Medications to keep on hand

Reef Pro

Reef Pro Complete --> Reefprostore.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can if the feeding process is messy. Feeding small amounts, siphoning out (turkey baster works great) the uneaten bits usually works really well. Prazi won't bother much and the small amount of metro, if mostly removed is no problem. Very commonly medicated food used in reef tanks.
in your experience when dosing metro directly to a QT does it effect the biological? Trying to cover all my bases in terms of brook and uromena but don't want to destroy by biological.... any thoughts?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question. Here's my usual food mix: A variety of 6-8 frozen fish cubes placed into a bowl in the fridge to "slump." Mix together and then strain off the excess liquid as it will spike your nitrates and phosphates. Add 1 scoop of Focus and 1 scoop of GC, then mix. Can add a bit of RODI or tank water to get the consistency you want to work with. The mix will remain good in the fridge for a few days. Can feed the mix twice a day for 20-30 days as necessary to relieve symptoms.

Reef Pro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question. Here's my usual food mix: A variety of 6-8 frozen fish cubes placed into a bowl in the fridge to "slump." Mix together and then strain off the excess liquid as it will spike your nitrates and phosphates. Add 1 scoop of Focus and 1 scoop of GC, then mix. Can add a bit of RODI or tank water to get the consistency you want to work with. The mix will remain good in the fridge for a few days. Can feed the mix twice a day for 20-30 days as necessary to relieve symptoms.
Awesome perfect, and you don’t think that will cause any problem with the biological correct?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in your experience when dosing metro directly to a QT does it effect the biological? Trying to cover all my bases in terms of brook and uromena but don't want to destroy by biological.... any thoughts?
Pretty common to dose the "Trifecta" of Kanaplex + Furan2 + Metro into QTs to fight bacterial infections.

If the QT has a good biofilter setup: HOB with foam pad and a mesh bag of ceramic media like Matrix or BioMax and a foam bubble filter, with all of the foam pads and media having been soaked in something like BioSpira, etc. or having been soaking in your sump for 30 days or so, the QT's biofilter won't be bothered by dosing the meds or copper.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome perfect, and you don’t think that will cause any problem with the biological correct?
Nope. No worries as long as you are careful with the feeding process. Been doing it for years. ;)

Reef Pro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. No worries as long as you are careful with the feeding process. Been doing it for years. ;)
when using the general cure with wrasse... as they are sensitive to praziquantel.... any negative effects?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when using the general cure with wrasse... as they are sensitive to praziquantel.... any negative effects?

Praziquantel is usually fine with fish. The primary difficulty is when it is used in the form of PraziPro. This liquid form uses a chemical, Oxybispropanol, to keep the prazi in solution. Oxybis uses oxygen from the water column sometimes to the point where the fish need additional O2 added to the tank. That being said, adding additional O2 is almost always suggested when adding any meds/treatments to a tank. But with using a powder form, like GC or pure praziquantel it's not a problem.

Reef Pro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Praziquantel is usually fine with fish. The primary difficulty is when it is used in the form of PraziPro. This liquid form uses a chemical, Oxybispropanol, to keep the prazi in solution. Oxybis uses oxygen from the water column sometimes to the point where the fish need additional O2 added to the tank. That being said, adding additional O2 is almost always suggested when adding any meds/treatments to a tank. But with using a powder form, like GC or pure praziquantel it's not a problem.
Appreciate it! Thanks again!

Reef Pro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Big G when you dose metroplex what is your regiment? I know @Humblefish recommends pure metronitazole powder every 48 hrs for 10-14 days with 25% water changes in between each treatment... should I follow this same procedure when dosing with metroplex ? Thanks again for everything

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the recommended 2 scoops of Metroplex per 10 gallon of tank water every 2 days for 2-3 weeks for the full dose. Can ramp up if desired by starting with 1 scoop for a couple of dosings. Metroplex is about 70% pure.

Reef Pro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the recommended 2 scoops of Metroplex per 10 gallon of tank water every 2 days for 2-3 weeks for the full dose. Can ramp up if desired by starting with 1 scoop for a couple of dosings. Metroplex is about 70% pure.
would 25% water changes be necessary in-between dosages? or could it go without ?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to keep the water quality up. While Metronidazole is not hard on a tank's bio filter, it is none the less an anti protozoan and anti bacterial. So the tank needs some help with the growing fish waste and their by products.

More info on Metronidazole: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Metronidazole

Reef Pro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple new fish in QT- wanting to do the focus/general cure feeding but it seems general cure is out of stock everywhere. Any alternatives?
Thanks

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple new fish in QT- wanting to do the focus/general cure feeding but it seems general cure is out of stock everywhere. Any alternatives?
Thanks
AAP has it in stock and usually ship quickly:

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AAP has it in stock and usually ship quickly:

thanks but they are out of stock too. They only have the large tub of general cure for over $100!! all I need is the small 10 pack

SpecificGravity120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Chloroquine becoming available again?
If you have a supply on hand, do you think it would be a good idea to conserve it for difficult infections, and use other treatments first?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back