Refugium in sump

kraels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask a question about a Refugium made in the sump.
I currently have the overflow from the tank that goes to feed a DIY algae reactor (chaetomorpha) inside the sump, from there it overflows through holes and goes into the middle part of the sump where I have skimmer and calcium reactor, after that I have another compartment with the return pump.
If I were to make a refugium instead of the reactor, what are the chances that any future organisms created in the refugium would make it to the mail tank alive, considering that in addition to the rise there is the skimmer and the reactor pump? Maybe I can move things differently? Would you give me any suggestions?

I already know that the best alternative is to have a tank next to or a little bit above the main one, the only thing is that I was not really attracted to the idea of having another tank nearby.

Thanks in advance

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask a question about a Refugium made in the sump.
I currently have the overflow from the tank that goes to feed a DIY algae reactor (chaetomorpha) inside the sump, from there it overflows through holes and goes into the middle part of the sump where I have skimmer and calcium reactor, after that I have another compartment with the return pump.
If I were to make a refugium instead of the reactor, what are the chances that any future organisms created in the refugium would make it to the mail tank alive, considering that in addition to the rise there is the skimmer and the reactor pump? Maybe I can move things differently? Would you give me any suggestions?

I already know that the best alternative is to have a tank next to or a little bit above the main one, the only thing is that I was not really attracted to the idea of having another tank nearby.

Thanks in advance
Pictures are always welcome. I use a HOB refugium with good results. Your zooplankton are quite hardy and will populate the main tank if they have a safe space to breed.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I see a picture of your refugium?
IMG_0521.jpeg

It hangs on to my trigger sump. I bought a skimmer that was too big

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 77 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back