Micro and nano bubble tank treatment

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading this quite a lot and was thinking to give it a shot.

I managed to find limewood airstone , just need to find airtube and airpump.

I don't currently have a refugium in my sump. Do I need filter sock in my overflow pipe?

@Squamosa do you run fuge in your sump?

@Christina what was your No3 level before nano scrubbing? I am currently at 80 ppm and been dosing NoPox daily.

Zachman99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Christina what was your No3 level before nano scrubbing? I am currently at 80 ppm and been dosing NoPox daily.[/QUOTE]

The no3 we had before the bubbles fluctuated with water changes between 64 and 36 on the Red Sea test kit. We are no running about 4... That's right 4. Lowest I've ever had and I'm kinda scared lol

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use filter socks!

It's not a fuge per se but I have an area where I grow some Caulerpa, if i'm lucky, because my nutrients are very low!

I don’t run refugium, do you think i'll bump into trouble? One concern is the micro bubbles will be trapped in the DT for a long long time and that's ugly.

I am thinking of using limewood airstone.

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Christina what was your No3 level before nano scrubbing? I am currently at 80 ppm and been dosing NoPox daily.

That's just marvelous!

The no3 we had before the bubbles fluctuated with water changes between 64 and 36 on the Red Sea test kit. We are no running about 4... That's right 4. Lowest I've ever had and I'm kinda scared lol[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
Squamosa

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t run refugium, do you think i'll bump into trouble? One concern is the micro bubbles will be trapped in the DT for a long long time and that's ugly.

I am thinking of using limewood airstone.
No, I don't think you need a fuge, IMO.

My lights turn on a half hour after the bubbling has stopped, besides some bubbles on the rocks, you'd never know the air was on for 8 hours :)

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the guideline for the size of air pump in terms of the output in L/hour?

@Squamosa how big is your tank and what's the output of your air pump?

My biggest concern, which I can already picture LOL pardon my pessimistic. . Waking up to a tank full of dead fishes and corals .....

OP
OP
Squamosa

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the guideline for the size of air pump in terms of the output in L/hour?

@Squamosa how big is your tank and what's the output of your air pump?

My biggest concern, which I can already picture LOL pardon my pessimistic. . Waking up to a tank full of dead fishes and corals .....
The more air pumping from the wood block the better and as it is a fine bubble you will need some air pressure to achieve this!

My tank is only a 4 x 2.5 x 2.5 but with sump and frag tank, it levels out at ~600L and I use a Shego air pump rated at ~3.5 psi

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! And correct me if am wrong, this whole idea about bubbles and salt creep won't be an issue here?

The justification behind it is that the bubbles are so small, measured at 2 micron or less, hence it doesn't pop up on the surface as how regular bubbles do? They tend stay longer in the water column and eventually get saturated in the water column itself?

@Squamosa you notice a stable good pH in your tank? Fish are all healthy & look more colourful? Corals are growing better? Water are clearer? Is your skimmer pulling out more gunk with this nano scrubbing technique here?

I guess the reason i ask, if you scrub, which makes the water clearer, no3 lower , surely they don't just gone by bubbles, there must be an export process to remove those unwanted stuff from the water column (i.e. Protein Skimmer).

OP
OP
Squamosa

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! And correct me if am wrong, this whole idea about bubbles and salt creep won't be an issue here?

The justification behind it is that the bubbles are so small, measured at 2 micron or less, hence it doesn't pop up on the surface as how regular bubbles do? They tend stay longer in the water column and eventually get saturated in the water column itself?
Yes, if you could only produce nano-sized bubbles, but with the crude air stone method, you will also get larger bubbles that may give you salt creep, but in my DT over the course of nearly a month now, I've had to clean my light lenses once (only because I'm obsessive), otherwise I have not noticed anything else. Most of the larger bubbles produced, stay in the sump and are not sucked into the DT, so they pop there, where the salt creep and splash can be managed :)

OP
OP
Squamosa

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Squamosa you notice a stable good pH in your tank? Fish are all healthy & look more colourful? Corals are growing better? Water are clearer? Is your skimmer pulling out more gunk with this nano scrubbing technique here?
Yes to all the above except that I don't measure the pH, but I would assume that it must be more stable as I'm also driving off CO2, as I use a calcium reactor.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my idea is bubbling won't cause stat significant growth advantage over non bubbling it would be neat to see any formal studies on the difference.

I would put feed and protein access far ahead of bubbling vs non bubbling for increasing growth rates. My take is the practice of bubbling is neutral overall even considering effects on some params

OP
OP
Squamosa

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
formal studies on the difference
You won't see any formal studies, as some entity would have to fund it! Maybe one day when my lab is quiet and I have a spare few weeks, I might decide to go there :)

You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion and after employing all the methodologies of keeping pristine nutrient free water, with obsessive feeding in both nutrients and trace elements, I noticed results that ordinarily would have taken several weeks, if not months to achieve, in just the space of a few days.

My system has never looked/grown better and I believe the bubbles have only added to this positive aspect.

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Squamosa you are in WA ?

LOL ... there seems to be less interest here in southern hemisphere about bubbling hey?

OP
OP
Squamosa

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Squamosa you are in WA ?

LOL ... there seems to be less interest here in southern hemisphere about bubbling hey?
Yes, I'm in Western Australia :)

There's less interest everywhere, hence the few comments for this thread!

It's weird though, because for a minimal cost and absolutely no detriment to your livestock you could have fantastic results in a few days!

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'm in Western Australia :) There's less interest everywhere, hence the few comments for this thread! It's weird though, because for a minimal cost and absolutely no detriment to your livestock you could have fantastic results in a few days!

I'm in NSW here :)

Out of curiosity, are you using limewood airstone for this nano bubbles diffuser? My LFS got limewood air branded AquaMedic.

Apology if you've mentioned it in your previous post.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 26.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back