Melanurus initial phase to terminal phase

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a small melanurus with the colorations of an initial phase. Its very small, maybe 1.5”.

I assumed it would change to terminal phase given time but now I realize I may be incorrect?

How does this actually work? I have no idea if my wrasse is a juv male or juv female.

Looks like this picture:

IMG_6674.jpeg

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t matter what sex you bought. Given enough time it will become a male. Took my juvi around a year to start showing terminal phase colors. Unfortunately it found a crack in my lid and found the floor multiple times until it jumped when no one was home to save it!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All small juveniles are female.

1.5" is really small. From memory, mine took more than a year (maybe longer) and was probably closer to 2 - 2 1/2" when I got it in the mail.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back