Misleading Size Options for BRS Citric Acid

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Hooloovoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a 128 oz. container of BRS Citric Acid. When I received it, I noticed that the container had quite a bit of empty space (about 2.5" worth), so I decided to weigh it to make sure it was really 128 oz. It only came to 103 oz. on my scale. That's almost 25% less than expected.

I reached out to BRS support about this, and was told that their measurements for citric acid are in fluid ounces, not net weight. There is nothing on the packaging or their website that mentions that the sizes are in fact fl. oz. or that they are volumetric. When I expressed to the customer support agent that I felt this was misleading, I was told:
That is just the way marketing has chosen to label these. We have requested teh clarification be made many, many times.

Interestingly, Sicce's "Pump Cleaner" product, also sold on BRS, is also listed with its size reported in oz. without specifying if the measurement is net weight or volumetric. So is Sicce Pump Clean also sold in fluid ounces? No. If you take a closer look at the label, it shows that the size is 900 gr / 32oz. 900 grams = roughly 2 lbs. or 32 oz. nt. wt.

I have to assume that this practice of using fl. oz. measurements without explicitly saying so extends to other BRS made products as well. Buyer beware.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy this on Amazon; available in a one pack or a two pack. It Last along time, and is very good at cleaning. Also I’ve never seen Citric Acid Sold by Volume, always by weight.

Roots Circle All-Natural Citric Acid | 1 Pack - 1.80 Pounds | Kosher for Passover | Food-Grade​

Moscar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a 128 oz. container of BRS Citric Acid. When I received it, I noticed that the container had quite a bit of empty space (about 2.5" worth), so I decided to weigh it to make sure it was really 128 oz. It only came to 103 oz. on my scale. That's almost 25% less than expected.

I reached out to BRS support about this, and was told that their measurements for citric acid are in fluid ounces, not net weight. There is nothing on the packaging or their website that mentions that the sizes are in fact fl. oz. or that they are volumetric. When I expressed to the customer support agent that I felt this was misleading, I was told:

Interestingly, Sicce's "Pump Cleaner" product, also sold on BRS, is also listed with its size reported in oz. without specifying if the measurement is net weight or volumetric. So is Sicce Pump Clean also sold in fluid ounces? No. If you take a closer look at the label, it shows that the size is 900 gr / 32oz. 900 grams = roughly 2 lbs. or 32 oz. nt. wt.

I have to assume that this practice of using fl. oz. measurements without explicitly saying so extends to other BRS made products as well. Buyer beware.

I have switched to this company. Great to deal with.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back