Method for Quickly Catching Difficult Fish Out of a Large Reef Tank with a Net

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several techniques for catching a fish out of a reef tank. None of them are perfect or work equally for all fish, and many require time and patience. I have a 330 gallon mixed reef that's about 16 months old. In the past year, there have been a couple occasions where I've needed to catch a fish more quickly than was possible with conventional methods.

I was taught a method by @Csreef that has saved me twice in otherwise frustrating situations. I have not seen this technique written about elsewhere and @GBRsouth pointed out it may be worthwhile to share. In both cases, the desired fish were captured in under thirty minutes after setup, and the whole procedure with two people took under an hour.

1650769667518.png

On the first occasion, a yellow tang decided he no longer wanted to get along with a gem after several months of peace in the same system. In my case, these tangs were not amenable to a fish trap or other methods I tried, and not separating this fish would mean the gem would not survive.

1650768207453.png

In the second case, I attempted to introduce a large Copperband butterfly, but several of the tangs were aggressive despite multiple methods to reduce the aggression. This particular butterfly is eating frozen well, eats aptasia, and is a fish I wanted to add. In order to attempt to re-establish a pecking order in the system and allow the butterfly to acclimate, I needed to remove a group of four tangs. Again, not practical to catch all these fish using more conventional methods for my particular fish with the desired timeline.

1650768445349.png

The goal of the technique is to group the fish in an area of the system where they will be easier to net out of the system. This is a two person job. First step is to determine where you want to group the fish. In my system, the front right of the display is the most open. Next, you need a few things: plastic grocery bags, some rocks, and some nets.

Once that is decided, all flow in the system is shut off. The bags are placed systematically to progressively flush the fish to the desired location. The bags are weighed down with the rocks. The bags serve two functions. They are a free form space occupier and secondly fish are scared of them and avoid them.

1650768247222.png

In my case, I begin in the back and on the left and progressively work toward the right. Once the fish are in the correct location, I use some egg crate as a divider to create a more of a structured divider. This is a versatile method, but the specifics are system dependent.

1650768262741.png

Now it's time to catch the fish. This is where it helps the most to have two people. Both people have nets, and one guides the fish to the very corner while the other nets them out.

1650768318330.png

This is by no means the best method to catch fish in every particular situation or system. It's important to exercise care with the aquascape. I have created a couple of frags in the process and needed to glue some colonies back into place, but overall minimal damage, and well worth the effectiveness of the technique for my situations.

In the case of a large system, with a need for quick results, and a fish not amenable to other methods of rapid capture, this is an option to consider.

BW5A3126-2.jpg
1650768466918.png

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sdreef thank you so much for posting this! I'm sure this will help save the lives of so many fish that would have otherwise died due to aggression!

As I said somewhere else, this gets you out of me naming your unnamed acros with horrible names! Although we both know it's going burn you not knowing the name I already have lined up for the yellow one!;) What could it be? What COULD it be.......!?!!

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sdreef thank you so much for posting this! I'm sure this will help save the lives of so many fish that would have otherwise died due to aggression!

As I said somewhere else, this gets you out of me naming your unnamed acros with horrible names! Although we both know it's going burn you not knowing the name I already have lined up for the yellow one!;) What could it be? What COULD it be.......!?!!

Hahaha, I'll have to let the knowledge that I'm helping other be my reward. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those plastic bag barriers remind me of the bubble nets whales employ to round up sardines, etc.:

I enjoyed the video, thank you for sharing. Similar principle I suppose although the whales are definitely more elegant about it :)

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The strange thing is I've never seen my fish be afraid of bubbles. I'd love to think setting up some bubble walls would help me catch them but I don't think it's going to work.

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good tip: using plastic bags to "intimidate" fish into moving to desired areas, thanks for sharing!

Thanks, the bags physically limit where the fish can go. Since they avoid the bags, it also helps corral them in a desired spot more amenable to capture.

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several techniques for catching a fish out of a reef tank. None of them are perfect or work equally for all fish, and many require time and patience. I have a 330 gallon mixed reef that's about 16 months old. In the past year, there have been a couple occasions where I've needed to catch a fish more quickly than was possible with conventional methods.

