Max return pump for 20g AIO

DaprDon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to increase flow in my 20-gallon reef. Go from 251 gph stock return with a flare return nozzle, to a (Y) double (2) Random flow nozzles. Would I run into problems putting a Sicce 1.5 return in that adjusts up to 357gph?

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of drain design are you using and what is the diameter of your drain pipe(s)? As long as you are using 3/4 inch or larger diameter drain pipe with full siphon (about 400gph) you should be fine. But note that with your new design the flow through each nozzle will be less than what you are currently getting out of the single nozzle, though you will be able to disperse it better. If you are looking for more flow in the DT for corals, you might be better off with a powerhead in the DT.

cbranin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do it, just buy a low flow powerhead.
More turnover rate ≠ better filtration. If you really want to upgrade the return, I’d go with a DC pump like AI axis or something

OP
OP
DaprDon

DaprDon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of drain design are you using and what is the diameter of your drain pipe(s)? As long as you are using 3/4 inch or larger diameter drain pipe with full siphon (about 400gph) you should be fine. But note that with your new design the flow through each nozzle will be less than what you are currently getting out of the single nozzle, though you will be able to disperse it better. If you are looking for more flow in the DT for corals, you might be better off with a powerhead in the DT.
Have a power head, I want to eliminate ( too strong) going to 2 nozzles is why I want more gph. It is a 3 chamber All-in-One filter on a 20g JBJ rimless.

OP
OP
DaprDon

DaprDon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to increase flow in my 20-gallon reef. Go from 251 gph stock return with a flare return nozzle, to a (Y) double (2) Random flow nozzles. Would I run into problems putting a Sicce 1.5 return in that adjusts up to 357gph?
This pump I'm considering can be dialed toast lower gph.

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pump I'm considering can be dialed toast lower gph.
I don’t see a problem with it since you can adjust the flow rate to match the drain/overflow capacity. Without knowing the pipe diameter of your drain or flow rate of the all-in-one filter I can’t really tell you if you would be wasting your money though. Worst case scenario you have to dial the new pump back so far that it is only matching what your old pump already provided. Sorry I don’t know anything about how your specific all-in-one is designed.

I would still suggest dialing in your current with a powerhead in the tank rather than messing with the return in an all-in-one design so specific. Can you get a smaller powerhead or an adjustable flow type? Jebao makes some decent adjustable wave makers at a very reasonable price point. I have one in my 120g that has been going strong for about 5 years.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back