Midwest, Advanced, and Envision Custom acrylic tanks

fishnovice33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to thank everyone for all the information on custom acrylic tank builders that I have been reading while lurking for weeks now. I am part of a freshwater forum for planted tanks but there is much more information here about tanks themselves.

For me it has come down to these 3 - Midwest Custom, Advanced Acrylics and Envision. I have quotes from all of them, Advanced Acrylics being significantly cheaper than the others, but I only care about quality.

My project is small and not complicated. Less than 75 gallons, freshwater. I feel commercial tanks are made too thin (1/4 inch) and that is the reason for major bowing and crazing. I’ve owned many from them without major issues but I want this one to last forever. I’ve owned many glass tanks as well and I won’t go that route ever again.

I am gathering final thoughts and insights on these companies. My project is small and probably not very interesting to anyone, but I really want a quality tank. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking forward to reading others feedback as I'm upgrading from a 50 gallon Clear for Life tank acrylic and I also agree with you on thickness. I've had the current tank for 15 years and I'm ready to upgrade to a larger system.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the Advanced Acrylics in CA? If so, I had a 47g AIO from them. Had them overbuild it with 3/4" panels cause I didn't want any bowing at all. Tank was absolutely flawless.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Midwest has very good reputation

OP
OP
F

fishnovice33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking forward to reading others feedback as I'm upgrading from a 50 gallon Clear for Life tank acrylic and I also agree with you on thickness. I've had the current tank for 15 years and I'm ready to upgrade to a larger system.

It is funny you say that I just got done contacting Clear for Life manufacturers (they responded to previous inquiry)- inquiring about them making the thickness at least 1/2 inch for >75 gallons. I was interested in their 60 gallon, but as you indicated I am not sure why these companies insist on 1/4 inch. I guess it’s cost, obviously, but still.

They have been great about communication. However their quote was more expensive than any of the custom builders I have listed, more than double their 1/4 inch material tank. I have owned TruVu and SeaClear which both held but the flaws gradually became more apparent though (crazing and bowing) after about 5 years and I know it was due to the thin material. I know these are to be expected with acrylic but I believe it can be minimized almost to nothing with quality materials.

Is this the Advanced Acrylics in CA? If so, I had a 47g AIO from them. Had them overbuild it with 3/4" panels cause I didn't want any bowing at all. Tank was absolutely flawless.

Yes, that’s him. His name is John, he has a lot of YouTube videos and seems to really be proud of his work. He has been great discussing my tank with me as well. I know these guys do bigger, more profitable projects so John, and really any of the guys I mentioned, have spent answering my questions and that’s commendable.

That’s good to know as this is my primary reason for spending $1,200 vs. $500 for a commercially made tank. Now you have me thinking it should be 3/4” lol.

As for the other responses, thank you. Midwest certainly does have a great reputation when looking around. Chris has been great communicating. His price was the highest quote I got, but clearly his reputation speaks for itself.

Last edited:

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no crazing on my Clear for Life and minimal bowing. That may due to it being a pentagon tank. The bowing can be seen to the naked eye mostly on the back two sides of the tank. That said, I've had this tank for over 15 years and has been through 2 moves. And still looks great. I'm just tired of dealing with the lack of space under the stand and would like a bigger tank. I'm at present leaning towards Midwest.

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of Advanced Acrylic’s tanks. They are only small 5 and 10 gallon AIO s that I use for qt tanks. I was actually quite surprised at the quality when they arrived. The seams were perfect and they were overbuilt for their size. In the future when I need a custom tank I will be contacting Advanced Acrylic!

OP
OP
F

fishnovice33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the input. After much discussion with all the builders, I have decided to go with Envision. James really took the time discussing my tank, even as small of a project as it is.

I have noticed there isn’t much about Envision on here so I plan to post detailed pictures of the final product once it arrives for reference. It is a 48x15x18, 1/2 inch acrylic, polished show tank.

Thanks again everyone.

OP
OP
F

fishnovice33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James sent me an update today, tank is curing and will be polished next week, and edges eased and then shipped a week after. Sent me a sneak peak pic. He’s been great this entire process.

My main concern was bowing and crazing and he gives his advice which I followed. If you follow him on another reef site you can tell from his posts he really knows what he is doing and is passionate about this craft.

Will update with final product!

A2975E59-6CD2-4314-800C-1C4D1B70D07C.jpeg

dzfish17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smart to go thicker with acrylic. My tank was made by Tenecor in 08 (out of business now) and they thought I was crazy for wanting 1 1/4" thickness on my 46" tall 600 gal tank. I'm glad I had it built thicker as there is no deflection at all.

OP
OP
F

fishnovice33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smart to go thicker with acrylic. My tank was made by Tenecor in 08 (out of business now) and they thought I was crazy for wanting 1 1/4" thickness on my 46" tall 600 gal tank. I'm glad I had it built thicker as there is no deflection at all.

Yep, agree. I don’t think you’re crazy at all. But I can see what they’re saying. Acrylic can get very expensive. It generally doubles in price every 1/4 inch. That’s insane. I almost went for 3/4 but was told at that point it was a waste of money for such a small tank.

And of course after tons of research I concurred, especially considering how the Eurobraceplays a role in it all, and has to be constructed correctly. James understands this.

I have had many commercial acrylics. Seaclear held the longest without any bow/deflection. But it started after 5 years. You were definitely smart about it. It’s hard understanding you need to save longer and get what will last. But well worth it.

Good choice.

Thanks! I have spent hours and hours researching. I’m a little OCD. It took a little more time to dig into Envision than the others, but keeping it short I’ll say this - I have yet to find a single complaint about his work which want true for the others (not to say these things don’t happen or reflect consistent bad workmanship, not true at all) just saying.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One problem when you have to wide of material, it is difficult to fit most wavemakers.

OP
OP
F

fishnovice33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One problem when you have to wide of material, it is difficult to fit most wavemakers.

True. Confession - this is a fresh water tank! I gave up saltwater long ago due to cost and maintenance. I loved it but I have been interested in planted tanks and aquascaping as of late.

So water flow not a concern, thought I see what your saying. Thick edges aren’t ideal for a lot of things. For me specifically, led light risers that won’t fit right and filters, skimmer etc.

Custom helps as you can design it accordingly. But all I care about it structure and no bowing or crazing. I can work around the rest. But I agree with your point and a lot of my equipment will require DYI projects for sure.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.8%
Back