Medications to keep on hand

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wanting to know what meds to keep on hand. And found this thread. Being that it is a little old, I wondered if the list is still the same or has it evolved since? Thanks

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add the following:

Antibiotics: Cirprofloxacin. To be used as a bath.

Vitamins: Beta Glucan. Greatly enhances a fish's immune system.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWM says that soaking food in Selcon Concentrate one day a week is enough to give a good boost to the fishes’ immune system. Would that be enough though?

Are there any downsides to giving fish medicated food on a daily or at least a frequent basis?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWM says that soaking food in Selcon Concentrate one day a week is enough to give a good boost to the fishes’ immune system. Would that be enough though?

Are there any downsides to giving fish medicated food on a daily or at least a frequent basis?
Yep. The body builds up a sort of immunity to the meds and then when you need them they can be ineffective.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are treating a sick or injured fish, sure. Like for a fish that's injured or suffering from HLLE, lympho, etc. Then a daily boost is awesome for a fish's immune system.

But if they are getting a well rounded mix of foods it's probably not necessary. But adding a small amount won't hurt, especially if you are keeping fish known to have nutrition issues i.e. fast metabolisms, etc. like anthias.

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use coppersafe with a conditioner/dechlorinator?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use coppersafe with a conditioner/dechlorinator?
Yes. You can use something like Prime with any "Chelated" copper like Copper Power or Coppersafe.

But, No you cannot use Prime with "Ionic" coppers like Cupramine or Brightwells.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. You can use something like Prime with any "Chelated" copper like Copper Power or Coppersafe.

But, No you cannot use Prime with "Ionic" coppers like Cupramine or Brightwells.

Really? I was using prime but stopped after reading this from humblefish about his procedure:

In Scenario 1, performing water changes is your best option for controlling ammonia. You can also use an ammonia reducer such as Amquel or Prime provided no medications are present in the water. Copper, in particular, can be converted from a stable form to a more toxic form when mixed with an ammonia reducer. If you need to condition tap water, do so 48 hours prior to dosing copper.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I was using prime but stopped after reading this from humblefish about his procedure:

In Scenario 1, performing water changes is your best option for controlling ammonia. You can also use an ammonia reducer such as Amquel or Prime provided no medications are present in the water. Copper, in particular, can be converted from a stable form to a more toxic form when mixed with an ammonia reducer. If you need to condition tap water, do so 48 hours prior to dosing copper.
There's been an update to that info: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/psa-prime-safe-to-use-with-copper-power.653521/

Reef Pro

Reef Pro Complete --> Reefprostore.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish @4FordFamily @Big G I want to dose Erythromycin for an eye infection however I would prefer not to dose my entire QT system... would there be an effective method to use this drug in a bath? Or is there another antibiotic you would recommend as a bath to treat for an eye infection. Thank you

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Erythromycin is "the" go to for eye infections. Generally speaking, most antibiotics can be used in a 30 minute bath at double dosage. Remember to adjust for the volume of water. Most antibiotics work best when absorbed through the skin of the fish. But of course your mileage can vary as you never know an individual fish's reaction can be to any treatment.
A doubled plastic bag filled with tank water, floating in the QT can make a nice bath environment as it will keep the temp the same.

Reef Pro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish @4FordFamily @Big G if mixing Kanaplex, metroplex and focus as the binder with frozen food, would any of these drugs (assuming the Kanaplex as it is an antibiotic) have any negative effect on the biological filter?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wide spectrum antibiotics like Kanamycin work best absorbed through the skin. And yes, they can effect the bio-filter so recommend dosing into the water in a QT.

Reef Pro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wide spectrum antibiotics like Kanamycin work best absorbed through the skin. And yes, they can effect the bio-filter so recommend dosing into the water in a QT.
for internal worms and pathogens my best bet is just sticking to the metro with the focus and leaving out the Kanaplex, is that what you are recommending?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for internal worms and pathogens my best bet is just sticking to the metro with the focus and leaving out the Kanaplex, is that what you are recommending?
Prefer to use General Cure + food + Focus fed directly to the gut. GC has both prazi + metro. Together they cover a large range of internal parasites and worms.

Reef Pro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prefer to use General Cure + food + Focus fed directly to the gut. GC has both prazi + metro. Together they cover a large range of internal parasites and worms.
does general cure effect the biological filter in anyway when mixed with the food?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does general cure effect the biological filter in anyway when mixed with the food?
It can if the feeding process is messy. Feeding small amounts, siphoning out (turkey baster works great) the uneaten bits usually works really well. Prazi won't bother much and the small amount of metro, if mostly removed is no problem. Very commonly medicated food used in reef tanks.

Reef Pro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can if the feeding process is messy. Feeding small amounts, siphoning out (turkey baster works great) the uneaten bits usually works really well. Prazi won't bother much and the small amount of metro, if mostly removed is no problem. Very commonly medicated food used in reef tanks.
what is the ratio of general cure to food you recommend?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back