Mattgsa 315 gallon build

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She thinks you know everything. That's good enough for now.

Enjoy that sentiment while it lasts, pretty soon she will be convinced that you don't know anything. Not just about aquariums, but that you just don't know anything. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She thinks you know everything. That's good enough for now.

Enjoy that sentiment while it lasts, pretty soon she will be convinced that you don't know anything. Not just about aquariums, but that you just don't know anything. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Oh, I'm sure the day is not far off. They get their brains from their Mom, I'm at a clear disadvantage. Their mom had a full-time job with four kids and was taking a full course load in pre-med. She carried a 4.0.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, back to my aquarium. I think I have finally nailed down the problem I was having with Salinity. Despite all my efforts to keep the water level constant in the sump, it continued rising along with salinity. It was driving me nuts. Finally, I turned off everything that adds water to the system and started testing them one at a time. It turns out the intake for the waste line on my auto water change was clogged. I probably would have found it sooner if not for the new job sucking up all my free time.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the long delay in posting updates. Unfortunately, this is not a good one. We needed to sell the house to pursue other endeavors and therefore we had to move the tank.
71105502247__8D27D5F9-E6C8-49EC-B91A-2D3EA1E86E5C.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg
IMG_0050.jpg

Well the move itself was rather uneventful we go the corals and fish setup in bins with some light while I finished setting up the tank.
IMG_0055.jpg

tank.jpg

The Acros decided they didn't want to move and they all RTN'ed overnight. I still have several monties and gonis granted a couple of the gonies don't look happy, and I lost one fish due to a rock slide.
I still have to set up all the automation again, along with the auto water change.
But here's what gets me: we only rent this house and plan to move again in a year or two. Should I get more corals only to risk losing thing them again in a year or so?

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the long delay in posting updates. Unfortunately, this is not a good one. We needed to sell the house to pursue other endeavors and therefore we had to move the tank.
71105502247__8D27D5F9-E6C8-49EC-B91A-2D3EA1E86E5C.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg
IMG_0050.jpg

Well the move itself was rather uneventful we go the corals and fish setup in bins with some light while I finished setting up the tank.
IMG_0055.jpg

tank.jpg

The Acros decided they didn't want to move and they all RTN'ed overnight. I still have several monties and gonis granted a couple of the gonies don't look happy, and I lost one fish due to a rock slide.
I still have to set up all the automation again, along with the auto water change.
But here's what gets me: we only rent this house and plan to move again in a year or two. Should I get more corals only to risk losing thing them again in a year or so?
I wouldn’t, save your $$ for when you get settled in longer term.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I guess the good news is since I don't have any corals left to protect. I will take this time to nuke the tank with Fluconazole and finally do away with this bryopsis.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I guess the good news is since I don't have any corals left to protect. I will take this time to nuke the tank with Fluconazole and finally do away with this bryopsis.
Sorry you had to make the move. Dreading that eventuality. Nuke the bryopsis good.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aright since I moved and lost most of my corals, I have lost a lot of my enthusiasm, so I have not touched the tank. It has been largely ignored. I don't have a running skimmer or ATO, lets not event talk about flow. On top of that my RODI is running at like 5 tds. The sad part of this is my corals are doing great. They are growing a lot faster than they ever did when I was trying to maintain all the levels.
Next month I'm going to move the tank again back to the old house. Long story short we tried to sell the house and didn't get a single offer. So, we are going to move back and just fix the things we didn't like about the house. The good news is the wife has approved me building a fish room in the garage, and the tank will be an in-wall display. My new fish room will be 10'-17'. I will have a lot more room than before. So, I'm going to take the sump out from under the tank and it will have its own stand. I will also have room for smaller tanks. I'm getting excited about this.

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just skimmed and that's quite the rollercoaster. I lived in the Bay Area for 6 years and managed to get a job I could take remote to finally get back out of CA. I don't think I could ever go back tbh, when 6 figures isn't enough to own or even do more than barely scrape by it's time to bounce lol being near my older family members back in the midwest was the final nail in the coffin for my time in California.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just skimmed and that's quite the rollercoaster. I lived in the Bay Area for 6 years and managed to get a job I could take remote to finally get back out of CA. I don't think I could ever go back tbh, when 6 figures isn't enough to own or even do more than barely scrape by it's time to bounce lol being near my older family members back in the midwest was the final nail in the coffin for my time in California.
I'm not sure how anyone makes enough money to afford a decent house in CA, it's almost as bad as Hawaii.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back