Mindstream in the house!

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may end up putting mine in this back chamber if it will fit. This water is only dt water and sump water can’t mix with it - so won’t stay warm from the heater or oxygenated from the skimmer. It stays pretty dark, so no photosynthesis. If it doesn’t fit, my overflow would be the next place I tried, followed by the tank.

image.jpg

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be an interesting experiment once we get our MMs :)

I recently dealt with a bad O2 depletion event and using a Milwaukee DO meter with 3 skimmer pumps running in sump it measured lower DO than my display while the lights were on.

I guess it all depends on the skimmer size and how much gas exchange / photosynthesis there is in the tank but agree with @MnFish1 will be fun to look into this.

My only issue with the sump would be dosing pumps, but guess could put the monitor before the dosing tubes...

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other note. With the IoT integration. Tank owners can potentially setup something like https://ifttt.com/ to trigger dosing or commands if mindstream develops out the Zigbee integration. Apex has some limited commands with Alexa, if they integrated dosing then it could work together.

I have a smartthings hub and I'm hoping it will 'read' or have some commands with the mindstream but I'm very doubtful. Hopefully they will develop a way to get the parameters from their cloud or the mindstream. This way you can have a doser run on an interval with a command like:
if ALK < 8, dose 1ml

When mindstream exposes the data in a readable real time format or API, automated dosing will be possible. Right now it only seems possible to trigger an email - this can trigger a doser but is not ideal.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it delete faster in the sump or the dt?
I don’t think one can make a generalization about that as it depends on too many factors (creatures, light, surface area, depth, etc).

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some graphs showing the ph v alk and co2 v alk.

5E08C914-B4C0-4711-8CB3-B6330C3B4A64.png
D9533693-7000-43F0-A541-6C2A5F88D507.png

Very interesting showing the overlaps. Can’t wait to get mine!

I just don't see how Focustronic / GHL or Apex will team up with Mindstream for the controllable end of things. They've all gone their own ways.

It does have a niche for reefer's who only want the testing results alone.

But, holding my alk's dkh at a .3 24/7 variance, with my alkatronic has made a difference in sps growth.

lol
They need to get in Vertex (put the screws to them) with the Cerebra 7.
Vertex needs all the help that can get anyways. That new controller release has been an mash-pit.... ;Yuck

jm 2 cent

I totally agree about the Alkatronic, since I’ve been running mine and seeing the trends, the tank has been looking great.

Can’t wait to get my Mindstream and see the daily reports....just ordered it today.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was as well - just got (after a couple months my email from BRS - I had just ordered the mindstream - for ME - personally. I dont use the Apex to 'control things' so - this monitoring system seems quite a bit better.

I'm going with this logic.
Ive been debating on what way to go on these gadgets... I love gadgets. As a full GHL user and love their products, it's hard decision.

I don't want a DKH director along with an ION director along with 2 more dosing pumps along with constantly calibrating, probe changes, reagents etc.

This Mindstream seems like a better option for me personally and the way I tend to reef.

Still going to watch how this plays out for a couple months.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going with this logic.
Ive been debating on what way to go on these gadgets... I love gadgets. As a full GHL user and love their products, it's hard decision.

I don't want a DKH director along with an ION director along with 2 more dosing pumps along with constantly calibrating, probe changes, reagents etc.

This Mindstream seems like a better option for me personally and the way I tend to reef.

Still going to watch how this plays out for a couple months.

I was about sold on an Alkatronic, which all indications are is a great device. However, I would sort of be trading one type of maintenance for another. The Mindstream won’t automatically dose anything but will give me enough info to know when things get out of whack. Right now I dose kalk via a stirrer and also run via my ATO 24/7. I still lose about .15 DKH alk per day and add sodium bicarbonate every 3 days to make-up. I’ll be adding an Aquarium Engineering ACR Ca reactor, hopefully this month (just waiting on it to come in), which will eliminate the sodium bicarbonate additions, and even though the Mindstream isn’t going to do anything to keep alk constant, it will let me know if I need to adjust the ACR or kalk dosing (I will continue to dose kalk when I add the reactor but probably won’t continue topping-off with kalk). Being handicapped, reducing maintenance is important to me, and I think this setup will require the least amount of maintenance or at least the least amount of maintenance I have to do personally.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Mindstream won’t automatically dose anything but will give me enough info to know when things get out of whack.
Exactly. The more I ponder, the more I want to do less, not in lazy, but in just less stuff to worry about. I already dose 2 part and is working just fine.

As I said, I absolutely love gadgets, but too many can just become too much, too much maintenance on top of constantly adjusting equipment.[/QUOTE]

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a benefit in having it in the main display? I was planning on putting mine there, but if I can put it in my sump, that’s even better!

THe o2 readings likely higher in the sump if you have a skimmer in there. If it's close to your kalkwasser drip or Ca reactor your ph levels will be different. Mine is going to go in the sump as I don't use kalkwasser or a Ca reactor.

Mr4000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bit the bullet on monday and ordered mine with the macna discount it was a little easier ordering! I to will have to replace some hanna reagents before i get mine. I have the apex but i stll think the mindstream with all it measures is a better deal. It definitely would of helped me out last night as i unplugged my auto top off of monday and never plugged it back in. I noticed one of my corals not expanding and new something was up, my sump was down a few inches which ended up raising my salinity which the mindstream hopefully would of alerted me sooner as i have never trusted my apex salinity probe(which i took out a long time ago).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bit the bullet on monday and ordered mine with the macna discount it was a little easier ordering! I to will have to replace some hanna reagents before i get mine. I have the apex but i stll think the mindstream with all it measures is a better deal. It definitely would of helped me out last night as i unplugged my auto top off of monday and never plugged it back in. I noticed one of my corals not expanding and new something was up, my sump was down a few inches which ended up raising my salinity which the mindstream hopefully would of alerted me sooner as i have never trusted my apex salinity probe(which i took out a long time ago).

Actually - you could also consider not replacing your hanna reagents - and just testing less frequently - my guess the results would be the same.

Mr4000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your right i won't quit testing with my hanna it will be less just to make sure the MS is reading accurate.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 20.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 21 11.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back