunting me, I see him all over the tank...

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back