Mobius is junk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I said it and I’m sure there’s more people that feels the same way. I’m sure admins will not agree with this post but enough Is enough.

How can you rely on one of the most expensive lights systems in the aquarium industry that for some reason reverts to a different date and time on its own randomly?

People have thousands of dollars invested in corals and some of us spend money on high end equipment for these things not to happen.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the hobby has moved away from simplicity. It amazes me how many rely on their phones to run their tanks. I think it's mostly because society has groomed all of us to be enamored with ourselves. The more blinky blink we can have on our tanks to not only impress ourselves but everyone else, the better we feel. Some day..........someone is going to figure out how to disable all of our devices. Then our tanks will be done.

Or better yet when we are all forced into paying micro subcriptions for every piece of equipment on our tanks. That day is right around the corner.

I still can't figure out why anyone would want their main return pump to rely solely on another device for it to run, such as a controller. Your just asking for trouble. But hell what do I know, except for the fact that an iwaki pump will run for ever as long as it plugged into an outlet.

OP
OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the hobby has moved away from simplicity. It amazes me how many rely on their phones to run their tanks. I think it's mostly because society has groomed all of us to be enamored with ourselves. The more blinky blink we can have on our tanks to not only impress ourselves but everyone else, the better we feel. Some day..........someone is going to figure out how to disable all of our devices. Then our tanks will be done.

Or better yet when we are all forced into paying micro subcriptions for every piece of equipment on our tanks. That day is right around the corner.

I still can't figure out why anyone would want their main return pump to rely solely on another device for it to run, such as a controller. Your just asking for trouble. But hell what do I know, except for the fact that an iwaki pump will run for ever as long as it plugged into an outlet.
I totally agree with you. With t5s soon to be gone and halide already basically gone the only thing we have is these high end led lights. I’m doing homework to see what is out there that would be more reliable. What lights are you using.

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in complete agreement. The time/date change happens to me every few months at random. It's absolutely infuriating and completely unacceptable. I'd love to see a response from the devs at Ecotech.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This!!! I know people with reefs that have it all automated and use all red sea stuff because its all in one app. I recently got a new wavemaker where the actual physical control works and I love it! F my red sea wavemakers. Im going to be replacing them. And my AI light has nothing but issues when I mess with the brightness in the app. Wish it had a dial… people keep trying to get me to upgrade to all the newest stuff and Im just like nah Im good

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with you. With t5s soon to be gone and halide already basically gone the only thing we have is these high end led lights. I’m doing homework to see what is out there that would be more reliable. What lights are you using.

Different strokes for different folks. Having said that you should probably ask yourself what it is you are trying to accomplish rather than what someone else is using. Two people can use the same piece of equipment and have two totally different experiences. It doesn't mean one is right or the other is wrong just that they have a different experience.

There are a lot of different light solutions out there but most LED's on the market today will have some form of app that they use. Doesn't matter if it is a overseas knockoff or named. Having said that Ecotech, Radion, and Mobius are probably more commonly used lighting solutions in the US. I don't have numbers to back that up obviously but from a visual marketing standpoint and social media there are a lot of displays with those over them.

Point being if everyone had troubles or the app/control was that bad they wouldn't be as popular.

TL; DR - as a fellow hobbyist I can hear and understand the frustration though. Hope it gets better for you.

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I said it and I’m sure there’s more people that feels the same way. I’m sure admins will not agree with this post but enough Is enough.

How can you rely on one of the most expensive lights systems in the aquarium industry that for some reason reverts to a different date and time on its own randomly?

People have thousands of dollars invested in corals and some of us spend money on high end equipment for these things not to happen.
Im in complete agreement with you, one of my lights is acting up now because of Mobius time and date issue.

The lights are great but the app is shet

OP
OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different strokes for different folks. Having said that you should probably ask yourself what it is you are trying to accomplish rather than what someone else is using. Two people can use the same piece of equipment and have two totally different experiences. It doesn't mean one is right or the other is wrong just that they have a different experience.

There are a lot of different light solutions out there but most LED's on the market today will have some form of app that they use. Doesn't matter if it is a overseas knockoff or named. Having said that Ecotech, Radion, and Mobius are probably more commonly used lighting solutions in the US. I don't have numbers to back that up obviously but from a visual marketing standpoint and social media there are a lot of displays with those over them.