I was taught a method by @Csreef that has saved me twice in otherwise frustrating situations. I have not seen this technique written about elsewhere and @GBRsouth pointed out it may be worthwhile to share. In both cases, the desired fish were captured in under thirty minutes after setup, and the whole procedure with two people took under an hour.

1650769667518.png

On the first occasion, a yellow tang decided he no longer wanted to get along with a gem after several months of peace in the same system. In my case, these tangs were not amenable to a fish trap or other methods I tried, and not separating this fish would mean the gem would not survive.

1650768207453.png

In the second case, I attempted to introduce a large Copperband butterfly, but several of the tangs were aggressive despite multiple methods to reduce the aggression. This particular butterfly is eating frozen well, eats aptasia, and is a fish I wanted to add. In order to attempt to re-establish a pecking order in the system and allow the butterfly to acclimate, I needed to remove a group of four tangs. Again, not practical to catch all these fish using more conventional methods for my particular fish with the desired timeline.

1650768445349.png

The goal of the technique is to group the fish in an area of the system where they will be easier to net out of the system. This is a two person job. First step is to determine where you want to group the fish. In my system, the front right of the display is the most open. Next, you need a few things: plastic grocery bags, some rocks, and some nets.

Once that is decided, all flow in the system is shut off. The bags are placed systematically to progressively flush the fish to the desired location. The bags are weighed down with the rocks. The bags serve two functions. They are a free form space occupier and secondly fish are scared of them and avoid them.

1650768247222.png

In my case, I begin in the back and on the left and progressively work toward the right. Once the fish are in the correct location, I use some egg crate as a divider to create a more of a structured divider. This is a versatile method, but the specifics are system dependent.

1650768262741.png

Now it's time to catch the fish. This is where it helps the most to have two people. Both people have nets, and one guides the fish to the very corner while the other nets them out.

1650768318330.png

This is by no means the best method to catch fish in every particular situation or system. It's important to exercise care with the aquascape. I have created a couple of frags in the process and needed to glue some colonies back into place, but overall minimal damage, and well worth the effectiveness of the technique for my situations.

In the case of a large system, with a need for quick results, and a fish not amenable to other methods of rapid capture, this is an option to consider.

BW5A3126-2.jpg
1650768466918.png
very interesting method, thanks for the post.

My method is simpler and requires only me to manage.
  • Leave a net in the tank for a while for the fish to get used to its presence and start swimming closer, typically a couple hours, perhaps the better part of a day.
  • Once the fish have calmed down, get a cube of frozen food (which will float), grab the net, and drop it in.
  • Hold the net in the water against the current from a return or power head which blows the net open and pushes the food cube in toward the back.
  • Eventually, the fish smell the food and venture close enough to the opening that when the right culprit gets near... gotcha!
I've caught an Imperator Angel and Melanarus Wrasse in this way, and if there's ever been a wiley, skittish fish to catch, a Wrasse ranks right up there.

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very interesting method, thanks for the post.

My method is simpler and requires only me to manage.
  • Leave a net in the tank for a while for the fish to get used to its presence and start swimming closer, typically a couple hours, perhaps the better part of a day.
  • Once the fish have calmed down, get a cube of frozen food (which will float), grab the net, and drop it in.
  • Hold the net in the water against the current from a return or power head which blows the net open and pushes the food cube in toward the back.
  • Eventually, the fish smell the food and venture close enough to the opening that when the right culprit gets near... gotcha!
I've caught an Imperator Angel and Melanarus Wrasse in this way, and if there's ever been a wiley, skittish fish to catch, a Wrasse ranks right up there.

Thanks, that's sort of the point of this is that if you don't want or have time to wait part of a day or shouldn't for some reason. I could decide now that I want catch a fish in the tank, any fish, and do it in the next hour without notable damage to the reef.

To be clear, I don't use this technique most of the time. In smaller tanks you can reduce the water volume, and in my tank, most often I can use a fish trap. Some fish are also very simple to catch at night while they sleep. I haven't used your technique but I'm sure it can effective as you mention. In other words, there are better techniques for many situations that can be accomplished by a single person.

With that said, if you need to get a fish out immediately for any reason in a larger reef, this is a way you can accomplish that. It's not specific to fish behavior when speed is the priority in a larger tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back