OP
Squamosa

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect!!

We can't seem to get the AquaMedic blocks here in Perth.

I'm using another cheapo limewood block but we've also made blocks out of hardwood (Jarrah) and they work as well, if not better!

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect!!

We can't seem to get the AquaMedic blocks here in Perth.

I'm using another cheapo limewood block but we've also made blocks out of hardwood (Jarrah) and they work as well, if not better!

I'm having a discussion with Elegant Corals LLC if refugium is required ... I'll keep this thread posted for any update ..

Scotty LaBeouf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I always had a feeling this was a good idea! I used to put my circulation pump at the top of the tank every once in a while cus I liked the way it looked, like waves breaking on the surface of a reef. Im going upstairs and setting this up right now!

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll play. And have just the tank for it on my system. Loads of derbesia (I think. Whatever it is, it won't go away. I'm trying to get rid of it without using gfo.)
Started messing around with this yesterday. Wish I had taken pics before I started. I'm going to go get a couple right now. Will post if I get positive results.

Zachman99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liquid carbon dose and have never been able to register a reading on a commercial test kit :)
It's a big drop for me. I just run a fuge and a little carbon (1cup for 280 system gallons) I've been dosing nopox for about 4 months too. Still had nitrates at the highest the test kit could go. It wasn't until we started the bubbles that I saw a drop in nitrates. Now I can drop the dose of nopox by running an air pump for 8 hours a day :)

Zachman99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liquid carbon dose and have never been able to register a reading on a commercial test kit :)
It's a big drop for me. I just run a fuge and a little carbon (1cup for 280 system gallons) I've been dosing nopox for about 4 months too. Still had nitrates at the highest the test kit could go. It wasn't until we started the bubbles that I saw a drop in nitrates. Now I can drop the dose of nopox by running an air pump for 8 hours a day :)

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What's the science/logical behind this? Does the air bubbles support the grow of anaerobic bacteria that consume Nitrate and converts it to Nitrogen gas? Or perhaps nothing to do with the bacteria: the bubbles bring the gunk to the surface then overflow down to sump where they're processed via skimmer?

Zachman99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no scientist, just a simple taco bender, but I was assuming the latter part. Bubbles bring the stuff to the surface. Kinda seems like your turning your whole tank into a giant skimmer. Maybe I just have a crappy skimmer and this just aides it I'm not sure.

OP
OP
Squamosa

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures tell a thousand words, so here's some growth during the bubble treatment :)

Pink frag.jpg

Millipora bubbles.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The method certainly does not change or kill natural sponge growth on live rock I have a few different types as hitchhikers. The larger decorative sponges sold as frags not sure

Zachman99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha anyone tried this in a tank with sponges? Sponges and air don't play well together so wondering if anyone's tried it...
I have a ton of sponges in my tank. I've been running the bubbles for a couple of months and haven't noticed any dying. There are more popping up every day so I don't think it's hurting anything

briancarterkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ton of sponges in my tank. I've been running the bubbles for a couple of months and haven't noticed any dying. There are more popping up every day so I don't think it's hurting anything
Thanks! Good to know.

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting - will have to keep it in mind! Someone should try timing it in sync with a wave maker for a bubbly surge effect.
Now THAT would look cool.
A question for any physics or hydrodynamics engineers following along- would running the return line under pressure be beneficial? Say, run an oversized return pump (ideally a pressure rated pump) and have it throttled way back (with the valve as close to the return outlet as possible) to pressurize the water in the return line? Would this help to "compress" the bubbles before they enter the tank? What kind of psi would be needed to compress the bubbles? Would running a longer return line (to allow more time for the bubbles to be exposed to the increased pressure) do any good?

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, my setup would be hard to incorporate an external return. And there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of choices as far as pressure rated submersibles. OK, no real choices. (Which, I don't understand why this is- with all the advances regarding this hobby in the past years, you'd think someone would've come up with a pressure rated submersible.)
It seems the best submersible I could come up with is the Sicce HF 12.0 (3200 gph, 17 ft head, 7.4 psi). If I were to run that pump with about 3ft of head, and reduced its output back to say 300gph, would it be enough to compress the bubbles?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back