Media reactors: in sump vs hanging/outside of sump

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m doing detailed planning on my new Waterbox 130 build and wanted to see how most people are setting up their media reactors. I plan on installing a manifold for three reactors and will run an algae, carbon, and GFO reactors. I have the Tunze algae reactor in the mail and planning on Aquamaxx medium fluidized reactors. Given the location of the tank, I can plumb it so all the reactors actual location is outside hanging in the garage or I can mount them inside the sand or should have room to let them sit in the sump (given the Aquamaxx reactors are smaller in size and the freed up space of not using the ATO reservoir for placing the algae reactor). Any preferences here? Was originally thinking of keeping them in the garage but then got a little paranoid about some issue with them that could drain the tank which lead to the thought of keeping them in the sump to avoid this issue.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are usually hung above my sump, so if they were to leak, most of the water would fall back into the sump. That being said, before you place them, try and change them out a few times in a row. There's nothing worse then wrestling with the nut/wrench to unscrew a media reactor in an awkward position or in a situation where you have to disconnect a feeder pump/manifold to perform maintenance tasks.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always prefer reactors in the sump. I don’t know how many times I thought a reactor was sealed only to come back an hour later and find a pool of water on the floor because a tiny piece of GFO was stuck in the lid seal.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always prefer reactors in the sump. I don’t know how many times I thought a reactor was sealed only to come back an hour later and find a pool of water on the floor because a tiny piece of GFO was stuck in the lid seal.
How do you usually plumb the exit drain? Just a pipe or hose straight down into the same compartment?

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are usually hung above my sump, so if they were to leak, most of the water would fall back into the sump. That being said, before you place them, try and change them out a few times in a row. There's nothing worse then wrestling with the nut/wrench to unscrew a media reactor in an awkward position or in a situation where you have to disconnect a feeder pump/manifold to perform maintenance tasks.
Yep I plan on doing this. I am still debating if I want to do the Aquamaxx or BRS reactors but definitely plan on spending quite some time with getting the sump and wiring set up cleanly before putting water into the tank.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you usually plumb the exit drain? Just a pipe or hose straight down into the same compartment?
Yep.
I honestly don't think the re circulation is a big deal. There is enough flow through the reactors and sump that they still perform well. you could always run the hose to a later chamber but if you are running a manifold I really don't think this will matter.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you put them in the most convenient spot.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another factor to consider when making your decision on what reactor and what location, is the ease of removal for the rinsing of new media like carbon or GFO.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have pictures of there reactor placements?

135reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed new short carbon reactor this weekend over the sump.

I’m not a huge fan of in sump due to the buildup on the containers, but like over the sump for dry floors.
41E1A9F8-1036-4573-B7E6-E2F0FCD0E6ED.jpeg

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! DId you use the murlock tubing it come with?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hang the BRS shorty reactor over my sump as well. It’s fed by an Innovative Marine 326 gph Mighty Jet DC pump.

37E01E87-A026-40A0-9D81-098701517B7C.jpeg

3E9E749D-9EDA-4E0F-9F51-6EA990D446B5.jpeg

Last edited:

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I just replaced the same temp controller this weekend as well.

Love the Ranco... it does the heany lifting and I use my Apex as the failsafe, hopefully to preserve the life of the relay outlets on the EB832.

135reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Ranco... it does the heany lifting and I use my Apex as the failsafe, hopefully to preserve the life of the relay outlets on the EB832.
Just switched to a Baylite 2-Stage. The Ranco was bullet proof, but my temp swing was bigger than I wanted. The Baylite gives me a little better resolution so far.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just switched to a Baylite 2-Stage. The Ranco was bullet proof, but my temp swing was bigger than I wanted. The Baylite gives me a little better resolution so far.

Aggred, Baylite is the best temp controller out there right now. I have tried most others and they cannot detect 0.1F changes like Bayite is capable of.

135reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggred, Baylite is the best temp controller out there right now. I have tried most others and they cannot detect 0.1F changes like Bayite is capable of.
I’ve found the Baylite to be very accurate to my Apex probe out of the box. For the price, I’ll have a backup on the shelf next to the backup heaters.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found the Baylite to be very accurate to my Apex probe out of the box. For the price, I’ll have a backup on the shelf next to the backup heaters.

Yup same here!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back