Point being if everyone had troubles or the app/control was that bad they wouldn't be as popular.

TL; DR - as a fellow hobbyist I can hear and understand the frustration though. Hope it gets better for you.
The problem is there. Look on the Facebook groups ask anyone that owns a g6 on mobius and they will tell you.

OP
OP
iiluisii

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in complete agreement with you, one of my lights is acting up now because of Mobius time and date issue.

The lights are great but the app is shet
Yes same here I love the lights they are great. My deal is why ecotech does no do anything to resolve the issue. With the amount of people having this issue you would think they will fix it. Hell I know a store owner that has nothing but ecotech lights over their tank and they also have issues.

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the date/time issue is that uncommon. What I find comical is several of my real-life reefing pals were complaining about it and it had never happened to me. Shortly after one of those conversations, one of them said it was fixed. About 1 week later it happened to me. It continues to occur for me at random every few months, yet my one friend has not experienced it since.

The last time it happened to me was after the DST switch. It happened TWICE in one day about 6 hours apart. Jan 1, 2060 if I remember, was the date it picked.

There is clearly a bug in the code - whether it's firmware on the actual hardware device causing Mobius to have a fit or the Mobius source is challenged, something needs to be fixed and it's 100% a software problem. In my case, it affects both my blades and my radions - which would be expected.

Funny enough, Just last week one of my other friends started to complain about it again.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This first started for me when I bought Hydra 32 and did an update. Prior to that I had a HD16 and Nero3 on one tank and it worked fine.
The fix was to configure 2 tanks. One for pumps and one for Hydra. That fixed the issue.

I now run Hydra32 and Wave45 so the issue went away.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is there. Look on the Facebook groups ask anyone that owns a g6 on mobius and they will tell you.

I don't doubt you. I am just noting that there are a lot of Radion users out there. How that correlates to users experiencing the issue, or similar issues you described, I know not. In short how common is it really?

Now that isn't helping you any of course so I'll just button it up. Hopefully you find a solution while keeping the product or going outside and recouping some of the cost.

I did forget to ask - have you reached out to their support and what was their advice or recommendation? Did they acknowledge it or offer any suggestions on how to address?

Hope your day outside of this is going well.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't doubt you. I am just noting that there are a lot of Radion users out there. How that correlates to users experiencing the issue, or similar issues you described, I know not. In short how common is it really?

Now that isn't helping you any of course so I'll just button it up. Hopefully you find a solution while keeping the product or going outside and recouping some of the cost.

I did forget to ask - have you reached out to their support and what was their advice or recommendation? Did they acknowledge it or offer any suggestions on how to address?

Hope your day outside of this is going well.
This has been an issue for months and affects both Radeon and AI users as they are all owned by the one company

Vjames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Especially after the new update it's been a horror. A couple of people I know burnt their whole tank.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had time drift slightly but no major reset. I control 6 hydra 32hds with Mobius. All latest firmware. No pumps.

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man, I guess now is not the time for me to admit that I am an Ecotech Fan boy... Double down here and say Neptune also. I have had my issues but I have also found ways to work around them. Should I have to do that, no, but the end product which is my corals growing they do not suffer.

How often are you changing your light or pump settings? Me, I don't, I set it and forget it. But I am also using apex to help with that. I couldn't even tell you if the times on the equipment I have is correct. I can say that it comes on and off when I need it to.

As far as needing the equipment to run my system, ehhh it does make it alot easier, but I can do it with out it. Equipment for me just makes it where everything is on a schedule.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I guess now is not the time for me to admit that I am an Ecotech Fan boy... Double down here and say Neptune also. I have had my issues but I have also found ways to work around them. Should I have to do that, no, but the end product which is my corals growing they do not suffer.

How often are you changing your light or pump settings? Me, I don't, I set it and forget it. But I am also using apex to help with that. I couldn't even tell you if the times on the equipment I have is correct. I can say that it comes on and off when I need it to.

As far as needing the equipment to run my system, ehhh it does make it alot easier, but I can do it with out it. Equipment for me just makes it where everything is on a schedule.

I wouldn't say fan but it is honesty in reefing.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back